• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-incendiary thread: Is male homosexuality correlated with narcisissm?

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
***Disclaimer: I am not implying that homosexuality is caused solely by narcissism. I am only wondering if it is a significant/contributing independent variable in the equation.***

Women often rue the fact that "the hot guys are always gay". I myself have noticed that homosexual men generally tend to be better looking than straight men (obviously not in all or even most cases, but it appears to me the normal curve would be shifted a bit). Cue calling me a **** jokes here. Clever, you.

Anyway, I was giving it some thought. I wonder if being attractive/soft-effeminate-featured is an influence in becoming homosexual? Does staring at onerself in the mirror and thinking "One is hot ****" make one start liking men more?

Food for thought.

Suave

Reaction score
it's hard to say. all people are different. some gay men have never experienced a woman, so they go gay, others might feel narcicistic, some were just "born that way". but i hardly ever see those types..someone or something happened in their life that changed their perspective

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
No, I believe in gay culture the men worry about looks more to attract gay men, similar to how women worry about their looks to attract men. Gay men are also more willing to use make up and skin moisturizers. (Scientific brain scans and studies also show that gay men's brains are more similar to a woman's brain)

Straight men don't usually worry about looks as much as guy men. If a man is at least decent looking and have something going on (financially and/or socially), a man can usually find a woman.
5086.gif

I am talking about basic things like facial structure, not just how they primp or dress themselves.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Maybe unattractive gays just stay in the closet. See: Connemara.

I was thinking something like this. Some kind of self selection going on.

rdaws

Reaction score
If you find yourself attractive, fine. That doesn't mean the nature of the attraction is sexual, and I'm not sure how you make the leap from "I find myself attractive" to "I like guys" -- unless what you find attractive about yourself is your maleness, in which case I'd say you've only discovered something that was already there.

In other words... you won't find your maleness sexually attractive unless you're already gay.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
No, I think that in gay culture the men worry about their looks more to attract gay men, similar to how women worry about their looks to attract men. Gay men are also more willing to use make up and skin moisturizers. (Scientific brain scans and studies also show that gay men's brains are similar to a woman's brain)

Straight men don't usually worry about looks as much as gay men. If a man is at least decent looking and have something going on (financially and/or socially), a man can usually find a woman easier than a woman can get a man. So there is no pressure for straight men to care about their looks as much.
5086.gif

Not to threadjack, but do mean for a permanent relationship as opposed to a hook-up? Seems like girls have the advantage in the one night stand category.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I notice many gay men are "pretty." By that I mean they look very feminine. I think gay people in general just appreciate and recognize beauty more.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I worked as a barman at the gay pride in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago. There were some heterosexuals there but of course also a lot of homosexuals.

I can't say they as a group were other than average looking. Some handsome men of course and some less so.

I did miss the canal parade with all the jacked types, but you weren't talking about that.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I thought we'd all agreed that gay people are/were caused by The Neverending Story.

I'm not sure what caused gheyness before that movie came out, but according to Rach, that is the cause of all modern gayness. He's the expert.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are two contrasting considerations in my mind:

1. "Attractive" homosexuals stand out, so we probably tend to pay them more mind. Notwithstanding, there is no shortage of ugly or average looking gheyz in the world.

2. A friend once told me - and, upon reflection, I came to believe him - that vanity is among the principal traits of the female. One would need to draw several inferences to reach this conclusion, but I don't think that drawing a line between a man's excess of vanity and his homosexuality is untenable.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hetero guys aren't overly concerned about their appearances because there are so many other overriding factors to get them laid with women. But they want a hot girl, so they're going to judge looks.

**** guys are trying to attact other guys, who are going to judge them as if they were women... They practically have to believe in their looks, as much as any girl does, because it's their bargaining chip.

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want an intelligent & critical meditation about this topic, I'd suggest Michael Warner's essay "****-narcissism, or Heterosexuality." It's in a volume titled Engendering Men.

Or you could stick with trite, common sense bullshit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics