1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Non-Clarks desert boots: LL Bean vs Land's End

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Stavros, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Stavros

Stavros Senior member

I like the general idea of crepe-soled, suede boots, but Clarks look too chunky and wide in the toe box. I'm looking into these three options:

1st picture: Land's End desert boot
    2nd picture: Land's End Canvas desert boot (looks the most similar to Clarks?)
    3rd picture: LL Bean Signature buck chukka

Any comments? Quality-wise? Any other suggestions?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JTG

JTG Member

Best looking Desert boot around is the Loake. They do come up about a whole size too big and I don't know if you can get them over there (I'm in UK)
    You can view them on our site www.jumpthegun.co.uk
    regards.

3. a-rock

a-rock Senior member

Not sure if the LE Canvas db is Clarks or some other third party. Not sure they manufacture their own for Canvas as they use AE for the dress shoes.

The regular LE db is junk. I have a hard time believing it's actually suede because I'm seen it before and feels more like plastic. Probably equivalent to a $20 hosebrand shoe from Target or Walmart. Can't believe it's priced at $99.

4. Chrispy

Chrispy Senior member

Whoa, JTG has an account? Awesome

Also, you could try and find the Clark's Desert boot on point. They were desert boots but narrower tow box, little more of a point to them.

5. JTG

JTG Member

Many thanks for the welcome.

6. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    There is a reseller on Ebay who is selling the JCrew Suede MacAlister boots for around $60 to $70 shipped, NEW. I think they look better then the Clark versions and are made in Italy.

I'm also in love with these from Topman: http://us.topman.com/webapp/wcs/stor...7241&langId=-1

The red stitching and laces, take them over the top IMO. They are out of 13's, so I need to find out if they run big.

7. CyanideDragon

CyanideDragon Well-Known Member

I like the general idea of crepe-soled, suede boots, but Clarks look too chunky and wide in the toe box. I'm looking into these three options:

I got the LE boots @ sears in february for $15 on clearance. The fit is true to size, but I really don't think of them as desert boots, more like all weather boots in typical LE material. Kinda feel like they material is made from some kinda plasticly suede. I do wish I bought 3 more pairs to sell on ebay.

8. Robert

Robert Senior member

This is very bizarre to me. It's like saying, sure I can get Converse lowtops but American Eagle is making some great lookalikes.

If you're going off the Clarks reservation, at least make a quantum leap into much higher class territory. Get something that's definitely more expensive and more whatever, stylish, better constructed, etc.

Otherwise, if you're just looking for equivalents in the same price and quality range, I just don't see the sense of getting anything in a desert boot other than a Clarks.

9. tcolberg

tcolberg Well-Known Member

Are the MacAlister's TTS or do you need to size down like with the Clark's DB?

10. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

same size as clarks when i tried them on

11. everybodynobody

everybodynobody Senior member

I like the general idea of crepe-soled, suede boots, but Clarks look too chunky and wide in the toe box.
    The J. Crew DBs have a pointier toe than Clark's.

12. swooc

swooc Senior member

more 6 eyelets please.