• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non Black Tuxedo? Is this the end of the world?

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been mulling about the idea of getting some formal wear to use for upcoming weddings, dinners, and other formal events. I was browsing about on J.A.B because someone mentioned that they usually have very inexpensive tuxedos and I was wondering how they looked (pretty bad for the most part). However I did find one that seemed really interesting:

9904e.jpg

I personally think it would be nifty as a second "playful" tuxedo.

What says SF about the blackwatch tux?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
I'm sure I could find a way to work such a jacket into my wardrobe, however I just looked and they do not have it in my size. On a related note, I wanted to add a white dinner jacket, however my tuxedo was bespoke and I would prefer not to shell out the $$$ to have them make me a dinner jacket I will rarely use. Would it be a horrible idea to buy a cheaper dinner jacket to sometimes wear with the pants?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the black watch tuxedo is a very american idea, that's not a critisism, just an observation.
I don't think it looks terrible, but I wouldn't wear it. Also it's a notch lapel, don't know if you care about that. If you have a dj already and are looking for something a bit different velvet jackets are the way to go IMO.
If you just wanted to add a bit of colour you could get tartan Trews in blackwatch, although they look better with a prince charlie type jacket than a regular DJ.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
I'm sure I could find a way to work such a jacket into my wardrobe, however I just looked and they do not have it in my size. On a related note, I wanted to add a white dinner jacket, however my tuxedo was bespoke and I would prefer not to shell out the $$$ to have them make me a dinner jacket I will rarely use. Would it be a horrible idea to buy a cheaper dinner jacket to sometimes wear with the pants?

I don't see why you shouldn't get a cheaper white jacket to go with your exsisting trousers, you don't have to worry about colour matching or anything if the jacket is white and the trousers black, I don't see how anyone could possibly know they were not bought to go togther.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
I don't see why you shouldn't get a cheaper white jacket to go with your exsisting trousers, you don't have to worry about colour matching or anything if the jacket is white and the trousers black, I don't see how anyone could possibly know they were not bought to go togther.

I have no experience with J.A.B, how lousy is the jacket going to look?

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience with J.A.B, how lousy is the jacket going to look?

That I couldn't say, I live in Britain so I have never bought anything from them myself. I would want to see them IRL before buying one, a bad white dinner jacket could be pretty horrible. But you should find a white DJ if you like them, they look very sauve. The weather here is too poor generally to make one worthwhile, but I do admire them, I have a velvet jacket for variety, it's nice and warm too, which is a plus.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by youngscientist
That I couldn't say, I live in Britain so I have never bought anything from them myself. I would want to see them IRL before buying one, a bad white dinner jacket could be pretty horrible. But you should find a white DJ if you like them, they look very sauve. The weather here is too poor generally to make one worthwhile, but I do admire them, I have a velvet jacket for variety, it's nice and warm too, which is a plus.

Yea, I thought it would be a nice change of pace sometimes during the spring/summer season.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since 'bama wears one, notch lapels are OK, I guess.

Would be nicer with peaked ones.

Midnight blue is also a conservative choice for evening clothes.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm fond of patterned dinner jackets for use in at-home parties or smaller scale settings with friends. Here's one of the ones that I have:

483795730_2XTz7-M.jpg

I prefer shawl lapels on such dinner jackets. If a plaid, I might also avoid a regimental pattern...a Black Watch tartan is probably okay in the US.

I always reach for a black dinner jacket, though, for occasions that are more event-ish or that are attended by people that I don't know already.

- B

videocrew

Reaction score
Yea, I thought it would be a nice change of pace sometimes during the spring/summer season.
I don't know to which jacket you were referring, but neither Blackwatch nor velvet are usually worn during the spring/summer. They're both very wintry. On the other hand, the ivory shawl collar looks great in summer.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by videocrew
I don't know to which jacket you were referring, but neither Blackwatch nor velvet are usually worn during the spring/summer. They're both very wintry. On the other hand, the ivory shawl collar looks great in summer.

I was referring to a white dinner jacket for spring/summer.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like that one in particular because it's notch lapel, shawl would be much nicer.

I recently attended a small charity auction/"semi-formal" gala. One guy wore a dinner jacket, most wore suit and tie, a few in odd jackets (the women wore everything from fairly plain "little black dresses" to nice cocktail and tea-length dresses). I wore a Blackwatch tartan 2 button blazer (basically, exactly like that but without the silk/grosgrain faced lapels) and it was well recieved.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
I don't like that one in particular because it's notch lapel, shawl would be much nicer. I recently attended a small charity auction/"semi-formal" gala. One guy wore a dinner jacket, most wore suit and tie, a few in odd jackets (the women wore everything from fairly plain "little black dresses" to nice cocktail and tea-length dresses). I wore a Blackwatch tartan 2 button blazer (basically, exactly like that but without the black collar) and it was well recieved.
Why would anyone come in black tie to a "semi-formal"

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would anyone come in black tie to a "semi-formal"

I guess he saw gala and on the invite and thought gala = black tie.

In before the "black tie is semi-formal" crowd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics