• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non Black Tuxedo? Is this the end of the world?

jmix1

Reaction score
Black tie is semi-formal. Sounds like the gent in the dinner jacket was the only male attendee who was properly attired.

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jmix1
Black tie is semi-formal. Sounds like the gent in the dinner jacket was the only male attendee who was properly attired.
It always says "black tie" when it is black tie. Generally it will say cocktail attire when it isn't a black tie function but it's generally accepted that in modern parlance semi-formal = cocktail = wear a suit.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Black watch tuxedos have been around forever.

It's not the end of the world.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I have always wanted a brown tuxedo.

Ralph Lauren did a really nice one for Purple Label.
Every so often, I see mohair barathea in brown that would be perfect for this. But I don't know how hard it would be to source the silk if you wanted brown - especially if you wanted something other than a satin.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
LabelKing;1814491 said:
I feel a brown tuxedo would look nice with a black grosgrain silk.
I agree, but it would depend on how light the cloth was. A mid-brown would look good with a dark chocolate silk and a dark brown with black silk.

RLPL did a double-breasted version, I recall.
That's the one I saw, but I wouldn't be surprised if he did a whole suite of looks. Once he sourced the cloth, it is easy to make it up each way.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
pPOLO2-5240361_standard_v330.jpg

- B

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
I have always wanted a brown tuxedo.

I would like to have a powder blue 70's style tuxedo made to my specs to wear to the stuffiest events as a joke.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

'scuse the gratuitous view of my crotch, I had been dancing and was pretty tired by that stage I think, but there is a brown (velvet) dinner jacket

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AscotMcPocketsquare
It always says "black tie" when it is black tie. Generally it will say cocktail attire when it isn't a black tie function but it's generally accepted that in modern parlance semi-formal = cocktail = wear a suit.

Unless you feel the need to wear something velvet.

What shoes would you wear with a brown dinner jacket? I've seen some brown calf pumps, perhaps they were for brown tuxedos?

AscotMcPocketsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Unless you feel the need to wear something velvet.

What shoes would you wear with a brown dinner jacket? I've seen some brown calf pumps, perhaps they were for brown tuxedos?

I am not the brown dinner jacket proponent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads