• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-black raincoats over dark suits: which colours work?

TheLondoner

Reaction score
I am curious to see what people think of non-black overcoats, raincoats, car coats etc. worn over a suit. I appreciate that black is probably more formal, but what I have in mind is something to wear in both a business context, where most people wear suits, but few people wear ties, and at weekend with a pair of denim or chinos without looking too pretentious. In other words, it’s not black-tie or dinner-with-the-Queen/PM/President type of formal/elegant.

Adding where people live would be useful to get some colour (pun intended...) as these things can vary greatly from country to country.

I’d think some type of ecru/camel shade probably works in the spring or summer, especially if it’s rainy but wearing black under the sun might be too hot. Something like:
https://www.rohan.co.uk/mens-bargai...othing-in-the-souk-Newtown-Mac?ocode=04375098

I am not too sure what to think of blue and navy raincoats; would you wear them over black, charcoal or grey suits? I might conceive navy or dark navy over grey, but midnight-blue, petrol blue, electric-kind-of-blue over charcoal or black seems like an eyesore to me.

This blue (2nd picture attached) seems nice over denim, but I wouldn't wear it over a suit. You?
https://www.gebnegozionline.com/en/products/index/moorer-191531-563/

Same story for this "kingfisher" Arcteryx trench coat (3rd picture) : I'd wear it over denim but probably not over a suit.
https://www.arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/keppel-trench-coat 04375_AlternateView1_Large.jpg 1_645402-MOORER-Blue-polyester-Petrarca-jacket.jpg Keppel-Trench-Coat-Kingfisher-Outfit.jpg

Thoughts?
Thanks!

TheLondoner

Reaction score
PS the question is generic, about colours in general more than a specific raincoat.
However, I'd need a truly waterproof raincoat, with a proper waterproof membrane like GoreTex or equivalent, which limits the choice greatly. I appreciate lots of people are perfectly happy with raincoats without a membrane, eg Burberrys or others, but that doesn't work for me, so please don't try to convince me I don't need a waterproof membrane :)

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you like is fine.

You are making far too much of these things and , why do you need a second thread on the same subject? If no body meets your exacting standards the first time then asking the same question with minor changes twenty four hours later will not elicit different replies.

TheLondoner

Reaction score
It's not a second thread on the same subject. In my other thread I was asking about insulated, winter coats/parkas, and I want them in black. No question about colour in the other thread.

Here I am asking about non-inusulated lightweight raincoats, and here I am asking about colour.

So you'd wear a midnight blue raincoat over a black or charcoal suit?

CloudLi

Reaction score
Raincoat is never formal, you should never wear a raincoat to black tie, so stop thinking about whether a raincoat would match the formality of your dark suits because it never will. In other word, buy a camel or navy or Olive or whatever you like, if you want something formal, get a chesterfield overcoat, you wear raincoat because it rains

TheLondoner

Reaction score
I find blue or navy over a charcoal or black suit an eyesore; evidently not everyone does, so I'm curious about opinions. I am talking about the colour match per se, regardless of whether what's worn over a suit is a cheap raincoat or a $10,000 bespoke coat you would wear for a gala dinner at the White House.

Maybe it's just me - I also find black shoes with blue suits (not navy, blue) an eyesore, but I definitely seem to be in the minority on this.

Formal and elegant can mean lots of different things to different people... Of course I won't wear a raincoat to a black tie, I thought I had explicitly said the context was an ordinary business office context, not black tie. I suppose I wasn't clear. Let me try to rephrase, then. I am in a business context in which I wear charcoal, dark grey and black suits, most often with no tie. I appreciate not everyone likes to wear black suits to the office but to each his own.

The question is not: "would you wear a raincoat?" ; the question is: in this context I have just described, which (if any) non-black colour do you think would be more appropriate, to be worn over a dark grey/charcoal or black suit?

If the very idea of a raincoat over a suit offends you :) then think of what colour would be most appropriate for any kind of coat or other garment of your choice to be worn over dark suits.

To put things in context, lots of colleagues, business partners etc. show up to work with things like The North Face hiking jackets, scruffy waxed cotton jackets, short quilted jackets or down jackets with the tail of their blazers poking out from underneath, etc. In this context, a black raincoat is not inappropriate and would still make me look if not "smarter" certainly way less scruffy than all these people.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PS the question is generic, about colours in general more than a specific raincoat.
However, I'd need a truly waterproof raincoat, with a proper waterproof membrane like GoreTex or equivalent, which limits the choice greatly. I appreciate lots of people are perfectly happy with raincoats without a membrane, eg Burberrys or others, but that doesn't work for me, so please don't try to convince me I don't need a waterproof membrane :)
I find blue or navy over a charcoal or black suit an eyesore; evidently not everyone does, so I'm curious about opinions. I am talking about the colour match per se, regardless of whether what's worn over a suit is a cheap raincoat or a $10,000 bespoke coat you would wear for a gala dinner at the White House.

Maybe it's just me - I also find black shoes with blue suits (not navy, blue) an eyesore, but I definitely seem to be in the minority on this.

Formal and elegant can mean lots of different things to different people... Of course I won't wear a raincoat to a black tie, I thought I had explicitly said the context was an ordinary business office context, not black tie. I suppose I wasn't clear. Let me try to rephrase, then. I am in a business context in which I wear charcoal, dark grey and black suits, most often with no tie. I appreciate not everyone likes to wear black suits to the office but to each his own.

The question is not: "would you wear a raincoat?" ; the question is: in this context I have just described, which (if any) non-black colour do you think would be more appropriate, to be worn over a dark grey/charcoal or black suit?

If the very idea of a raincoat over a suit offends you :) then think of what colour would be most appropriate for any kind of coat or other garment of your choice to be worn over dark suits.

To put things in context, lots of colleagues, business partners etc. show up to work with things like The North Face hiking jackets, scruffy waxed cotton jackets, short quilted jackets or down jackets with the tail of their blazers poking out from underneath, etc. In this context, a black raincoat is not inappropriate and would still make me look if not "smarter" certainly way less scruffy than all these people.

Why would you not wear a Macintosh to a black tie event if you had to walk in the rain? Upon arrival you take it off as you enter the building and hand it to the porter for safe keeping. There is nothing demeaning about that and it is preferable to sitting looking like a drowned rat.

TheLondoner

Reaction score
I don't really care much about what to wear at black tie events because the reality is I rarely ever go to one!

My question was more a generic curiosity about what people think of certain colour matches - that's all.

CloudLi

Reaction score
Black tie is just an example, raincoat should not be wear with any dark business suit. But we still do because it rains. You are thinking too much

TheLondoner

Reaction score
I'm genuinely not following. So the answer is: whatever, don't think about it, any colour works the same over a dark suit??

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Black tie is just an example, raincoat should not be wear with any dark business suit.
This is drivel.

I return, wearily, to my suggestion in the other thread: buy a Burberry. Buy it in the classic tan. You can wear it with anything.

Furthermore, if you own a black suit and do not frequent funerals, burn it.

TheLondoner

Reaction score
Mmm, who would have thought that asking the banal question : "I'm curious, what do you think of navy or blue over black or charcoal?" could have ever been met with such hostility!

TheLondoner

Reaction score
PS I repeat, wearily, that I want a waterproof membrane, which is one of the reasons why Burberrys are not an option.

I reiterate, wearily, that I fully appreciate that most people do not feel the need for a membrane, and that, in fact, the vast majority of Burberry clients do not even know what a membrane is, but this doesn't change the fact that I want one, for the reasons already mentioned.

Finally, it does strike me as odd how some conversations here resemble the odd situation whereby someone asking: "which coffee do you recommend?" gets told : "you should really drink tea"! :)

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mmm, who would have thought that asking the banal question : "I'm curious, what do you think of navy or blue over black or charcoal?" could have ever been met with such hostility!
It's not hostility. Navy blue over navy blue is fine. Black is fine for outerwear, too, although not my preference. There really isn't much to discuss. You don't like it, fine. Don't wear those colors. Wear something else. You already demonstrated in your other thread that dressing well is not your priority.

I also suspect that you are something of a troll. You ask for "advice" but then argue against every suggestion offered. I don't think you actually want advice, I think you want attention. Forgive me if I'm misjudging you.

TheLondoner

Reaction score
Today I went to the Norwegian Rain store in London and took the time to share my thoughts on the coats I tried in the dedicated thread on this forum. Not arguing over anything with anyone, simply sharing my two cents, thinking it might be useful, especially because this is the only single brand store outside Norway and this brand is not super easy to find. Is this what trolls do?

Just because I didn't say: "great - I'll buy it straight away" doesn't mean I was arguing against every suggestion. I thanked people for recommending brands I wasn't aware of; I mostly argued that a number of recommendations didn't meet the criterion of the waterproof membrane. And that some were simply unavailable in Europe.

If you think that considering wearing a Prada or Moorer or Zegna raincoat over a suit to go to work means that "dressing well is not my priority"... What can I say, we are all entitled to our opinions, but attacking and criticising strangers like this seems way more typical of a troll than asking a few questions! I do have a modicum of curiosity, though, on what work you do, and what you wear to work if those choices seem so questionable to you!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 86 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads