• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-BD collar with nice roll - where to buy?

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for a shirt with such a collar with a nice roll? It doesn't seem to be a BD shirt, but the effect is similar I'd say:

I'd say it is a tall and long point collar with ample tie space. Probably unlined. I like it b/c it looks less stiff, should work fabulously with any non conservative business dress outfit.

Any RTW or MTM source for this?

Zeppelin

Reaction score
@Johnsson & @nmprisons ... thanks for your replies! So a BD with hidden buttons, makes perfect sense. That makes it a little more studied and less carefree, but a nice look nevertheless.

So question is, where to find such a shirt? Afaik you can attach those hidden buttons to basically any collar, but I need a shirt with a tall collar, some tie space and long points to have enough fabric for the "roll" while still being able to tuck away the end points under the jacket.

Any ideas?

Zeppelin

Reaction score
*bump*

Still searching ... No1 got an idea?

Johnsson

Reaction score
*bump*

Still searching ... No1 got an idea?

I dunno, not my thing, but Google yielded some results. Probably most made to measure outfits do it, it appears that Proper Cloth does at least. Virtual Clothes Horse has Zegna in limited sizes.

proshare

Reaction score
i like it very much,thanks for your sharing
41.gif

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my Borrelli shirts have that kind of roll. (Though not as extreme as those in your OP)

Example:

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

I have Borrelli on my watchlist, but I think your example makes it clear that such a dramatic roll as in the initial pictures can only be realized with (hidden) buttons.

Proper Cloth is also on my radar, in fact I have a first shirt on order, just with a President cutaway collar. I have noticed the one with the hidden buttons, but that one looks kind of flat to me, not really curvy :)

Instead I am thinking of e.g. a (Soft) Roma Cutaway and have my tailor add the buttons in order to influence the roll. I the past I have had him add the buttons to one of my shirts to tame the long collar points with good results. Back then I wasn't hooked on the roll, I just wanted to avoid that Staying Alive-shirt collar over jacket collar look.

I'll probably continue my quest in the Proper Cloth thread once I've received my first trial shirt. Thanks for this idea.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads