• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Non-BD collar with nice roll - where to buy?

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Does anyone know a source for a shirt with such a collar with a nice roll? It doesn't seem to be a BD shirt, but the effect is similar I'd say:

I'd say it is a tall and long point collar with ample tie space. Probably unlined. I like it b/c it looks less stiff, should work fabulously with any non cbd outfit.

Any RTW or MTM source for this?

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Zeppelin

Reaction score
@Johnsson & @nmprisons ... thanks for your replies! So a BD with hidden buttons, makes perfect sense. That makes it a little more studied and less carefree, but a nice look nevertheless.

So question is, where to find such a shirt? Afaik you can attach those hidden buttons to basically any collar, but I need a shirt with a tall collar, some tie space and long points to have enough fabric for the "roll" while still being able to tuck away the end points under the jacket.

Any ideas?

Zeppelin

Reaction score
*bump*

Still searching ... No1 got an idea?

Johnsson

Reaction score
*bump*

Still searching ... No1 got an idea?
I dunno, not my thing, but Google yielded some results. Probably most made to measure outfits do it, it appears that Proper Cloth does at least. Virtual Clothes Horse has Zegna in limited sizes.

proshare

Reaction score
i like it very much,thanks for your sharing

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of my Borrelli shirts have that kind of roll. (Though not as extreme as those in your OP)

Example:

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies!

I have Borrelli on my watchlist, but I think your example makes it clear that such a dramatic roll as in the initial pictures can only be realized with (hidden) buttons.

Proper Cloth is also on my radar, in fact I have a first shirt on order, just with a President cutaway collar. I have noticed the one with the hidden buttons, but that one looks kind of flat to me, not really curvy :)

Instead I am thinking of e.g. a (Soft) Roma Cutaway and have my tailor add the buttons in order to influence the roll. I the past I have had him add the buttons to one of my shirts to tame the long collar points with good results. Back then I wasn't hooked on the roll, I just wanted to avoid that Staying Alive-shirt collar over jacket collar look.

I'll probably continue my quest in the Proper Cloth thread once I've received my first trial shirt. Thanks for this idea.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 62 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 119 33.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 105 29.4%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 39 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 16 4.5%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.0%