• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-AT&T iPhone

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
read this in the journal this morning.

I, for one, will be giving it serious consideration. GF's AT&T iPhone totally blows sometimes in NYC.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Seems to finally be true. http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2010/03...-att-networks/

Who will be making the move off Bberry to iPhone if this is true? I will probably look seriously into it.

I have both. Work provides me the Bberry and I have an iPhone that I use for personal stuff and it has my Family Talk plan for my kids phones etc.

Having an iPhone makes me dispise my Bberry. They are quite simply a different class of device. I only use my Bberry for work email and if I could trash the thing I would.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never really understood the benefit Apple is getting from AT&T. They must be getting some crazy kickbacks cause they certainly get a lot of flak about the network being congested (particularly in NYC and San Fancisco).

Apple gets a ton of money from the App Store. Much more than from unit sales I'd think and therefore the wider an audience they can reach, the more people they have buying apps (which they get 30% of).

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have seen the iPhone being tested on Verizon networks here in the Dakotas.
I am looking forward to swapping my Crackberry for an iPhone asap.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as I know AT&T gets the trash talk for the network issues not Apple.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
As far as I know AT&T gets the trash talk for the network issues not Apple.

Yeah, you're correct.

However, it does make you wonder (well me anyway) why Apple sticks with them when there are so many complaints against the network.

Once again, what kind of kickback is Apple getting from AT&T?

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I will probably keep the iPhone and switch off AT&T. Paying between $90-$100 a month for 450 minutes and 1500 text is getting old, fast. My contract is done in August thankfully..

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jumbie
Yeah, you're correct. However, it does make you wonder (well me anyway) why Apple sticks with them when there are so many complaints against the network. Once again, what kind of kickback is Apple getting from AT&T?
First of all read this: http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=189592&page=1&zoomIdx=2 Second of all, Apple gets compensated for the units through AT&T and also receives great contract terms for the ipad. Third of all, all news journalists and analysts put out rubbish rumors all the time. The iphone has at numerous times supposed to appear on verizon's network and still hasn't. Don't get your heart set on anything.

epb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
The iphone has at numerous times supposed to appear on verizon's network and still hasn't. Don't get your heart set on anything.

As the article in WSJ points out, they've pretty much reached market saturation with AT&T. The only way to grow from this point is add another large carrier. I can't imagine Apple planned to stick with AT&T forever, permanently limiting their market share.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
As the article in WSJ points out, they've pretty much reached market saturation with AT&T. The only way to grow from this point is add another large carrier. I can't imagine Apple planned to stick with AT&T forever, permanently limiting their market share.
If the pricing and terms provided through at&t helps grow the ipad and the revenue generated through the at&t relationship can't be replicated elsewhere, then things will stay the same.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll put a word in for my Droid. I love my Droid.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
...The iphone has at numerous times supposed to appear on verizon's network and still hasn't. Don't get your heart set on anything.

As I noted, I have personally seen the Verizon iPhone. Several Verizon executives in my area are currently using them on the CDMA network here.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can't wait. i went from a no-cell guy to a complete addict with my iphone. but at&t is absolutely the pits. when it happens, it will make me a very happy little fellow. my understanding was that all along the att-apple liason was very short term, just a couple of years during which att would pay apple very handsomely for the privilege of introducing it to the market ... seems hard to imagine now, but there was a time before the iphone was released when it was questionable how well it would do. i'm sure there are tech heads on this list who know the background a lot better than i do.

Jumbie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all read this: http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=189592&page=1&zoomIdx=2

Second of all, Apple gets compensated for the units through AT&T and also receives great contract terms for the ipad.

Not loading for me at the moment.

Thing is that I'm aware that Apple gets subsidized for the cost of the units but the actual cost to manufacture one is not all that much. I think some site did a breakdown and it's like $100 and some change. Initially there was some talk that Apple shared in the revenues from the monthly plan fees but I think that was quashed.

I'm basically saying that the amount of money I see thrown around as being generated by the App Store makes me think that Apple would get much more return by having more people buying from it. I'm not saying that they should switch to Verizon as I don't think that that would happen but that they should be available on all of the carriers.

What do I know though. Apple's obviously a tremendously profitable company.

Third of all, all news journalists and analysts put out rubbish rumors all the time. The iphone has at numerous times supposed to appear on verizon's network and still hasn't. Don't get your heart set on anything.
It's often a rumor but when the iPhone first came out the "common knowledge" was that the deal with AT&T for 5 years. Nothing was ever confirmed but that time's coming up soon enough and I certainly expect to see other carriers with the iPhone in the next year or so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads