• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nominate your favorite e. green shoe

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
I bought the RLPL Cardiff in black this summer, and have decided to order a pair of shoes in brown this autumn.  I hope to benefit from the fitter that I assume will be on hand when I order.

Once I know which size and which last fit me the best, I may subsequently place orders with e. Green and/or shop on ebay.

My problem is what model this pair should be. I'll wear them with my navy, grey, olive, and tan suits.

I have the E. Green catalogue, which that talks about the different lasts, soles, and leather colors.

I am leaning toward the Cardiff in "dark oak" in the 202 last (simply because I think the 202 may be wider than the 89 last my black pair was made on).  I saw the dark oak shoes in a display and to my eye, they looked much better with navy than the burnt pine did

Would anyone care to recommend a model or color?

Bic

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dover. Some have referred to it here as EG's "signature" shoe. Beyond the Dover, if you're looking for something fairly conservative, consider the Chelsea. Something a bit avante garde, consider the Stowe monkstrap. More casual, consider a loafer, such as the Harrow or the RLPL Longacre, in either case in last 184.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would anyone care to recommend a model or color?
My favorite is my pair of Dovers in Edwardian Antique on the 808 last.

I also have a thing for the Canterbury and for the Stowe, although the Stowe looks better than it feels.

In my experience, 202 isn't going to be any wider than 89. For me, 89 has been the roomiest EG last that I've tried (202, 606, 808, 89). Of course, if you're special ordering, you can get it in different widths.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CK... What happened to the online catalog at dressy.net for Edward Green?  Other than Jun's fetish site, that was one of the best sources for online photographs.  FYI, I found that the 89 Purple label last was wider than a comparable 202 last from Edward Green.  In my limited experience, the widest Green last is the 184, which is used exclusively for the loafers.

I don't have a favorite model though I really like their double monkstrap and jodpur boot in either the dark oak or edwardian finish.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm afraid, I'm not going to be very original and vote for the "Dover" as well. (As an alternative you might want to look at Dover's three-eyelet cousin "York".) There is something so intrinsically "right" about this shoe. Originally the apron-front (or Norwegian) style was a country shoe, but EG has added such refinement, without making the shoe p***-elegant, that this is probably the one style which will go with absolutely everything.

I found, that at least for my feet, 606 is the roomiest and 808 the narrowest last. (I don't know 89). There is also 888 (a new model), which aims to give you the look of the 808 but with added volume. I also believe there is a replacement for 202 waiting in the wings, but I don't know whether they will be on line this coming season.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the RLPL Cardiff in black this summer, and have decided to order a pair of shoes in brown this autumn. Â I hope to benefit from the fitter that I assume will be on hand when I order. Once I know which size and which last fit me the best, I may subsequently place orders with e. Green and/or shop on ebay. My problem is what model this pair should be. I'll wear them with my navy, grey, olive, and tan suits. I have the E. Green catalogue, which that talks about the different lasts, soles, and leather colors. I am leaning toward the Cardiff in "dark oak" in the 202 last (simply because I think the 202 may be wider than the 89 last my black pair was made on). Â I saw the dark oak shoes in a display and to my eye, they looked much better with navy than the burnt pine did Would anyone care to recommend a model or color? Bic
This one:
EGtopdrawer.jpg
EGtopdrawer2.jpg
EGtopdrawer3.jpg
EGtopdrawer4.jpg
koji

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks much for the comments. The Dover is clearly the favorite, though the pictures posted by Thracozaag are quite tempting.

Thanks also to jcusey for the comment on the 202 last vs. the 89. I get a blister on the top of the biggest knuckle closest on my big toe where the leather creases pinch me and small callouses on the outside of my little toe, so I assumed that I needed a wider shoe.

The Green catalogue refers to widths from A to F (I don't think an FX or a G was mentioned), and I assume that the Ralph Laurens were a UK F....If I can get a shoe wider than the Ralph Laurens, I'd go a half size smaller.

I am waiting for the announcement from the store that is sponsoring the event, so I don't know what models/combinations will be on offer. I will let you all know what I decide to go with when I place the order.

Bic

MCA

Reaction score
ACK... What happened to the online catalog at dressy.net for Edward Green? Â Other than Jun's fetish site, that was one of the best sources for online photographs. Â
Go to http://auctions.yahoo.co.jp/ and do a search for edward green.... absolutely the best source for EG pics. And new auctions keep coming up constantly. I have even seen some rare EG sample models.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks also to jcusey for the comment on the 202 last vs. the 89. I get a blister on the top of the biggest knuckle closest on my big toe where the leather creases pinch me and small callouses on the outside of my little toe, so I assumed that I needed a wider shoe.

Sounds like you might need a longer shoe - the wide part of your foot may be too far forward, into the toebox.

The Cardiff's on Bluefly are a UK D width I think.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your comment, Mr. Harris. My theory was that I needed a wider/taller shoe to give the ball of my foot space between it and the leather of the shoe. The blister really occurs on top of the tendon that runs from my foot down the top of my big toe.

Most professionals that have measured me say I'm an 8E, but I have such a high, thick foot, I usually take an 8EEE or a 9. The Ralph Laurens are a 9D. I didn't try them on, but would have guessed that a 9.5 D would be too toe trippingly long.

I hope to get some more advice when I see the folks from E Green.

Bic

marc37

Reaction score
Why are people talking so highly of the Dover? ls it the style or the comfort [of the Dover] or both?

l am going to get the Malvern oxford in burnt pine [when l get a chance to fly to Sydney].

l like the look of the Yardley monk, the Harrow, Wigmore, Aintree and a Malvern spec.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why are people talking so highly of the Dover? ls it the style or the comfort [of the Dover] or both? l am going to get the Malvern oxford in burnt pine [when l get a chance to fly to Sydney]. l like the look of the Yardley monk, the Harrow, Wigmore, Aintree and a Malvern spec.
Have you seen any Edward Green's in person? How about the Dover? If you have, you would understand why it is so fondly talked about: the workmanship, the detailing, the proportions, and in the right colours the antiquing.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with marc's questioning the Dover as the best choice.

I realize that everyone raves about it, but I have never really been fond of split toe shoes. This has much less to do with workman ship and such. I just like a smoother toe.

I will take another look at the Stowe in person, particularly because so many people I respect here have given it nearly unanimous praise, but am leaning toward jcusey's suggestion on the Henley.

Bic

Biggs

Reaction score
Thanks also to jcusey for the comment on the 202 last vs. the 89. Â I get a blister on the top of the biggest knuckle closest on my big toe where the leather creases pinch me and small callouses on the outside of my little toe, so I assumed that I needed a wider shoe.
Sounds like you might need a longer shoe - the wide part of your foot may be too far forward, into the toebox. The Cardiff's on Bluefly are a UK D width I think.
  A Harris, aren't they supposed to be listed in UK E/US D widths (e.g. 9.5/10 D 89), as mentioned before (from the archives)?  Check this link for more information.   How come there's no love for the Westminster?
confused.gif
  Finally, a good site to peruse detailed photos of Edward Greens is here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics