1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 9: A MTM nylon MA-1 bomber from Falcon Garments

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a nylon MA-1 from Falcon garments. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nominate your favorite e. green shoe

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, Sep 6, 2004.

1. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I've got a real thing for two-eyelet derby's, or "V-front's" as John Lobb calls them. That is a beautiful shoe. I'd also like to see it on one of the chisel-toe lasts with a Dover style split-toe. Those Shannon boots are nice too.

What Santoni's did you buy??

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior Member

Absolutely gorgeous. I was thinking Acorn or Edwardian antique for summer wear.

202 and 505 work best for me. The 606, though it fits well, seems to stick out a lot more than I like. Interesting that the 202 works well for all 3 of us.

3. A Harris

Old Vic seems to have a habit of buying shoes on ebay from Nick, polishing them up nicely and reselling them on his site. I have to laud his entrepreneurial spirit [​IMG]

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

5. A Harris

Ah, I should have remembered. Purty shoes. (I must be hanging around Chuck too much [​IMG])

6. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

202 is the last, not the shoe style. Usually manufacturers give their shoes names and their lasts numbers (only Alden does it the other way round). Only you will know, whether or not a pair of Edward Green shoes is worth the money to you. Like all other things where connoisseurship comes into play this is a personal choice. You can buy a car (of sorts) for $ 500, a hi-fi for $ 200, so is it really worth spending more. If you are interested in cars or hi-fis you probably will answer in the affirmative.

7. pitonboy

pitonboy Well-Known Member

Shoes being worth the price of EGs is a difficult question to give an absolute answer to. To most people, the idea of paying that much for shoes is ludricrous, and I would have agreed a year ago. However, my (now several pairs of) EG shoes are not only aesthetically pleasing (that antiqued finish, the wonderful lines, the impeccable workmanship) but they are simply the most comfortably "real" shoes that I own. You may not need a collection of EGs, but every man deserves to have at least one pair.

8. jcusey

jcusey Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

You should get what you like and what you would wear. Purchasing Edward Green shoes is profligate only if you don't wear them or don't take care of them.

Two other thoughts: EG shoes are like Lay's potato chips: betcha can't buy just one pair. And even though the Chelsea is just a cap-toe bal, it would be difficult to find the exact same shoe from another manufacturer (the swan's neck stitching detail and the quality of EG's antiquing are very rare).

9. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Indeed; the elegance of that swan's neck stitching is breathtaking, I distinctly recall how taken I was with it the first time I saw them in person. Love at first sight.

koji

10. bengal-stripe

Can't recall you ever mentioning, owning a pair of Chelseas.
    I only can assume that love hasn't been consummated yet.

Chaste love of the romantic kind is the most fulfilling one.
    Aaah.

11. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Distinguished Member

Precisely. And of course to quote Spock, "having is not as soul-satisfying as wanting; it is not logical, but it is often true."

koji

12. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior Member

Or, as I put it - the nearest we can approach a thing is longing for it.  And the next nearest is remembering.

13. TCN

TCN Distinguished Member

What's the EG corresponding name for the light chestnut colored monk-straps (very small single buckle) that they made for Purple Label? Do they still make these?

14. dorian

dorian Senior Member

Troon, I believe.

JCusey, or Bengal-Stripe... correct?

15. bengal-stripe

I believe, you are thinking of either Falmouth (plain toe) or Walpole (same shoe with toe cap). I remember, a couple of years ago, seeing the Falmouth, but with added toe medallion, in the RLPL collection. Sorry, couldn't find a picture. Dressy Net, which had the entire EG catalogue on line seem to have gone. (Too many people looking at the pictures and not enough buying, I presume)