• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nominate the best posts on the forum and (maybe) win a prize - ongoing Front Page contest

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Every one of Manton's threads lately (latest one being "If You Do Not Own the Following Things ..." has been spurring fantastic discussion. Senior members talking directly to juniors; real insight being given; snark without viciousness; and a general sense of respect and maturity.

This, along with the sartorial vacation reports by Gazman, is SF MC at its very best.

The only way this could be improved is if Etutee wrote one of his amazing guides.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Every one of Manton's threads lately (latest one being "If You Do Not Own the Following Things ..." has been spurring fantastic discussion. Senior members talking directly to juniors; real insight being given; snark without viciousness; and a general sense of respect and maturity.
This, along with the sartorial vacation reports by Gazman, is SF MC at its very best.
The only way this could be improved is if Etutee wrote one of his amazing guides.

it has been a truly joyful learning experience.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably my best post- no Snark.

Subject: Henry Cabot Lodge

post #33 of 41 5/16/09

I had meeting with Lodge's son, Henry Sears Lodge, at the
St Regis Hotel, possibly the King Cole Bar, in 1969 or 70.
Like his father, he was (is) an imposing physical presence,
about forty, 6" 4" + built like a football lineman, and handsome
in a blond WASP patrician way. Even then I was relatively
knowledgeable about clothes and immediately recognized
that he was wearing bespoke: a blue double breasted,
side vented suit in a winter weight even though it was
summer, complemented with a spread collar shirt and
a club tie. Probably a club he actually belonged to.
I felt like a peasant in my Brooks or Paul Stuart "tropical"
Ivy uniform, even though I had by then moved beyond
button-downs collars and was wearing Church's shoes.
We discussed a project in South America in which he
was involved and I might be interested. As far as I
know, it never went anywhere.

The Thin Man

Reaction score
Dieworkwear makes a nice visual argument in this response in Manton's white shirt thread:http://www.styleforum.net/t/309772/how-to-wear-a-white-shirt/30#post_5637731

Manton, I'm not sure I agree. I think a white shirt is often the best choice when it comes to blue jackets and grey trousers, even if worn in the day. Rather than "schoolboy," I think "Old Money." In any case, I think this thread needs more photos.
These seem to work fine, IMO. Even optimally so

Whereas these seem like they could be better with a blue or patterned shirt

Finally, here are two interesting photos of Alden, who looks to be wearing two different shirts, even though it's the same outfit, purely because of the lighting. In this case, I think you're right that blue works much better.

I'll leave it to someone more motivated than me to Photoshop the first set of photos with blue shirts, should we care to make better comparisons.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Surely some good content in MC lately... Fok, can we get an updated tally?

I'm on vacation right now, but will name 5 new winners when I get back in a few days. Stay tuned. There are some pretty cool posts from both MC and SW&D.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fok, enjoy your vacation. :)

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I nominate this post.

Those new to the forum or who are fostering a newly discovered interest in style should take more away from the newly-created "veteran" threads than just the pictures or dismissive banter. What you need to realize is that everyone (for the most part) chiming in on these threads has had a VERY serious interest in getting dressed for a very long time. They have invested a great deal of time, money and thought into what their style means to them. While there are a few narrow rules that they all agree on, if you read the threads at length you'll quickly realize they all have different ideas and opinions.
A prime example of this is Ed's penchant for black longwings with khakis. Much to the chagrin of Manton and Foo, Ed openly stated that he appreciated the aesthetic, citing Thom Browne as the inspiration. There was a small hiccup and some ball busting, but Ed basically said "if you don't like, **** you" and the thread continued. While they didn't like the look, Ed's clear understanding and appreciation of what he was doing is worthy of respect.
New members should learn a great deal from this. Not only will you never get dressed to 100% approval, but you should never seek approval in the first place. You should study, learn and then make informed decisions on what you like. However, that is only the first phase and not nearly as important as having confidence in what you wear and not letting group think determine your every move.
Far too often this forum is polluted with those who immediately recoil when critiqued or criticized. "Well, if the dudes at SF don't like it, it must be wrong" is the exact opposite of why this forum was started. It's also a mentality that will never lead to any flavor of true style. Unfortunately, this seems to be the dominant opinion and so now we see buzz word and brand obsessed fanboys who are afraid to contribute for fear of going against "taste-making" internet strangers.
Investigate. Learn. Understand. Select. If you've done your due diligence and appreciate the process then you'll never let "popular opinion" dictate your success.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads