• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nokia N73 or Apple Iphone?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new phone that's versatile. I need quadband, good camera, large memory capacity (preferably removable). So I've narrowed my options to the Nokia N73 and the Apple Iphone 4GB (which has been discontinued but still available).

I like the Nokia N73 for its 3 megapixel camera and expandable memory. I'll use it mostly as a phone but also for music when commuting and I need a very good camera cause it'd act as one for me too (I dont own or plan to buy a dedicated digital camera). If I were to buy one it'd set me back ~300 USD. I haven't seen one in person so I'm taking a chance ergonomic wise.

I tried the Iphone at the Apple Store and think it's great. I like the 4GB for its price (299) and I know they'll sell through their inventory pretty soon. I also like the plans through AT&T which would be cheaper than if I got the N73 ($60 - 450 mins and unlimited data. Typing with the touch screen will take some practice but I didint have main problems with it when I was using it. THe camera is a downside at only 2 megapixels and no flash, and I never got to try out its video. MAjor strong point is I can finance it over 90 days which would be much easier on my wallet than dropping $300 in one sitting.

What say you all? I added a poll for fun.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very simple. If you want a flexible *real* smartphone, the N73. If you want a (expensive) mostly closed system that is basically phone, browser and iPod in one, get the iPhone. That is it.
Plus the iPhone cannot take video.

P.s. Personally I would not buy the N73, I don't like clamshells (especially RAZR-like). There are other E and N series Nokia that I would prefer.

P.p.s. the N73 at $300 is unlocked unbranded, no commitment. Use anywhere in the world with a local Sim card, and 3G in Europe.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more thing, if you don't have a dedicated camera, the Nokia N95 has a 5MP Zeiss lens equipped near-DVD quality video camera on board. A few more points. All iPhone proponents will tell you"it is the experience!" In my eyes this is a pure cop out to explain away the fact that the iPhone lacks even rudimentary features that the lowly $30.00 for prepaid phones had, like MMS for instance. However, if you like the experience and value it above the missing parts (which to me are non-negotiable necessities) get the iPhone. Also, Symbian/UIQ have the majority stake worldwide in real smartphone ,market share - the USA is an oddity in that Windows Mobile has any sort of market share. This means piles of support, software and accessories.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The following iPhone comparison review doesn't talk about the N73, but it does test the N95 as well as the HTC Touch, and you may want to consider some of the points it brings up. While the N95 is feature-laden, they found it almost absurdly difficult to use:

http://computerworld.com/action/arti...intsrc=hm_list

--Andre

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
The following iPhone comparison review doesn't talk about the N73, but it does test the N95 as well as the HTC Touch, and you may want to consider some of the points it brings up. While the N95 is feature-laden, they found it almost absurdly difficult to use: http://computerworld.com/action/arti...intsrc=hm_list --Andre
What it comes down to is this: it is easy to make something easier to use by limiting what the user can accomplish. That has always been the Apple way; people touting the ease to use for their products have always conveniently explained away that as a "oh, those are not necessary" explanation. Look at any HCI text and you'll see that the ability to cater to both advanced user and novices is where a well designed interface will shine. Apple usually takes the easy way - dumbing things down. Plus it really annoys me that everyone keeps saying that if you spend a week or two with the interface you will be able to type without too many errors. I mean, wtf is that? P.s. the whole wifi took 4.5 hours is completely full of crap. My E61i has the same wifi sniffer as the N95 and I can from the standby screen browse on to any open network almost instantly - or set it up to automatically grab any network when nearby. Makes it very easy to use things like VOIP (for instance with Truphone, which I use all the time).

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think it would be obvious which way I'd vote on this matter.

I played with an iPhone for about an hour the other day, and have come to the conclusion that it is basically an iPod that makes mediocre phone calls and has good web formatting, but poor to extremely poor connectivity. I can actually type relatively well with the onscreen keyboard, but it requires a lot more effort than with a physical keyboard.

Oh, and it has, quite possibly, this year's worst camera put in a phone.

Basically, its a fashion accessory, as I thought when I first saw it. It's the "spinning rims" of the telephony world.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Skalagre - the N73 isn't a clam shell phone it's actually a candybar format. http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n73-1550.php

I'm not considering the N95 because of its price. I think the cheapest I've found is just over $600.

Another good phone but unavailable for now is the Sony Ericcson K850. Which is 5 megapixels, quadband

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jodum5
Thanks for the responses. Skalagre - the N73 isn't a clam shell phone it's actually a candybar format. http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n73-1550.php I'm not considering the N95 because of its price. I think the cheapest I've found is just over $600. Another good phone but unavailable for now is the Sony Ericcson K850. Which is 5 megapixels, quadband
Oops, I was thinking of the N76
biggrin.gif
- but otherwise same software, both Symbian S60 v3. Have in mind that Nokia has recently released a number of new phones, which will also mean that many current models will be disounted further at places like Buy.com and Newegg (as well as all the gray market shops).

fortune

Reaction score
3 words. i love my iphone.

break it out of jail and there's more than a few nice native programs you can load onto it and have fun with.

(mines unlocked and on T-Mo. putting any native programs on requires breaking it out of jail, just so you know.)

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
Apple usually takes the easy way - dumbing things down.

I think it's easier to toss features in than to leave them out. At least with leaving them out, you actually have to think about what you want to leave out while still letting your device do its job.

--Andre

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Apple spin at work.

I think Karl Rove works in Cupertino now.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
I think it's easier to toss features in than to leave them out. At least with leaving them out, you actually have to think about what you want to leave out while still letting your device do its job.

--Andre

???

So it takes more work to leave out functionality? Sorry, that makes no sense. Anyway, here is what it comes down to. The iPhone is after the same demographic as the RAZR was. Not the HTCs, Symbian, UIQ etc phones. It was Jobs that made it sound that way not the device itself. For someone that wants the bare minimum (and less) it may be ok. Any power users will find its limitations laughable.
Now, as for letting the device to its job, that is crucial. An S60 phone will allow you to leave the office with nothing else and still be able to access your VPN, write the report in a MSWord compatible format, take any photographs at the client's location, put it together in to a Powerpoint presentation and use Mail for Exchange (or Blackberry Connect) to send it to the office. You could even play a few SNES (or SCUMM) games using the TV Out on your hotel room's TV. And call home using a native SIP/VOIP client.
None of all that is actually that difficult for anyone who has used a computer before, btw. Different demographic than the RAZR/KRZR/iPhonzr/et.c.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fortune
3 words. i love my iphone.

break it out of jail and there's more than a few nice native programs you can load onto it and have fun with.

(mines unlocked and on T-Mo. putting any native programs on requires breaking it out of jail, just so you know.)

What data plan do you use on T-mobile with your iphone? Is it just 20$ blackberry plan that gives you unlimited data, or do you have to choose some other plan that is more than 20$ extra per month?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads