• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nogushi or MVDR?

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no experience as for interior design. I'm currently pondering these two ubiquitous cofee tables:

And I am trying to figure what sort of furniture would compliment them best? I'm specifically looking for two seats, and please don't suggest barcelona chairs
wink.gif
or maybe a LC2/3? What do you think?

!luc

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are both classics. If you are going to have an interior that is somewhat ecclectic, you can use either one. I personally feel that the Noguchi is more recognized as period oriented, just because of the shape.I think it will also be the more distinctive of the two. The MvdR with straightforward lines will have a tendency to blend in, unless you surround it with furniture that is completely unlike it. So the short answer to your question is, do you want the table to blend or contrast? In which case the surround furniture and space is going to dictate that.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Here is the only thing I'd like to keep from my current setup: I have a tendency to prefer the nogushi too, because it's more children friendly than the barcelona table. !luc

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I much prefer the Noguchi to the Mies.

The shape of the Noguchi table could actually be combined successfully with some subdued art nouveau/Jugendstil chairs - the flowing lines might complement each other, and you would avoid the catalogue look of an over-matched style, like you would get with the "full Barcelona" that every other stockbroker wants (no offense to them).

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Luc-Emmanuel
I'm specifically looking for two seats, and please don't suggest barcelona chairs
wink.gif
or maybe a LC2/3? What do you think? !luc

I suppose I shouldn't be so obvious as to suggest Eames either?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I would go with the Noguchi. It's just nicer looking, IMO.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think that you need to decide what your own personal style is. I personally like the Noguchi more than the Mies, but they are both classics. I kind of think that if you go for an Eames or LC etc chair that you are pigeonholing yourself into a mid-century period look. There is nothing nevessarily wrong with that, but you need to decide if you like it.

If I were to go with a mid century match I would probably get a couple of Arne Jacobsen chairs. Either Egg or Swan would go well with the Noguchi table.

If you go with Mies, you may want to look at Paul Kjarholm chairs. They are angular like the Mies table, but not so ubiquitous.

If it were me, I would go to a couple of the good modern stores in Paris and look for something more interesting than two iconic chairs to accompany an iconic coffee table. From Cappellini on Rue des Rosiers you might be interested in the Oblong from Jasper Morrison, the Igloo from Ola Rune or the Rive Droite from Patrick Norguet. From Domeau-Peres I like the Video Lounge by Christophe Pillet. From Cassina the Tentazione from Mario Bellini would look smashing with the Noguchi table. I believe Cassina is on or near the Rue de Bac.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Mies would go better with Deco pieces because of its angularity. Otherwise, the Noguchi tends to be more singular.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I think that you need to decide what your own personal style is. I personally like the Noguchi more than the Mies, but they are both classics. I kind of think that if you go for an Eames or LC etc chair that you are pigeonholing yourself into a mid-century period look. There is nothing nevessarily wrong with that, but you need to decide if you like it.
That's why I'm asking here if I could pair them with something different to fail from locking myself into a specific period.
I'm not sure I have enough space to crank in two egg chairs without looking too busy.

If you go with Mies, you may want to look at Paul Kjarholm chairs. They are angular like the Mies table, but not so ubiquitous.
Yes, I have been pondering the PK61 & PK22 setup, but it's not available so easily.

If it were me, I would go to a couple of the good modern stores in Paris and look for something more interesting than two iconic chairs to accompany an iconic coffee table. From Cappellini on Rue des Rosiers you might be interested in the Oblong from Jasper Morrison, the Igloo from Ola Rune or the Rive Droite from Patrick Norguet. From Domeau-Peres I like the Video Lounge by Christophe Pillet. From Cassina the Tentazione from Mario Bellini would look smashing with the Noguchi table. I believe Cassina is on or near the Rue de Bac.
Indeed. But I am not ready quite yet to shell out 8000 euros for a couple of armchairs and a cofee table
smile.gif
Cassina holds the licensing for a lot of midcentury design pieces and drives the prices obscenely high.
I like the dining table from Mario Bellini.

Thanks!
!luc

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The Mies would go better with Deco pieces because of its angularity. Otherwise, the Noguchi tends to be more singular.
As some educated answer above
teacha.gif
, it's either I want to build the space around the cofee table, or not. Actually it would have helped if the noguchi were a litttle bit smaller.

!luc

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The issue with the Noguchi table is that it really requires something organic in shape near it. I have a hard time imagining square pieces working well. I think that something old could look perfect along side. The Mies is the opposite in that it requires something rather geometric. Circles and squares both work, but organic shapes do not unless they are black and white.

I think that the PK22 is one of the most exquisite chairs ever produced. They are readily available here but frighteningly expensive. I especially like it in the wicker. If I were you I would go for those and skimp on price with the coffee table. Just my .02.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue with the Noguchi table is that it really requires something organic in shape near it. I have a hard time imagining square pieces working well. I think that something old could look perfect along side.
Try this Henry van der Velde chair:
Kessler.jpg
Or the Hoffmann "Kubus" series:
Hoffmann_Sofa.jpg
This place sells knockoffs (unlicensed, I think): http://www.classic-design24.com/

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or Aalto - his aesthetic (and "design ethic") would suit the Noguchi table well, I think.
Aalto_Sessel_434.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads