No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Schweino, Oct 5, 2011.

1. landshark

landshark Senior member

RL's target customer isn't buying their product discounted from eBay, they are paying full retail, new & in store. That's why they don't care.

2. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

There's a clue, 163.com is a Mainland China(PRC) anonymous free email provider and internet portal, same as Hotmail, MSN, Gmail or Yahoo.

TBH I don't think FleaBay really care, they get their vendor's commission whether the lots are knock-off or real. TBH I would never buy any designer luxury stuff on there.

RL counterfeiting is a way of life in Mainland China and much of SE Asia, same for most famous designer luxury brands. They can't really do much about it either.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  3. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Dupe post deleted. SF giving errors.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did they have any shell cordovan Darltons? :confused:

5. althanis

althanis Senior member

I don't get it - you thought they were fake, bought them anyway, found them to probably be fake. Now what? Were you trying to get a job with RL to hunt down counterfeits?

6. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

I've gotten email from US Ralph Lauren salespeople using hotmail and yahoo addresses.
    It does seem unlikely however that a manager at Ralph Lauren selling on ebay would identify herself as such.
    Maybe it's just stolen merchandise and not fake.

7. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Possibly, but I'd say it's pretty much a forgone conclusion any RL and similar coming from China on Ebay is going to be knock-off.

The address the OP gave is RL's real address in Taiwan(ROC), but 163.com is usually used by Mainland Chinese(PRC), same with yahoo.cn. BTW the Taiwanese friends I've got absolutely hate anything to do with the Mainland and Beijing. That's what I first thought when I saw the 163.com email address.

Where I am, the stores are absolutely full of RL knock-offs, I'd bet that Mr. Lifshitz has never even heard of Xilinhot.

8. Yachting Man

Yachting Man Senior member

This.

9. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I dig your posts, man. :inlove:

10. oshinex

oshinex Senior member

All this work for a RL shirt? Geesh. Pic of the shirt at least?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  11. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

Ebay, China, cheap...odds are not in favour.

12. thebac

thebac Senior member

That was my initial reaction as well. Different suppliers, different markets, it's not uncommon to see products made to different price points and standards.
    On the other hand, this is a bit of a concern. A Taiwanese product, I wouldn't worry about too much, Taiwan is not that different from Japan or Korea. However, a Mainland Chinese company pretending to be from Taiwan--that, I'd be much more suspicious of.

13. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

I'm not complaining about the shirt, the shirt's quality and fit is fine and I like it.

Shirt looked fine for a good price so bought it. Accepted the fact it might be fake, but was amazed to find out the seller identified herself as an RL employee and thought that was worth looking in to. I started this topic to share my concern about the reaction of RL being not interested at all in corporate identity fraud.

That, and the fact that she ended one of her e-mails with "Thank you & kiss.." convinced me she is a fraud.

14. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I think the fact that she's using a 163.com email indicates very much a possibility that she's a fraud who actually lives in China, but not Taiwan.

As a Taiwanese, I am pretty sure that 163.com emails are not even that popular in Taiwan. if that's a hotmail or gmail or yahoo.com.tw address it might be more likely.

But back to your topic. If you ever go to China, you'll be amazed by just how many fake stuff they have, it's beyond imagination.

15. DerekS

DerekS Guyliner

pretty sure a knock off RL shirt will be pretty much equal quality of a genuine RL shirt. :foo: