• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts....

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing Ebay for some RL Polo oxford shirts when I noticed seller soft_rocks who was offering them for a competitive price. Being located in Taiwan I was weary about the authenticity of the offered goods, but I decided to order one shirt to sample. Upon receipt I noticed they were knock offs (very goods ones though) because of some stitching patterns that were different from my other RL shirts which I bought in a real life RL store.

The seller ofcourse denied it being a fake, which was to be expected. The odd thing is that this seller represents herself as being the sales manager of an official RL store in Taiwan...

The e-mails are being signed with:

Wendy Wu
Sales Manager, Ralph Lauren Taipei Breeze Center
1F, No. 39, Sec 1
Fuxing South Road
Taipei 105 Taiwan Republic of China
Tel: 886-02-82515834
Fax: 886-02-82547788

And the e-mail address ends with 163.com.

As I find it hard to believe for a RL store to sell goods for a very compettetive price on Ebay using a 3rd party e-mail provider I contacted RL by e-mail to ask them if this seller is a RL Taipei employee or a fraud. I also asked them if the shirt I bought is authentic, describing the stitching details.

This is the response I got:

Thank you for contacting RalphLauren.com customer assistance.
We apologize; however, due to the extensive variety of Ralph Lauren merchandise on the market, we are unable to verify the authenticity of specific merchandise. To ensure that you are purchasing authentic Ralph Lauren merchandise, we suggest shopping with an authorized retailer. Authorized retailers include Ralph Lauren stores, as well as select department and specialty stores.
Shopping in our Ralph Lauren Stores or on RalphLauren.com will ensure that you are always purchasing authentic Ralph Lauren merchandise. For your convenience, we have provided a link to our store locator below.
http://stores.ralphlauren.com/default.asp?ab=footer_stores

Funny thing is that the Ebay seller is clever and the address she provides in her signature matches the address provided by the RL store locator.... The phone number is different though.

I replied to RL custmer service that they didn't answer my question about the authenticity of the seller and if she really is a Taipei store employee selling goods through Ebay.

I got the following response:

Thank you for contacting RalphLauren.com customer assistance.
We sincerely apologize; however, RalphLauren.com does not have the resources to verify if this seller is an authentic Polo Ralph Lauren store. To ensure that you are purchasing authentic Ralph Lauren merchandise, we suggest shopping with an authorized retailer. Authorized retailers include Ralph Lauren stores, as well as select department and specialty stores.

The way I see it they just don't give a damn if someone claims to be a RL store sales manager selling counterfeit RL merchandise on Ebay or wherever on the internet. No wonder there are so many sellers like this around, they have nothing to fear.

Last edited:

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call the actual store's (in china) phone number from the website and ask to speak to that employee.
When they say "no such employee", tell them what happened. It is identity theft.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bet they would handle it from there.

Last edited:

Schweino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, I'm not going to put any more effort in this matter. I'm just amazed that a company who suffers from world wide counterfeiting issues isn't taking any measures at all when a clear case is being presented to them. I'm also amazed they claim to aim for "legendary service" as they say in all their e-mail responses but can't seem to be bothered to answer two simple customer concerns.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We could all just flash mob the address with letters of complaint.

lostron

Reaction score
there is not much you can do in this situation. Your are underestimating how hard it is more a company to go other fakes and the expenses required. Best option might be to return or buy elsewhere. Usually if deals sound too good to be true they probable are especially on the bay..

Last edited:

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming you got the shirt for cheap, seeing as how Polo RL oxfords are available very cheaply in almost every department store in the United States. I hope this isn't as big an issue for you as it appears to be.

Is the shirt nice?

Charley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the issue to "flash mob" about?
Ralph Lauren has not confirmed in any way that the merchandise is not authentic.
The original post did not describe shoddy merchandise, simply a different stitching pattern. Ralph Lauren confirms that stitching can be different from different suppliers. So is there a real quality issue?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Polo Ralph Lauren, apart from a few select items (dress pants and suits), are really a very cheap brand. It could well be authentic. It is not uncommon for PRL shirts to be knocked down under $20 at outlets, and it is a good bet that they could be a great deal cheaper in some Asian markets. After all, the markup for United States and European markets must be astronomical.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not actually sure why the OP is so concerned. RL has done its cost-benefit analysis and decided that tracking down minor fakery is not worth it for them. Why is it anything to do with 'customer service' that they should behave differently? Caveat Emptor...

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not actually sure why the OP is so concerned. RL has done its cost-benefit analysis and decided that tracking down minor fakery is not worth it for them. Why is it anything to do with 'customer service' that they should behave differently? Caveat Emptor...
Especially when they're not at all convinced it is fakery? Sounds like a complete non issue to me. You got a decent shirt at a good price, regardless of the maker.

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I'm sure RL cares about this problem, but not on your small scale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads