1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

No wonder there are so many Ralph Lauren Polo fake shirts....

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Schweino, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

I was browsing Ebay for some RL Polo oxford shirts when I noticed seller soft_rocks who was offering them for a competitive price. Being located in Taiwan I was weary about the authenticity of the offered goods, but I decided to order one shirt to sample. Upon receipt I noticed they were knock offs (very goods ones though) because of some stitching patterns that were different from my other RL shirts which I bought in a real life RL store.

The seller ofcourse denied it being a fake, which was to be expected. The odd thing is that this seller represents herself as being the sales manager of an official RL store in Taiwan...

The e-mails are being signed with:

Wendy Wu
    Sales Manager, Ralph Lauren Taipei Breeze Center
    1F, No. 39, Sec 1
    Fuxing South Road
    Taipei 105 Taiwan Republic of China
    Tel: 886-02-82515834
    Fax: 886-02-82547788

And the e-mail address ends with 163.com.

As I find it hard to believe for a RL store to sell goods for a very compettetive price on Ebay using a 3rd party e-mail provider I contacted RL by e-mail to ask them if this seller is a RL Taipei employee or a fraud. I also asked them if the shirt I bought is authentic, describing the stitching details.

This is the response I got:

Funny thing is that the Ebay seller is clever and the address she provides in her signature matches the address provided by the RL store locator.... The phone number is different though.

I replied to RL custmer service that they didn't answer my question about the authenticity of the seller and if she really is a Taipei store employee selling goods through Ebay.

I got the following response:

The way I see it they just don't give a damn if someone claims to be a RL store sales manager selling counterfeit RL merchandise on Ebay or wherever on the internet. No wonder there are so many sellers like this around, they have nothing to fear.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

Sounds like a Fuxing nightmare.

1 person likes this.
  3. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

Call the actual store's (in china) phone number from the website and ask to speak to that employee.
    When they say "no such employee", tell them what happened. It is identity theft.

4. contactme_11

contactme_11 Senior member

I bet they would handle it from there.

5. Schweino

Schweino Senior member

Nah, I'm not going to put any more effort in this matter. I'm just amazed that a company who suffers from world wide counterfeiting issues isn't taking any measures at all when a clear case is being presented to them. I'm also amazed they claim to aim for "legendary service" as they say in all their e-mail responses but can't seem to be bothered to answer two simple customer concerns.

6. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

what's the difference?

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

We could all just flash mob the address with letters of complaint.

8. lostron

lostron Senior member

there is not much you can do in this situation. Your are underestimating how hard it is more a company to go other fakes and the expenses required. Best option might be to return or buy elsewhere. Usually if deals sound too good to be true they probable are especially on the bay..

9. chogall

chogall Senior member

It might not be fake. It is fairly common for a big brand to make different products for different regions.

10. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I'm assuming you got the shirt for cheap, seeing as how Polo RL oxfords are available very cheaply in almost every department store in the United States. I hope this isn't as big an issue for you as it appears to be.

Is the shirt nice?

11. Charley

Charley Senior member

What is the issue to "flash mob" about?
    Ralph Lauren has not confirmed in any way that the merchandise is not authentic.
    The original post did not describe shoddy merchandise, simply a different stitching pattern. Ralph Lauren confirms that stitching can be different from different suppliers. So is there a real quality issue?

1 person likes this.
  12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Polo Ralph Lauren, apart from a few select items (dress pants and suits), are really a very cheap brand. It could well be authentic. It is not uncommon for PRL shirts to be knocked down under $20 at outlets, and it is a good bet that they could be a great deal cheaper in some Asian markets. After all, the markup for United States and European markets must be astronomical.

13. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I'm not actually sure why the OP is so concerned. RL has done its cost-benefit analysis and decided that tracking down minor fakery is not worth it for them. Why is it anything to do with 'customer service' that they should behave differently? Caveat Emptor...

14. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Especially when they're not at all convinced it is fakery? Sounds like a complete non issue to me. You got a decent shirt at a good price, regardless of the maker.

15. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Senior member

I'm sure RL cares about this problem, but not on your small scale.

16. landshark

landshark Senior member

RL's target customer isn't buying their product discounted from eBay, they are paying full retail, new & in store. That's why they don't care.

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

There's a clue, 163.com is a Mainland China(PRC) anonymous free email provider and internet portal, same as Hotmail, MSN, Gmail or Yahoo.

TBH I don't think FleaBay really care, they get their vendor's commission whether the lots are knock-off or real. TBH I would never buy any designer luxury stuff on there.

RL counterfeiting is a way of life in Mainland China and much of SE Asia, same for most famous designer luxury brands. They can't really do much about it either.

18. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Dupe post deleted. SF giving errors.

19. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Did they have any shell cordovan Darltons? :confused:

20. althanis

althanis Senior member

I don't get it - you thought they were fake, bought them anyway, found them to probably be fake. Now what? Were you trying to get a job with RL to hunt down counterfeits?