• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Sleep Night before....

tiratela

Reaction score
GOLF!..
blush.gif

For the past 8-10 years since I've been playing golf (10 Handicap) while in Japan, the States and now here in India, I can't seem to find a good-nights sleep the day before I'm going out.

Here's my routine: I set my clothes out, check the clubs and bag for all the tools, get my alarm ready (2 of them). Get ready for bed.

I toss and turn all night. There have been days that I can only get 2-3 hours of total sleep time even though I go to sleep at 10-11 PM for a 0500 wake up. I seem to start to visualize the day and how it's going to turn out. Hitting the drive, chipping and puttiing. I can't even relax in bed, checking the clock on the cell phone at all hours.

I've never missed a tee-time in the years I've been playing so that's not a worry to me.. But what gives? How can I relax and get a good nights sleep?

Right now I'm BEAT down at work. I got up at 0445 and teed off at 0600, finished at 1100 and and now at work till 1800.. I can't wait to go home and crash!. I shot a good game though.. Beat up on the Colonel here at the Job. (I need a new Tailor Made Driver for X-mas)..

Where do I start?. Relaxing pills, Massage from the wife (May tire me more), tylenol, Alcohol.
confused.gif

HELP!..

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's some sort of anxiety disorder. I can't ever sleep before exams. Usually 3-5 hours are what I can manage if I try really hard.

tiratela

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I think it's some sort of anxiety disorder. I can't ever sleep before exams. Usually 3-5 hours are what I can manage if I try really hard.

It's Only GOLF!.. right... It should be relaxing that I'm skipping work for GOLF..

HM.... I need to read a golf psych book...

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're a 10 handicap, Golf is probably that important to you that you'd rather not oversleep. I'm the same way with road races (5-K and up). You do so much preparation, and then you have your time to go, and it takes a while to get there, and traffic could be rough due to construction, and got to have that cup of joe before I leave, and on and on.

Add to that the stress of wanting to sleep but having no luck at it, no wonder you can't sleep. Self-perpetuating cycle. Just accept that you're not going to sleep (much) the night before your tee time and you'll be better for it.

Ironically, once you accept this, your stress should drop and sleep should come easier. Or, you could schedule more tee times to make golf more commonplace and less of an event.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It sounds like performance anxiety (which my doctor said is the case with me). (Insert joke here...) I used to get this before (and during) "big games" when I was younger and currently get it before playing gigs with my band.

When I was younger, I would be so anxious before a big game that by gametime I was spent. All of my energy was burned up being anxious and I would end up being exhuasted before ever stepping on the ice.

I use a CD to meditate before large anxiety producing games/gigs and it helps quite a bit. Maybe that would help the night before? Having a relaxing evening the night/day before seems to help also because anything stressfull before the event (for me) usually makes things worse.

I shouldn't say this but a shot or drink before a gig helps but that isn't something I want to rely on.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why don't you take pills?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
isn't it normal to not be able to sleep the night before an event? i always heard that it's more important to sleep well the night before the night before.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why don't you take pills?

Sleeping pills generally have no immediate effect on me. I also do not want something that'll knock me out for the 9am exam. It's also strange that I tend to stay awake even though I'm more than buzzed from a night's out. So, 1 or 2 shots of scotch won't do anything right away.

I think the key is to get down time after studying, which, even for 20-30 minutes, is a premium during exam time. Any good chill pill out there?

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I can't either. And I've noticed now that the more advanced my classes get, the worse it becomes. I had a hard time sleeping before an anatomy final a few months back. I'd lie in bed and think of a part of the body and immediately start going over innervation, vasculature, etc. When I finally did fall asleep, I had a dream where my professor asked a question in class about the branches of this particular nerve. I woke up and immediately answered it. I've just accepted that kind of insanity because it only happens a few times a year. I just go with it. I couldn't agree more with tck13. A shot or two before playing a gig always helps me but there's no way I could rely on it for other things in my life, test taking included.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Sex helps. Then a hot shower, and maybe a shot of whiskey.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
Sleeping pills generally have no immediate effect on me. I also do not want something that'll knock me out for the 9am exam. It's also strange that I tend to stay awake even though I'm more than buzzed from a night's out. So, 1 or 2 shots of scotch won't do anything right away.

I think the key is to get down time after studying, which, even for 20-30 minutes, is a premium during exam time. Any good chill pill out there?

Lunesta will knock you on your ass. But it's prescription only. Just make sure you have 8 hours to sleep at least.

As for over the counter stuff nyquel (sp?) works good if you can stand the taste. The liquid tastes too much like jager to me though.

ts4them

Reaction score
I like Ambien, just use it when you have to, and take on an empty stomach for full benefits.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Best sleep aid is hands down is melatonin, don't mess with anything else.

Take one of these when you are a little sleepy,
http://www.vitacost.com/TwinlabContr...leaseMelatonin

You want the controlled release, otherwise you'll just get a shot of it and might wake up in the middle of the night.

I might try this. Can anyone else comment on its effects?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics