• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Show Undershirts

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I am looking for a no show undershirt. I am 5'10" and 130 lbs (around a 33in chest), so I'm fairly short and very thin. I want a slim fitting shirt I can wear under anything from dress shirts to polo shirts. I am sick of ruining my expensive white shirts with yellow pit stains.

I have found two shirts so far

http://www.amazon.com/ist-Mens-Essentials-V-Neck-Undershirt/dp/B005DVRNL0
This shirt looks like it could be good and it is slim, but it is a little expensive for something ill be using as an undershirt.

http://www.collectedthreads.com/product.php?productid=1
This would be perfect because it is a reasonable price. But the one problem I have, is I've read that even the small is very baggy, and I dont want a baggy undershirt.

So are there any people who could give me some advice?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am looking for a no show undershirt. I am 5'10" and 130 lbs (around a 33in chest), so I'm fairly short and very thin. I want a slim fitting shirt I can wear under anything from dress shirts to polo shirts. I am sick of ruining my expensive white shirts with yellow pit stains. I have found two shirts so far http://www.amazon.com/ist-Mens-Essentials-V-Neck-Undershirt/dp/B005DVRNL0
ir
This shirt looks like it could be good and it is slim, but it is a little expensive for something ill be using as an undershirt. http://www.collectedthreads.com/product.php?productid=1 This would be perfect because it is a reasonable price. But the one problem I have, is I've read that even the small is very baggy, and I dont want a baggy undershirt. So are there any people who could give me some advice?
There is no such thing: the thickness of what you wear on top will determine whether it can be seen. Instead of trying to hide the problem, why not try curing iring - shave your pits and use an antiperspirant after you shower daily.

pnewelljr

Reaction score
I am not sure shaving my pits is really an option, at least during the summer. And isnt antipersperant part of what causes yellow pit stains?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am not sure shaving my pits is really an option, at least during the summer. And isnt antipersperant part of what causes yellow pit stains?

Why ever not and wha has the summer to do with it and no.

jt10000

Reaction score
Get Uniqlo Airism V-neck undershirts in a color vaguely as dark as your skin. Gray works for me - a medium-dark black person, and I think it would work for most for many complexions. Very thin, pretty tight (I wear a 38 suit, and wear medium in this shirt, and it clings to my skin).

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/CPaGoods/itemcode=071299

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
American Apparel t-shirts are cut slim and they have gray or a neutral, flesh color that are both invisible under a white dress shirt.

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

American Apparel t-shirts are cut slim and they have gray or a neutral, flesh color that are both invisible under a white dress shirt.

+1. Nice shirts but expensive. Also, they will shrink in length and aren't particularly long.

Tug

Reaction score
hey pnewelljr,

since you live in tokyo, i would definitely recommend the uniqlo undershirts. from my experience, they make high quality products that are reasonably priced. i have tried their heattech, premium, and dry color undershirts, and they are amongst my favorites.

from my research, the airism undershirts are a synthetic blend (i think with polyester), and not too sure about the "dry deodorant" ones, but my guess would be those too are made with some moisture wicking fiber like poly or nylon - they probably also contain some anti-odor properties too since "deodorant" is in the name. although i haven't tried either of those, i would expect them to be very good fitting and feeling undershirts. that said, it's not clear if the v-neck will be deep enough.

from my own personal experience, i've found that v-necks have to have at least a 7"+ front drop for them not to be seen with open collars, and there are only a handful of those currently available.

the term "no show" can mean a couple things: 1) no undershirt collar showing with unbuttoned outer shirts, 2) undershirt not being able to be seen through light colored outer shirt.
to solve #1, you need a deeper v. to solve #2, you need a non-white (grey, body-colored) undershirt.

i'm not familiar with what's available in tokyo outside of uniqlo, but many of the online undershirt companies do ship internationally. since you're very slim, it makes your selection options fewer, but if you focus on fitted stretch undershirts, you'll likely find something you like.

again, uniqlo is a good starting point. i would love to hear what you think of the two uniqlo products noted here, and if you decide to pick them up, would you come back here and post the fabric content of them so i can have them for my future reference?

look forward to hearing more!

jt10000

Reaction score
pnewelljr - Those other Uniqlo shirts are good too, but not as amazingly thin as the Airism shirts. And a tiny bit looser for a given size. All are nice.

Gray or flesh-tone v-neck is the way to go.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am pretty much exactly the same size as you, although I do have a wider chest. I've tried a few different options, but I've most liked the Alternative Apparel v-necks as undershirts. They're kind of expensive, but I got them on sale at Belle and Clive (where they were still kind of expensive). The V is deep enough not to show at all when the top button is undone. They come in a range of colors, so you can get something that isn't white, and won't show from under thin, white shirts as much. They aren't as fitted or as long as other shirts I've used as undershirts, but it hasn't mattered.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Instead of trying to hide the problem, why not try curing iring - shave your pits and use an antiperspirant after you shower daily.

+100

Seriously, what is the problem with shaving your pits? Hairy pits are disgusting. It's as manly as having nose hairs coming out.

Tug

Reaction score
oh, and i forgot to mention that if you're looking for a solution to remove yellow pit stains, you should take a look at either deo-go or raise.

i'm pretty sure the deo-go.com website supports shipping to tokyo but i think raise is available on amazon too, so you might be able to get it as well.

the only other solution i've heard works pretty good in removing yellow pit stains is if you soak your stains in a highly concentrated oxi-clean/water mixture over night, scrub, wash, then set out in the sun to dry. i think i read that on theartofmanliness website.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads