1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NO PURCHASE CLUB for SEPTEMBER 2011

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I just realized I agreed to the No Purchase Club and I'm going to NYC next week :(

2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Be strong, Dave. NYC will be there for a long time. No need to buy something every time you visit.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

+1 ...though you may take as many store window photos as you like. :)
    If shoes are a temptation you can always get sized and take a salespersons card, then order over the phone later....well....use your best judgement. Have a safe trip!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. acecow

acecow Senior member

Do you really think topying them is worth it? I'd just install toe caps and be done with it.
    Off-topic, but do you polish your shoes every week? You must have few shoes or a lot of time. I'm curious why you have to do it so often? I polish mine once every 2-3 months and usually a quick brushing inbetween brings back the shine just fine. And I have them stepped on constantly.

5. MyOtherLife

I, myself, am weakening. I haven't made a clothing-related purchase all year as yet. I am ready to crack at the seams. I have been looking at several pair of shoes & boots. I am starting to literally dream about them..tossing in my sleep..reaching out for them, and then..poof!..waking up, unable to get back to my dreamworld. must stay strong..must...

1 person likes this.
  6. davesmith

davesmith Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Quote:
    too late for me. on the last day of the barneys sale i got 2 coats and a pair of pants. i suck i know...

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  7. unbelragazzo

You're an inspiration to us all, MoL, don't let us down now! Dream about all the gorgeous shoes and boots you own already! Enjoy them to their fullest! At least fulfill your pledge to last until the end of the month, then reward yourself with a pair. Only 21 more days of September left to go! If you find yourself weakening still, think of what other non-clothing items you could afford to buy with the money that you'd be spending on the shoes. Concentrate on the value you get from those things.

8. MyOtherLife

Thank you unbelragazzo. You are all inspiring. We're having a good turnout this month. You're right ofcourse, I'll wear some nice spectators tomorrow, if I can find them.

Now we go into the weekend...strength to all. :cheers:

9. MyOtherLife

Alright....it's Sunday evening.....who fell down on their sword? Confessions anyone? I'm holding strong over here.

10. unbelragazzo

I'm still with you, MoL. I need a ruling though:

While shining shoes today, I noticed that one pair is developing holes in each sole. I don't have a really large shoe rotation, so I can't really just put these aside for a few weeks. Am I allowed to get these re-soled? Does that count against my $100?

11. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

Thats weird, I spent some of my saved money on a seppuku tattoo this weekend. And for the re-soling, I believe that is something that would fall under the $100 emergency fund if they are a necessary part of your rotation.

Edit: I did not spend any money on clothing, though. I also fixed a loose shirt button. A good start to the month, and then I spend all the saved money on a bike at the end of it.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  12. MyOtherLife

This is dubious. The 'I don't have a really large shoe rotation' statement doesn't tell us exactly how many pair you do have in rotation, and that would be how many.....?
    Since your rotation is (allegedly) small, may we see a photo of all of your shoes layed out on the floor, and a second photo(s) of the shoes needing a resole.
    Only then can an assesment be made. :lurk:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  13. tailoredstuff

tailoredstuff Well-Known Member

Phew, I was a bit scared to confess as well, luckily you did. Cause I got my shoes topy'ed. And I do have a small collection too. Two old thrashers and two decent ones that are near new. I got one of the new ones topy'ed so I hope it last me until the end of the month.

I did try to resist the urges and polished a pair!

14. TTO

TTO Senior member

Are clothing related books banned as well, or can I still buy them?
    -TTO

15. unbelragazzo

OK, here's a pic of all my shoes that could be worn to work, and this is including the tan pair, which have been described as "the ugliest shoes in SF history":

[​IMG]

Besides the tan, there's:

chocolate suede monks
    black monks (I hardly ever wear these, I have come to favor brown shoes overwhelmingly)
    medium brown wingtips
    dark brown blucher
    (I have a pair of the DC Lewis laceups in a light brown on the way...but other than that, any suggestions for next purchases once September is gone?)

As I said, I hardly wear the black shoes. The tan ones have been decreed an eyesore and are harder to match with things. If I put the bluchers on the DL until Sept is over, then I'm left with the suede monks and the wingtips. If it rains, that leaves me with just the wingtips.

The dark brown bluchers are the ones in trouble:

[​IMG]

Verdict?

16. valhson

valhson Active Member

Took the weekend and went to the Blue Ridge. Spent the entire weekend unplugged! It was strange at first but I quickly got over it and forgot about the rest of the world. Just enjoyed my time in some great weather with great people.

Sorry took so long getting back to ya on this. I do but mostly out of habit and ignorance. I don't know that they need it per se. Just that I do it. I will use colored polish once a month but use neutral weekly.

As for rotation Currently I have:

AE Park Ave - Brown
    AE Park Ave - Black (almost never wear. I am of the "black is for uniforms and funerals" mindset... some exceptions apply)
    AE Sanford - Walnut
    Florsheim Burgundy wingtips
    Old beat to hell pair of AE Mora - brown
    Beater Loafers

Edit: forgot about the mora in the rotation list. Silly as they are on my feet currently.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  17. MyOtherLife

unbelragazzo, thank you for the photo. If this be all your shoes, I want you to consider the following:
    For a full resole with new heel you are looking at $140 or thereabouts. For that money or a little more you could probably get yourself a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds 'Park Avenue', They would be 'factory seconds' but that shouldn't be an issue. The Park Avenue is one shoe that every man should own when building his wardrobe (in North America anyway). You could even pick up a used pair for even less. I am going to give you a pass here. Clearly there is a need.
    Buy yourself some shoes and keep the budget under $200. Thank you for your honesty in this matter.
    As to that tan pair, I see nothing wrong with them. One thing I would recommend for those is to study the welt around the toe area (or can you snap a photo of the toe area for me from above). If the stiching of the welt is close to the toe, that squared welt could be grinded down to conform more to the shape of the toe upper by a cobbler for about $10 or less. This would give them a far more elegant look. If you have specific questions pertaining to buying a new pair of Park Avenues, maybe start a new thread on this -or- put in your user signature, 'WANTED TO BUY - AE Park Avenue (your size)' and see if someone contacts you on it.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  18. unbelragazzo

MoL -
    Can I use the budget to fix up these instead? It's worth the 140 to me to keep them. I think I paid 200-250 for them and they are extremely comfy.

19. MyOtherLife

Sure, but we get to see 'before and after' photos from every angle. Get your shoes repaired matey.

20. MyOtherLife

Would you post photos of your Mora's please? I've never seen a 'beat to hell' pair before. :)