1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NO PURCHASE CLUB for OCTOBER 2011

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MyOtherLife, Oct 4, 2011.

1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Monday October 24, 2011

Not one cent spent over here. I am still battling Bronchitis though I have re-sewn many buttons and am repairing a leather strap on a duffel coat. I have discovered that KIWI wax polish makes a nice substitute for Vic's Vapo-Rub. It offers a wonderful high when working on one lung. :tounge:

How is everyone else holding up?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

A cuff button fell off one of my shirts, so I need to replace that to fulfill my repair requirement for the month. :)

3. tone76

tone76 Senior member

Another day, another fail. Bought 3 Zara ties and a Zara jacket from the Australian equivalent of GILT. That was in addition to the 2 R&B ties from last week. Total damage $49. :embar:

On the plus side, I did polish and condition both pairs of AEs. I also purged 2 pairs of crappy old shoes, and have am in the process of putting some pre-SF gear on eBay (mainly SW&D stuff).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  4. Duppy

Duppy Well-Known Member

Bought a pair of Mr. B's brogue boots last week. :embar:

5. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Other than the undershirts reported earlier, doing fine! I polished all shoes, including my wife's. My mother-in-law replaced buttons on a Gieves & Hawkes sportcoat I have with some buttons I scored from Tender Buttons on 62nd St last summer, originally intending to use on a different coat but never got around to fixing.
    Fred

6. md2010

md2010 Senior member

more damage ...... I had to buy few lacoste. So cheap here in Bangkok cheaper than US even after sale and half price compare to Australian stores. Total damage $320 . I will get $20 back as tax refund at the airport !
    3 Dress shirts and one zip up jumper.

7. MyOtherLife

October 27, 2011

4 days to go.
    How is everyone holding up? I am still purchase-free over here.

8. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

I want to thank the NPC. Yesterday, there was a Groupon for Bonobos - I think it was $55 for $110 of clothing. I was so close to buying it. Now . . . I have never purchased anything from Bonobos. Never even seriously contemplated it. But hey - it was a deal! This is what I do - buy stuff because it's a good deal. So I remembered that I had committed to the NPC and resisted.

So, I'm still holding strong. No way I'm signing up for November, though.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah I discovered that last summer, good deals are actually terrible deals when you just bought something you don't need.

And yes, there should not even be a NPC for November given the sales...

10. adagio

adagio Senior member

More fails to report. Two more jackets. However in my defense...both were bought from SF'ers-one on B&S and one on Ebay. That's me done now though. Looking forward to signing up for November.

11. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Need to buy a pair of socks, would break my 100 tögrög allowance, guess I can wait a few more days.

12. acecow

acecow Senior member

Buy a box of matches.

13. tone76

tone76 Senior member

As a final insult, I thrifted a couple more things. A HF casual long sleeve dress shirt for $5 (very rare in Australia, this is the first one I'd ever seen in all my time thrifting) and a sports coat for $10. The SC is a recent wool/silk blend and is what I consider to be a very good fit OTR. Sure, it's some department store brand, but it's very much a case of cheap and well fitting looking better than expensive and ill-fitting.

On the plus side, I did sew on a button and cleaned my wife's boots.

I think I can go for the rest of the month without falling off the wagon. Again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Resisted temptation to buy RRL during the private sale. Although it doesn't end till Nov. 2nd so I'll have two days :uhoh:

15. MyOtherLife

You guys are making so much work for me. How on earth are you going to do the November to Christmas Club?!

Alright.......time to ring in any last infidelities everyone!
    If you stayed strong all month, please report in as well.
    I'll do a scorecard sometime this week.

16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

No new purchases for me, but have been thrifting. But my thrifting does not count, since I wont be keeping any of it and will be flipping to new destinations. Only two jackets I found I will be borrowing them for F/W, and then flipping next year :laugh:

17. plei89

plei89 Senior member

I might have to join the November Club!

18. miketoc

miketoc Member

Just those alterations I reported earlier.

19. valhson

valhson Active Member

October was a huge fail for me. On top of the other reported bombing, I have, as of today, spent $769 on C&J boots and $129 on a new hat and gloves for the coming winter.
    Edit: forgot to mention the $175 for the replacement watch band (Alligator) for my fathers old Seamaster

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  20. sftiger

sftiger Senior member

Major fail here too. If nothing else, at least these threads are making me aware of how much I actually do spend on clothes, and how it probably needs to stop.