• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Pad Stitch Marks Behind Lapel = Not Full Canvas?

LLL

Reaction score
I was at a Harry Rosen store the other day looking at an OTR JP Tilford suit (plain navy) and I noticed that there weren't any readily identifiable pad stitch marks behind the lapel. Despite what has been confirmed numerous times by SF, salesmen, and blogs, that the Tilford suits made by Samuelsohn at HR are fully canvassed, I also heard from the salesman that the Tilfords don't have a canvas that extend all the way through to the bottom of the jacket and the rest of his description sounded like he was describing a half-canvas jacket. Are Tilford by Samuelsohn fully canvassed? Where might the pad stitch marks be? They are usually pretty obvious on Zegna and Canali, so where might they be on the OTR Tilfords? Thanks in advance!

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LLL
I also heard from the salesman that the Tilfords don't have a canvas that extend all the way through to the bottom of the jacket and the rest of his description sounded like he was describing a half-canvas jacket.
You are right if he was telling the truth.

literasyme

Reaction score
It depends on the material and other factors, such as the machines and thread used -- I have plenty of fully canvassed coats on which no stitch marks are apparent.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It needs pad-stitching to be full-canvas, but it may be possible that the stitches are just too small to be seen. Even with half-canvas there should still be pad-stitching in the lapel:
2841649630_2f11c3b987.jpg

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
I have plenty of fully canvassed coats on which no stitch marks are apparent.

Pad stitching with a properly set-up blind stitch machine is virtually invisible on the other side (which would be the underside of the lapel).

Pad stitching applied by hand (particular on the new extra-light fabrics) can always be seen - sometimes by more than just dimples.

literasyme

Reaction score
Right -- but how many RTW makers, other than Oxxford, do pad stitching by hand?

LLL

Reaction score
Thanks for the great information, esp the diagram and the distinction between machine and hand applied pad stitching.

So the Tilfords/Samuelsohns are... full canvas or no?

Also, the Zegnas and Canalis have their canvas interlining hand sewn into the jacket?

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LLL
Thanks for the great information, esp the diagram and the distinction between machine and hand applied pad stitching.

Also, the Zegnas and Canalis have their canvas interlining hand sewn into the jacket?

I was recently talking to an HR SA as well who said they were 3/4 canvassed. So I am not sure. I have done the pinch test and still think they are decent value for the price. I would also assume that if you tried their MTM line, you would get full canvassing.

literasyme

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LLL

Don't know about the Tilfords. AFAIK, Samuelsohn more often than not does fully canvassed coats.

Neither Zegna nor Canali do their pad stitching by hand (maybe Zegna on their highest level, but I very much doubt it). That you can see the stitches on some of them has more to do with the material than with the technique.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by literasyme
Right -- but how many RTW makers, other than Oxxford, do pad stitching by hand?

I was trying to say, it is normal, not to see the pad stitching on fully-canvased RTW garments.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bengal-stripe
I was trying to say, it is normal, not to see the pad stitching on fully-canvased RTW garments.

A recent A. Caraceni lapel, courtesy of jefferyd:

4617046092_8e0a46c98d_z.jpg

Yippeeee!

- B

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
A recent A. Caraceni lapel, courtesy of jefferyd:
4617046092_8e0a46c98d_z.jpg
Yippeeee! - B

Is that machine done?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Yes.
Food for thought there. A top Italian tailor like Caraceni using a machine in an area traditionally done by hand. Who'd have thunk it! Do those priests of bespoke tailoring over on London Lounge know about this!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads