• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No more low rise trousers!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the latest iteration started with McQueen, who designed the style for women, and then it was later imported into menswear through Hedi Slimane.

Ultimately, elements of a silhouette have to work in concert. Around the late 90s/ early 2000s, the suit started shrinking -- buttoning points got pushed higher, hems got raised, collars shrunk, pants slimmed, trouser hems went up, and the overall silhouette just got tinier and tinier. In this sense, it makes sense to wear low rise trousers because it's in concert with everything else.

That said, I'm obviously not a fan of any of those looks -- short jackets, small collars, high buttoning points, etc. I think it works for a very small number of men who are stick thin, live in big cities, and want to look fashionable. But the silhouette doesn't work for most men because it just doesn't flatter their build.

Trouser silhouettes are filling out again. You see it everywhere with Lemaire, Raf, and others. With that comes a higher rise because, again, details have to work in concert. You don't see many full-legged, low-rise trousers, just as you don't see high-rise skinny trousers.

Tailoring is supposedly immune from trends, but when I was at an Anderson & Sheppard trunk show once, I talked to John Malone, the company's trouser cutter. He's been with the company for many decades. He told me that trousers silhouettes have also followed along with fashion, albeit much more slowly. These days, he cuts a slimmer trouser than what he did in the 90s, although still not approximating anything like what you see in lower-end OTR clothes.

As the runway fashion trickles down again, my guess is that you will see the pendulum swing the other way in the next 15 years -- trickling down to J. Crew and Uniqlo, ultimately affecting what tailors cut, and how people on the street dress. Then in 20 years, we'll see another reversion to slim, lower rise trousers.

Of course, the better way forward is to figure out what fits and flatters your build, and what creates a sensible silhouette for your body type. But this often requires going to a custom tailor, which can be expensive.

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score
I think the latest iteration started with McQueen, who designed the style for women, and then it was later imported into menswear through Hedi Slimane.

Ultimately, elements of a silhouette have to work in concert. Around the late 90s/ early 2000s, the suit started shrinking -- buttoning points got pushed higher, hems got raised, collars shrunk, pants slimmed, trouser hems went up, and the overall silhouette just got tinier and tinier. In this sense, it makes sense to wear low rise trousers because it's in concert with everything else.

That said, I'm obviously not a fan of any of those looks -- short jackets, small collars, high buttoning points, etc. I think it works for a very small number of men who are stick thin, live in big cities, and want to look fashionable. But the silhouette doesn't work for most men because it just doesn't flatter their build.

Trouser silhouettes are filling out again. You see it everywhere with Lemaire, Raf, and others. With that comes a higher rise because, again, details have to work in concert. You don't see many full-legged, low-rise trousers, just as you don't see high-rise skinny trousers.

Tailoring is supposedly immune from trends, but when I was at an Anderson & Sheppard trunk show once, I talked to John Malone, the company's trouser cutter. He's been with the company for many decades. He told me that trousers silhouettes have also followed along with fashion, albeit much more slowly. These days, he cuts a slimmer trouser than what he did in the 90s, although still not approximating anything like what you see in lower-end OTR clothes.

As the runway fashion trickles down again, my guess is that you will see the pendulum swing the other way in the next 15 years -- trickling down to J. Crew and Uniqlo, ultimately affecting what tailors cut, and how people on the street dress. Then in 20 years, we'll see another reversion to slim, lower rise trousers.

Of course, the better way forward is to figure out what fits and flatters your build, and what creates a sensible silhouette for your body type. But this often requires going to a custom tailor, which can be expensive.
I couldn’t agree more.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No need to apologize. Maybe thinking more about a subject is a good use of
anyone's time.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the record, I believe the low rise fad has all but jumped the shark.

RL is bringing back forward pleats and a regular rise.

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score
No need to apologize. Maybe thing more about a subject is a good use of
anyone's time.
I’m not even talking about the history of low rise, you’re just trying to pick an argument with me about a small issue. I didn’t mean to upset you and your love of low rise trousers. And if I did do my research, it would more well detailed, but like I said, I’m not talking about the history of low rise trousers. I’m just talking about my experience. Also, when I did my research, I did stumble on the fact of when it was created, but I’m talking about what is happening now, the current trend. If you take the time to read carefully, then maybe you can see what I’m talking about. So please leave me alone about this small issue. Thank you!

jack webb

Reaction score
It seems to me low-rise trousers flatter aspects of the physique that generally don't improve as years accumulate. They may look good on you at some point in life, but you eventually age out of them.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thankfully, J Crew is no more, so at least we'll be spared that iteration of horrible.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thankfully, J Crew is no more, so at least we'll be spared that iteration of horrible.

I'm surprised you think so given that every outfit in this photo is basically J. Crew

grade-3.jpeg

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I said earlier, I wear "short rise" no more than 10.5 in usually a bit lower even on dress slacks.
When they are hard to find, I have them made, as I did once. Or I have them altered- which requires
a very competent tailor. MTM for Zanella, through Saks failed. I received a complete refund. For RTW
suits I have the trousers re-cut.

Mirage-

Reaction score
Not sure if that counts, but every single brand here in Italy carries high rise skinny jeans....for women, though. For men, it's almost impossible to get standard rise in jeans, and high rise is completely impossible I think.
Regarding non-jeans, women still have high rise options, though the fashion seems to be skinny for jeans, flared for trousers. In fact I have seen several "skinny-flared" fits.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if that counts, but every single brand here in Italy carries high rise skinny jeans....for women, though. For men, it's almost impossible to get standard rise in jeans, and high rise is completely impossible I think.
Regarding non-jeans, women still have high rise options, though the fashion seems to be skinny for jeans, flared for trousers. In fact I have seen several "skinny-flared" fits.

here in the states, the trend for women’s jeans is trending toward a looser fit. The “boyfriend” fit seems to be making a come back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads