• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No more low rise trousers!

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score
I know that there has been talk about this before, but when I started my sartorial journey, I've started to notice a lot of things that should have been easy to pick up, but I guess I was too distracted with the latest "fashion trends", a few years ago, to even notice the obvious. This all started when I was trying on my suit that I purchased years ago from Suit supply. I haven't worn this suit in a very long time and when I put it on for the first time since I started my sartorial journey, I noticed so many things that were 100% off about the jacket, but the one thing that I did not like was the low rise from my trousers. Ever since the 1990s, the trend for low rise trousers has become a staple in the fashion industry, with celebrities, and with almost every single RTW clothing brand.

When I tried them on, the first thing I realized was that they were absolutely uncomfortable. I found it difficult to sit and be comfortable at the same time. I felt so much pressure on my waist and it was so tight around my butt as well. The worst feeling was that it was absolutely tight around my gentleman's area. I also could feel the stitches on the seam stretching every time I sat down. It was the most uncomfortable experience in my life. Then I started thinking, why are they so popular if they're so uncomfortable to begin with.

The low rise trouser trend was started in the 1990's with Alexander McQueen. Normally when you create a trend, in the world of fashion, trends don't stay for long. Unfortunately, this one did. Britney Spears popularized this trend during her tour in the 90's and every girl that I knew growing up in the 90's wore low rise. I want to say around the mid 2000's, this trend started to make its way to menswear, (if someone knows the exact timeline, please let me know). It started appearing on men's jeans, chinos, and dress trousers. I can understand that it's a trend and you have to do what it takes to make money. I can also understand that it costs less to produce, but why keep making this the only way to dress. Who decided that this is the way that everyone should dress.

Low rise trousers should have never been created in the first place. It's like a disease that will never go away unless the "fashion industry" says it's no longer a trend. Low rise trousers put stress on the waist, make your torso appear longer, they take the life out of your gentleman's area, it doesn't do wonders for your gut nor your love handles, and they are absolutely unappealing (picture of George Clooney at the Met Galla wearing low rise trousers). I am so tried of seeing this trend everywhere, it needs to stop ASAP.
image.jpeg

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"The low rise trouser trend was started in the 1990's with Alexander McQueen

WRONG!!! I wore low raise trousers and jeans in the late 1960s though the 1980s.
I still wear them because I have a short rise.. Your " sartorial journey" seems to have omitted
key fact along the way.

pwbower

Reaction score

WRONG!!! I wore low raise trousers and jeans in the late 1960s though the 1980s.
I still wear them because I have a short rise.. Your " sartorial journey" seems to have omitted
key fact along the way.
Why in the world would you be so rude to the poster? He just wants to talk.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly body shape and size had something to do with it. One man’s short rise is another man’s regular rise. I think the overall cut matters too.

but…..

Low rise trousers should have never been created in the first place. It's like a disease that will never go away unless the "fashion industry" says it's no longer a trend. Low rise trousers put stress on the waist, make your torso appear longer, they take the life out of your gentleman's area, it doesn't do wonders for your gut nor your love handles, and they are absolutely unappealing (picture of George Clooney at the Met Galla wearing low rise trousers). I am so tried of seeing this trend everywhere, it needs to stop ASAP.

Clooney looks like ****! Usually does. Cary Grant ******!

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score

key fact along the way.
First of all, talk to me with respect. Second, I’m talking about the trend, not when they were first invented. Third, the key word is called “trend”. Forth, no need to be rude. I understand you’re much older than me, but be a gentleman and show some respect.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
and I always thought that this trend came from the urban/ hip hop community but I guess low rise is slightly different than " sagging" pants

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score
and I always thought that this trend came from the urban/ hip hop community but I guess low rise is slightly different than " sagging" pants
I thought the same thing, but the hip hop community just wore them in a sagging fashion.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why in the world would you be so rude to the poster? He just wants to talk.
I have little sympathy for posters who make assertions based on limited
information. Five minutes on the internet would have revealed that his claim
is incorrect.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I generally also dislike low-rise trousers, and I agree that the last 30 years has certainly seen a proliferation of such things, they certainly were trendy at points before the 90's.

That being said as well, the same things will not look good on the same people.

I am 6'0 and have a (quite short) 30" inseam. I have a friend who is also 6'0 but has a (quite long) 37" inseam.

The reason a high rise on a pair of suit trousers looks good is that it elongates the legline and brings the top and bottom half of a person into balance. This is mostly because the lounge suit was developed by Northern Europeans, who generally have longer torsos than they do limbs.

In the case of my friend with the long inseam, he also goes to my tailor. When he has pants made, if he had pants made to the same rise as the pants I have made, his balance would be thrown drastically out of proportion, and a lower rise looks better on him.

schraiber

Reaction score
While I generally also dislike low-rise trousers, and I agree that the last 30 years has certainly seen a proliferation of such things, they certainly were trendy at points before the 90's.

That being said as well, the same things will not look good on the same people.

I am 6'0 and have a (quite short) 30" inseam. I have a friend who is also 6'0 but has a (quite long) 37" inseam.

The reason a high rise on a pair of suit trousers looks good is that it elongates the legline and brings the top and bottom half of a person into balance. This is mostly because the lounge suit was developed by Northern Europeans, who generally have longer torsos than they do limbs.

In the case of my friend with the long inseam, he also goes to my tailor. When he has pants made, if he had pants made to the same rise as the pants I have made, his balance would be thrown drastically out of proportion, and a lower rise looks better on him.
Yup this is exactly it. I'm like you, 5'11'' with a 29 inch inseam. It's impossible for my legs to loon long, but at least higher rise makes them look less short.

I do think that on average a higher rise is more flattering for most people, but it's hard to separate it from looking "frumpy" to a lot of people, alas

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your perspective. It feels like most low rise trousers hang beneath the belly and can be uncomfortable. A nice pair of mid or high rise trousers sits better on my natural waist and stays in place.

TheSartorialPunjabi

Reaction score
I have little sympathy for posters who make assertions based on limited
information. Five minutes on the internet would have revealed that his claim
is incorrect.
Dude, I’m really not going to keep arguing about this all day because I have better things to do than argue. The only reason I never covered the 70’s low rise is because I didn’t think about it. I apologize if I upset you, but all you have to do is be nice about it. You could have just reminded me about the 70’s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads