1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***No Man Walks Alone x Vass MTO Thread***

Discussion in 'Preorders, Group Made-to-order, trunk shows, and o' started by stevent, Oct 11, 2013.

1. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

Apologies if this has been answered already, but how many would we need for a group a MTO? And what's the ballpark price for shell boots for US customers?

2. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

From the NMWA thread:

I'm interested in a chukka with this suede. Open to most lasts other than U. No particular preference on soles.

3. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I think we should forget shell boots at this point. The material is usually not available, or only available in one or two colors at the time, Vass has no idea when they're getting more, especially in quantities large enough for multiple pairs, and the cost for cordo high boots is IMO quite dissuasive. I don't want to embark on a group MTO journey where people will ask where their shoes are and where the answer from all parties would be "no idea"... There will be a lot of frustration involved for all.

Let's stick to calf and suede. I don't want to weigh in too much with my personal input (we already do for our RTW buying decisions) and I would like it to be driven by you guys, but that would be my only request : no shell.

4. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

was wondering how you would answer that. Vass hasn't had access to antic cognac shell for MONTHS

5. wklq76a

wklq76a Senior member

6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

That sounds promising.

7. AJL

AJL Senior member

I agree w/ this and would add a preference for F last. Already have same in dark brown suede on HAF sole, which I enjoy, but have always second guessed whether I should have had them made up in medium brown. Why not have both? Would also consider something like London 3 eyelet in same last and suede.

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

The austerity boot is sweet - and would be killer in brown museum.

9. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

it is but the color is a little flat for lack of a better description.
    good base to work with for burnishing though . . . . I learned the hard way I'm not a toe tap guy

that boot received a boatload of compliments yesterday on its second outting

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

[​IMG]

Vass' medium and dark brown calf colours do tend to be a bit on the flat side. Their burgundy shades have a bit more luster. Their Oxblood is absolutely killer.

11. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

yes sir. I take a knee & pray my osloer turns out as well as your monk 'cause it's beyond awesome Roger

12. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

F last could work. I like the P2/New Peter as well. I don't have too much familiarity with Vass chukkas, so not sure if a particular last works better. I just find the U a little too aggressive for my tastes. HAF sole also seems like a good choice.

13. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Agree regarding the lasts. U is too chiseled. And P2 is complementary to a chukka as is F. What does HAF stand for?

14. rb214

rb214 New Member

15. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

It's a double sole that tapers into a single sole at the waist.

16. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I've seen this posted a few times but never understood it. Too chiseled in comparison to what? What other chiseled lasts do you feel are less chiseled than U?

17. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I can't speak for him, but, for me, it's too chiseled for my personal preference, not compared to other chiseled lasts. It's my personal taste to like a more rounded toe. In particular to this conversation, I think chukkas look better with rounded lasts, but, again, that is just a personal preference.

As far as chiseled lasts go, I think the U last is nice. I prefer the U last chukkas I've seen compared to the C&J Tetbury on the 348, which I owned and got rid of.

18. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I mean to say that it's too chiseled for application in a chukka boot, where other, rounder lasts are more at home. (This may be open to opinion... to me a chiseled boot is if you're headlining a rock band)

19. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Okay - so it's not so much that it's "too chiseled" for you - it's that you prefer a round last to a chiseled last. That I get. F is certainly a great choice for those who want a round toe last, but one that is still fairly sleek overall. But it wouldn't make a lot of sense to call F "less chiseled" than U - if you follow me - F simply isn't chiseled at all. A difference in kind rather than in degree.

I own a few examples of both U and F - I like them all and wouldn't switch out any of them for the other if I could. But U is actually less chiseled than some much loved chiseled lasts here on SF - like the G&G TG73, for example. And it's less chiseled than Vass' K last - which is shown in the dub monk I posted above.

It's why I end up scratching my head whenever I see a claim that U is "too chiseled".

20. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Well, I would disagree with you on a chiseled boot looking like something for a rock band, but better understand your comment now. I have Chukkas - and boots in general - in both configurations and like them all very well.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
    1 person likes this.