• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No insoles option (got tight shoes)

AB01

Reaction score
I purchased some Western Zip Boots off ebay that are great. I understand that they need to be broken in, but they are a half-size smaller than I would normally wear. Parts of the toes are in pain and the boots leave red marks on my feet. I'm even using dress socks.

(I've gotten into wearing shoes smaller than usual since I slipped on ice and injured my ankle a year ago. I don't want it to happen again, and figure tight shoes would give more support.)

If I take out the insoles, however, they fit just fine. Is this not recommended? I'm trying to use common sense and figure that this may possibly cause an odor problem or arch problems. I could buy extremely thin insoles, but I'm not sure where I would find such a thing.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't think you talk about the insole. The insole is the base of a pair of shoes.
The uppers get wrapped around and the welt is attached to the insole.

You are probably talking about the "˜sock' the lightly stuck in insole liner.
You can take that one out, it won't cause any problems at all.

AB01

Reaction score
Just doing a quick Google Image search to confirm. This is basically more or less what I removed from the shoe to make it fit?
ResealableInsoleLabeled2.jpg
http://versfootcare.com/images/Resea...leLabeled2.jpg I removed the whole thing and can see nail heads. Am I missing out on shock absorption, or is that just a gimmick that running shoe companies put in my head?

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just take it out. - Nothing untoward will happen to you.

Once the boots have loosened up, you might want to experiment with a very thin lay-in sole.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have removed the same thing and replaced it with a thinner and more durable neoprene single thickness insert. It makes my dress shoes very comfortable for my 12 hour days on my feet supporting a 300 lb body.

I personally wouldn't choose to go without some padding.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get it. You intentionally buy shoes which are 1/2 size too small, knowing they will be too tight, because you think they give you better ice traction.

Now you got em, they are 1/2 size too tight and you would like to remove the insole in order to loosen them up. Why not just buy the right size and keep the insole in?

AB01

Reaction score
Wasn't available on ebay. I'm in Canada. I found only one person selling the boots that I wanted that was able to ship them to Canada (and for a good price). If they had a larger size I would have bought it.
This is what it is like to live in Canada. You can't just go into a store and get it because they don't have it. You have to find it from an American. You guys have it so good when it comes to shopping.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads