1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

No idea how to pair brown linen pants...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I can't picture anything else going with these linen pants. A typical blue/red/green checked "lawn BBQ" shirt just clashes bigtime. (smooth vs. textured also) I basically wear 2 shirts with these pants: * A short sleeve untucked burnt orange silk "summer" shirt (Now, I feel it's too "warm/Autumn/Halloween", so that's out) * An untucked white oxford (very sheer, hence "casual". Think JCrew not BB) Also, I can't picture anything tucked in, as it's such a casual looking pant. But, I am done with the untucked look. So, I'm stuck this summer. Any other ideas? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Solid. Neutral color. I'm struggling to figure out what wouldn't go with this.

3. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

If you are that mentally challenged, and the pants are a 32-34, just send them to me instead.

4. SuitMyself

SuitMyself Senior member

Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

Either in solid or in stripes or checks.

Brown is incredibly easy to work with.

5. Sander

Sander Senior member

Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

+1. You seem to suffer from a mental block, just pair it with a light blue OCBD (tucked), there's no way that won't look good.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Cream shirt.

Blue shirt.

Pink shirt.

+1...Also white shirt!

7. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Tucked or untucked?
    I feel like this is tucking a shirt into a pair of shorts.
    Just feels wrong.

Also, note the pants have a lot of "flop" to them, so a STIFF formal shirt just clashes bigtime.
    I will try a blue dress shirt, but.....
    do you mean smooth/formal dress shirts, like you'd wear in winter with suit pants?
    B/c I don't just feel like they go with such a "burlap sack" type of fabric.

Am I conveying this correctly?

I don't wear cream shirts.
    I will try a more casual white oxford tucked in, and see how it looks.

8. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

Tucked or untucked?
    I feel like this is tucking a shirt into a pair of shorts.
    Just feels wrong.

Also, note the pants have a lot of "flop" to them, so a STIFF formal shirt just clashes bigtime.
    I will try a blue dress shirt, but.....
    do you mean smooth/formal dress shirts, like you'd wear in winter with suit pants?
    B/c I don't just feel like they go with such a "burlap sack" type of fabric.

Am I conveying this correctly?

I don't wear cream shirts.
    I will try a more casual white oxford tucked in, and see how it looks.

[​IMG]

9. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I disagree.
    A crisply pressed Oxford shirt looks ridiculous when paired with a rumpled/floppy pair of linen pants.
    I can't possibly be the only one who thinks this way.

10. alliswell

alliswell Senior member

11. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

brown linen pants +

...sky blue cotton shirt + chocolate suede driving mocs + chocolate suede belt

...white cotton shirt+ snuff suede driving mocs + snuff suede belt

...light grey polo shirt+ snuff suede driving mocs + snuff suede belt

...light grey gingham shirt + ...

...light blue gingham shirt + ...

...light purple gingham shirt + ...

12. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I disagree.
    A crisply pressed Oxford shirt looks ridiculous when paired with a rumpled/floppy pair of linen pants.
    I can't possibly be the only one who thinks this way.

No reason to press the shirt. An OCBD left to hang dry in virtually any light solid colour would be fine.

13. vincerich

vincerich Senior member

Grey shirt + black sweater?

Olive shirt + light blue sweater?

Any sportshirt with complementary colors?

14. modagg

modagg Senior member

Agreed. They may actually be one of the most versatility colored pants I have ever seen.

I dunno if I agree with the advise about pink; huge fan of pink with a nice dark chocolate brown but with a lighter brown, there are better colors (not that it wouldn't work). With lighter browns I like to do earthy colors, match it with a sky blue oxford or even a forest green.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have to agree its easy to get a mental block on some pieces of clothing or outfits. I usually force myself to wear a "blocked" outfit at least twice before I give up. Often it works better than you think.

I'd go for a blue linen shirt with a bit of blouse non slim cut tucked in. Or a brown toned long sleeved polo NOT tucked in.

16. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

This helped a lot. Thanks for the replies. I think I broke the mental block on these pants by taking some pics. Most of these look just fine... particularly the blue, now that I see the pairing. (You can see my default orange, which I just don't like anymore.) Which pairings do you like? [​IMG] [​IMG] PS: Pink and brown makes me feel like a piece of cake. [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. fxh

fxh Senior member

I have to agree its easy to get a mental block on some pieces of clothing or outfits. I usually force myself to wear a "blocked" outfit at least twice before I give up. Often it works better than you think.

I'd go for a blue linen shirt with a bit of blouse non slim cut tucked in. Or a brown toned long sleeved polo NOT tucked in.

Keep in mind there is TONE and COLOUR.

Getting the tone right is important but you might get the right tone and wrong colour or more frequently people get the color right but the wrong tone

As always take comfort in the fact that most people won't give a rats arse or know. And those that do know will be (or should be) more concerned with fit. If you are lucky you'll never meet a SF person in real life anyway.

18. Vinnie Vegas

Vinnie Vegas Well-Known Member

This helped a lot. Thanks for the replies.
    I think I broke the mental block on these pants by taking some pics.
    Most of these look just fine... particularly the blue, now that I see the pairing.
    (You can see my default orange, which I just don't like anymore.)

Which pairings do you like?

They seem to look best with the lighter coloured shirts, like the light green and blue.

19. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I agree. Since the pants have a "breezy/summery' vibe to them, I like the pastels. I will wear with the green, yellow, AND the blue. These just became my "go to" pants...

20. seanpatrickb

seanpatrickb Senior member

The color matching with these is easy, but did I see someone suggest pairing a linen shirt with the linen pants? I have always thought this was a no go, feels too much like a denim suit to me.