1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

No effs given... correctly

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Cantabrigian, May 24, 2013.

1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Inspired by this unnatural disaster, completely with mildly amusing arthmetic-related introduction...
    Seems like no effs given has become the default excuse for looking awful. Obviously, if you clicked on this site, you care. If you posted a photo, you care more. If you didn't you wouldn't shuffle your Crocs over to the mirror to selfie it up. I know I can't dress FU so I don't try. But it seems like this - like everything else - can be done well and poorly. Let's get into that. Photos, elaborate descriptions, hurt feelings. That's what I'm hoping we'll find here.

3 people like this.
  2. Cantabrigian

I'll hasten to add that I believe GMMcL has already seen the error(s) of his ways so I use that post only as a jumping off point. Not something to belabor.

3. Cantabrigian

Another recent example.

I believe this is hows you does it

Croquet alone gets you halfway to win.

2 people like this.
  4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'd like Kent's more with natural white Converse high-tops.

How will this be different from the peacock thread?

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. Cantabrigian

That's for showing off your lapel pocketwatch chain and new bracelets (at the same time!).

This is more about the principles behind not looking bad when not looking boring. (I don't mind looking boring so I'm starting this thread as a public service.)

When Spoo shows up, he'll explain further.

6. DocHolliday

Hopefully this thread can feature some awesomesauce fit battles. After all, yolo.

3 people like this.
  7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

was that first picture posted in seriousness :confused:

8. Cantabrigian

True.

Like Timotune's monogram says, #YOLO

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Although he rarely needed an excuse, I think Spoo does N.E.G. very well. I saw him wear piss yellow trousers once... And he looked good. [​IMG]

10. DocHolliday

Something I'd genuinely like to see discussed: What's the secret to dressing "interestingly" without looking like you're desperate for attention? TTO and Barims do this very well. Most guys who try it don't strike me as interesting at all, but TTO and Barims do.

I have some thoughts but will hold off for now.

1 person likes this.
  11. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think there's a magic bullet. This sounds like a cop-out, but I think a lot of it has to do with matching your clothing to your persona, so that it seems like something natural rather than a prosthetic. Some people are just not meant to dress "interestingly".

1 person likes this.
  12. unbelragazzo

Similarly, it's important to match your clothing to your environment. You can dress more interestingly for a croquet tournament than you would for a conservative office without it seeming like a plea for help.

13. Garasaki

Garasaki Senior member

+1

14. Caustic Man

I've been trying to figure out this concept objectively. So far as I can tell, seeming natural simply means people are used to seeing you do it. For instance, it might look kind of contrived for Tibor to wear vintage clothing every so often. However so far as I can tell, he wears it all the time. Therefore it seems natural because we are used to seeing him in it. Know what I mean?

15. unbelragazzo

I don't think that's it. Maybe part of it, because you get more comfortable as you wear something more often too, but I think a lot of it doesn't come across in photos on the Internet anyway. There's nothing "objective" about it though. It's all subjective.

16. Caustic Man

I have a suspicion that most subjective things have a basis in objective fact. Like why we can tell you why certain songs are successful, or why some people like the taste of chocolate. If it were all subjective then I could just as easily say that any particular person DOESN'T look comfortable in unique clothing, and there would be just as much of a chance of that as someone saying that they do. Over time it's basically 50/50. But some people, I think, objectively do look more comfortable stepping out a bit. Tirraileur (sp) for instance.

17. unbelragazzo

Objective and subjective are now boring and meaningless words. Let's agree not to use them.

We may all agree that a particular song is good, or we may not. But any attempt to classify good songs and bad songs based on some criteria measurable by something other than our own personal judgment is doomed. All the "rules" are just retrofitting our own preferences. Once you notice you like something, you can go back and claim that it's because of the way this texture plays with that or whatever, but it's only a justification. There's no system that is capable of producing flawless, original, and interesting work. Originality requires inspiration, which is a gift from the muses, not the philosophers.

"Good" and "bad" is not a useful classification for clothing either. To me it's more about the impressions you get from someone and the inferences you make about them. Two different people can wear the same clothing and it can give a very different impression.

1 person likes this.
  18. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

The ability to look great while wearing rather atypical things is very close to my personal definition of what makes someone stylish, as opposed to just being well-dressed/elegant. The latter requires some inclination, great patience and a moderate chequebook. The former is impossible for most of us, as it takes a touch of genius/inspiration.

How they do it is beyond me in terms of the underlying mechanics. It's probably a combination of lots of practice (constantly pushing the envelope of what works together & reflecting on successes & failures), a considerable natural sympathy for aesthetics (an eye for proportion, colour, pattern, detail, etc), and a restless imagination. These things feed off each other, incrementally developing the skillset. Having a profession/lifestyle where it's easy to experiment is probably a necessary but not sufficient requirement too. Finally, and this probably goes without saying, but being good-looking (or intriguingly not) also makes a great deal of difference to pulling off good peacock-type outfits.

I would love to be able to work these kind of looks consistently well, but lack at least a couple of the above requirements (I leave it to you to deduce which), so settle for having fun instead. Ah well, there are worse fates. But I do have a sneaking envy for the Tirailleurs, barims, TTOs, Parkers, etc of the world!

PS. I do think it would have been rather nicer to simply hyperlink to the waywrn post of the poor fellow with the unfortunate outfit in the OP rather than embedding the entire post inline for ridicule. It's not a pleasant way to treat another person in my opinion - logically defensible, of course, but still not pleasant - but each to their own I suppose.

5 people like this.
  19. Caustic Man

The problem with defining good and bad is that the words themselves are subjective. I'm not dealing with that though. I'm just talking about what makes things appealing. And beyond that, what makes things seem natural. Oh, and another thing, as Aristotle may have pointed out, philosophers actually exist. Muses do not.

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I think presence has something to do with it, along with a sense of drama. You never want your clothes to have more presence than you do -- TTO and Barima (who was most active before my time on here, to be honest) can keep up with the stuff they wear, but I'm pretty sure if you put me in their best rigs, I'd be worn by them.

There are also a lot of people who think a little too much about Styleforum when they put something together. For better or worse, I'm learning how to dress from the internet too -- but I'm conscious of the differences between SF and the real world. Heck, I'm conscious of the differences between SF, AAAC, and Tumblr.

I think a wide range of influences, beyond the #menswear miasma of Lino/Luca/Connery, is vital. Holdfast, who's being pretty modest here, in my estimation, is somebody who's certainly talked about drawing influences from some pretty varied sources. Like, in the last few months, the biggest influences on how I dress have been more big picture concepts from art classes than specific combinations of clothes I've seen online.