• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No dry clean? Yours legs don't sweat?

cartisdm

Reaction score
After doing lots of searching around the forum, most people don't seem to wash their wool pants/suits but maybe 2/3 times a year. At this point I have enough pants wear I only wear the same pair once, maybe twice a week...but still, they feel dirty after a few wears. If I just hang them and give them a quick steam will this be enough?

I saw some posts about washing in cold water, roll out the water, then hang dry and steam/iron. Even though my pants say "DRY CLEAN ONLY" I assume this is still ok to do, correct? Is this to be done in place of the 2 to 3 yearly dry cleanings or in between?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I wash mine in the machine on the gentle cycle with woolite. Hang dry then take them to the cleaners to get the creases pressed in for a couple of dollars. No problems and you don't get that rancid pissy stench from the cleaners.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cartisdm
After doing lots of searching around the forum, most people don't seem to wash their wool pants/suits but maybe 2/3 times a year. At this point I have enough pants wear I only wear the same pair once, maybe twice a week...but still, they feel dirty after a few wears. If I just hang them and give them a quick steam will this be enough?

I saw some posts about washing in cold water, roll out the water, then hang dry and steam/iron. Even though my pants say "DRY CLEAN ONLY" I assume this is still ok to do, correct? Is this to be done in place of the 2 to 3 yearly dry cleanings or in between?

If you are going to wash at home hand wash, never put them in a machine.

I always steam mine to keep them fresh and I never have problems
thumbs-up.gif

Also, my legs never really sweat so i don't worry too much about it...

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ianiceman
I wash mine in the machine on the gentle cycle with woolite. Hang dry then take them to the cleaners to get the creases pressed in for a couple of dollars. No problems and you don't get that rancid pissy stench from the cleaners.

Most dry cleaners charge just as much to press pants as they do to clean and press.

Jay

Reaction score
Generally, no, my legs don’t sweat and I wouldn't wear wool pants on an exceptionally hot day when my legs would sweat. Also, wool has the excellent property of not holding smells, so you don't have to clean them as often as cotton pants. If you sweat a lot, then clean your pants after wearing them a few times. If you think they are dirty just because you haven't dry cleaned the pants after wearing them, then steaming should be fine. I would not risk washing nice wool pants by myself because they might end up looking cheap.

cartisdm

Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the input guys. I had no idea I could get such life out of my wool pants. I want to be sure I build some good care habits early on so I get the longest life out of my pants.

I got my pants from Banana Republic on sale over the weekend. I don't remember exactly the blend but I noticed they were 97% wool. What is the difference between 97% and 100%?

z7f9q

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, thanks for the input guys. I had no idea I could get such life out of my wool pants. I want to be sure I build some good care habits early on so I get the longest life out of my pants.

I got my pants from Banana Republic on sale over the weekend. I don't remember exactly the blend but I noticed they were 97% wool. What is the difference between 97% and 100%?

I'll go out on a limb and say 3%.
devil.gif

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Make sure to always wipe your ass well and change your drawers.

ebmk3891

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Most dry cleaners charge just as much to press pants as they do to clean and press.

Yep - it's the hand-press that factors into the price of dry cleaning. The extra dollar is for the chemical wash.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ebmk3891
Yep - it's the hand-press that factors into the price of dry cleaning. The extra dollar is for the chemical wash.

I actually heard that it is because they need to wet it, or steam it more. If you are washing something they press it when it is still a bit damp to get a better press. So if you are just giving them something dry it takes more effort.

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
I have pants that I've never cleaned. I steam my pants after or before each wear though.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My legs, or rather crotch sweats quite a bit. To be honest, I like the accumulation of pheromones that goes along with not dry cleaning my trou. It lets men know I'm formidible, and women know I'm virile.

Jay

Reaction score

They often add some stretch material (elastane, spandex, etc) to the wool for comfort. 100% wool is better.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
My legs, or rather crotch sweats quite a bit. To be honest, I like the accumulation of pheromones that goes along with not dry cleaning my trou. It lets men know I'm formidible, and women know I'm virile.

I actually lol'ed at this

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands

There is no sound scientific evidence of a human pheromone.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads