• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Country For Old Men

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to start a new thread b/c I don't have any idea what most of the others are about. Has anyone seen this? I've enjoyed (w/ a bit of a struggle) most of McCarthy's earlier works, but haven't read recent stuff (this, The Crossing, Cities of the Plain or The Road). I seen a couple of reviews that are, to put it mildly, unanimously positive. I think I might have to see this...

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw it this past Saturday. The movie is a wonderful artistic work, but the ending (which I have read is true to the novel) left me mildly unsatisfied. Maybe I am too used to the typical Hollywood ending. I may have to see it again.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Coens and McCarthy, this might be my most anticipated movie ever.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I saw it this past Saturday. The movie is a wonderful artistic work, but the ending (which I have read is true to the novel) left me mildly unsatisfied. Maybe I am too used to the typical Hollywood ending. I may have to see it again.

I am looking forward to seeing this. I have read the book and, if the ending of the movie mirrors the ending to the book, I can see how it would leave the viewer unsatisfied.

Brian SD

Reaction score
With the exception of hte Lady Killers, the Coen brothers always satisfy me. I am really excited for this movie, but it's not playing in my area yet.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is an absolutely fantastic piece of filmmaking. I can't think of anything better that's been made the last few years. As good as the novel was, I think the film version surpasses it- and this is Cormac McCarthy we're talking about! I actually have a theory that McCarthy wrote the book with the intention of selling it to the studios and cashing in- the thing reads like a screenplay and the Coens are incredibally true to the text. If this thing doesn't pick up Best Picture at the Oscars there's no justice in the world.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
With the exception of hte Lady Killers, the Coen brothers always satisfy me. I am really excited for this movie, but it's not playing in my area yet.

laugh.gif

That film was sooooooo unbelievably bad. The Coens are a guilty pleasure of mine (I love Raising Arizona) and McCarthy is one of my favorite living authors so I'm definitely going to make a concerted effort to see this. Eventually. Like I said, guilty pleasure.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why the hell would Coens be a guilty pleasure? I love every one of their movies with the exception of The Ladykillers and Miller's Crossing, which I haven't seen entirely.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Why the hell would Coens be a guilty pleasure?

I love every one of their movies with the exception of The Ladykillers and Miller's Crossing, which I haven't seen entirely.

Interesting; Miller's Crossing is one of my favorites along with Fargo and Blood Simple.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
Why the hell would Coens be a guilty pleasure?
+1. The Coens are well-regarded filmmakers. A guilty pleasure is something I am somewhat embarrassed to admit I enjoy, e.g., Nip/Tuck, Popeye's fried chicken, SF dating threads.

Manny Calavera

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm not ******** on the Coens. I will say they are a guilty pleasure of mine though as they are quite the Hollywood-as-art anti-intellectualists and with so much great film out right now (De Palma's Redacted, the final showings of Pierrot le frou, Berlin Alexanderplatz finally available on DVD) this film has slipped down my viewing queue. I'll definitely catch it when it hits on DVD and I'm pretty interested in the "score", as it seems very respectful within the context of McCarthy's novel.

Handlethevibe

Reaction score
I'd rather watch the film that they stole all their ideas and inspiration from, The Glass Key. Just kidding, I'm not one of those types. I love the Coens Brothers. Both movies are derivations on the novel anyways. Another movie I'm eagerly looking forward to see as well as No Country for Old Men is PTA's There Will Be Blood!

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser

Just saw the film and pretty much agree with ACs take. Very good overall and it definately left me a bit stunned with the final 1/4 of the film. Required a little reflection on my part. However I didnt even know it was based on a book and just watched it cause of the commercials.

Anyway, I think the title says everything.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads