• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No Country For Old Men

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting Sauce I came to a similar conclusion.

I still don't understand why Anton decided to make the call on Moss's wife after he had got away with the money. He obvsiously wanted it for himself and was not keen on making his presence known to the lawmen.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As Carson said, he has his principles, of a sort.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic film. I really liked the Coen's dark treatment of the story. This script IMO is the perfect groundwork to express/affirm a filmmaker's style. I would have loved to see this as the basis of a cinematographic experiment: give the McCarthy book to the Coen bros and I dunno... QT, Cronenberg, C-W Park and Lynch, and ask them each to come up with their adaptation and film... I would see all of them

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw it this weekend--really really good. I'm having a hard time explaining to people why I liked it. I think I'm just going to memorize Saucemaster's analysis to sound smart.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book. As to whnay's query above (in hidden text), it reminded me of Lee Van Cleef from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Van Cleef's character was a killer, but one with rules. In an early scene, he goes back to kill a character who hired him to kill someone else, just because the person he was hired to kill in the first place offered him more money to kill the first guy. He kills both men, and his reasoning is that he always fulfills his contracts.

Somewhat different than what happens in NCFOM, but a similar idea of a "principled" outlaw (at least in his own mind).

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Hell of a movie. Took me a while to wrap my head around what the ending really meant.

Also, I had to resist the temptation to use Brolin's Texas drawl for the rest of the day!!

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JBZ
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I read the book. As to whnay's query above (in hidden text), it reminded me of Lee Van Cleef from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Van Cleef's character was a killer, but one with rules. In an early scene, he goes back to kill a character who hired him to kill someone else, just because the person he was hired to kill in the first place offered him more money to kill the first guy. He kills both men, and his reasoning is that he always fulfills his contracts.

Somewhat different than what happens in NCFOM, but a similar idea of a "principled" outlaw (at least in his own mind).

Somewhat similar to Tom Cruise's character in Collateral.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Somewhat. Vincent's much more human, though, and a much more complex character. Very different narratives, in any case. Collateral looks horribly weak in comparison to No Country For Old Men, though it still has brilliant acting and some superb dialogue.

mr.loverman

Reaction score
it captured the 80's perfectly i thought. the guns, the cars, the colors. all the attention to detail. really cool. it didn't seem so much like a movie as peering back in time.

o and the acting was top notch.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, until Chigurh talked about the date on the coin, I had no idea what year it was set in. There were a few anachronisms, but I'm not really nerd enough to care.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard on one of those "Hollywood Minute" segments on the radio that a sequel for No Country is being planned. What would that entail? I suggest Moss's brother, played by Casey Affleck, comes after Chigurh and the money.

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
To be honest, until Chigurh talked about the date on the coin, I had no idea what year it was set in. There were a few anachronisms, but I'm not really nerd enough to care.

Yeah, but they mentioned an ATM at one point. The eighties setting was kind of a last minute change, but why they left this bit of dialogue in, I don't know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads