• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No calorie noodles. Shirataki

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Aren't they just cut konjac gel? I think they are pretty traditional Japanese food. No flavor, they soak up whatever they are in, which is why you see them, traditionally, in things like sukiyaki.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no flavor. Definitely in odd, mushy texture.I've purchased some from Miracle Noodle before, and I don't plan on purchasing any again.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good **** if you are on a low carb diet. I used to eat a lot of it when I was doing UD2.0. It tastes like whatever it is cooked in, but the texture was like rubber.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good **** if you are on a low carb diet. I used to eat a lot of it when I was doing UD2.0. It tastes like whatever it is cooked in, but the texture was like rubber.

Did you like UD2.0? Have you done any other Lyle McDonald diets?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you like UD2.0? Have you done any other Lyle McDonald diets?

UD2.0 was great. Very effective at getting me from about 13-14% to probably a shade under 10%. I did 2 rounds of about 6 weeks each. It is a hard diet to follow but very very effective. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are under 15% or so. If you are higher, try RFL. It is apparently very effective as well but I don't have first hand knowledge of it, just what is posted by others on Lyle's forum.

Plus, Lyle's UD2.0 book is very good with lots of information on how the body's metabolic processes work.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a shade under 10. Was thinking of trying UD for fun... I think every now and then it's good to cut down a bit. Might never happen but I know UD 2.0 is pretty intense. Have friends that got great results with RFL... I've done a modified version of I've been eating an abnormal amount of carbs and am feeling a little puffy. I've done it twice, both for 6 days at a time and it worked extremely well, got me back to easily seeing abs by the 3rd or so day but I kept going because I felt great.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no health hazard. They are made from "konyaku" potatoes. Shirataki is shaped like a noodle, but not really used like other typical noodles. It is just put in hot pots, like iammatt suggested.

Konyaku is popular as a diet food in Japan though, so I guess Shirataki would be good as well. Konyaku has similar flavor and texture as shirtaki, but is more like a whole block (like tofu), rather than shaped like a noodle.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm a shade under 10. Was thinking of trying UD for fun... I think every now and then it's good to cut down a bit. Might never happen but I know UD 2.0 is pretty intense. Have friends that got great results with RFL... I've done a modified version of I've been eating an abnormal amount of carbs and am feeling a little puffy. I've done it twice, both for 6 days at a time and it worked extremely well, got me back to easily seeing abs by the 3rd or so day but I kept going because I felt great.

Yeah, give it a shot. If you are already under 10, it should get you in the 7-8% range with no problems. You'll be totally ripped... :slayer:

Can you describe your modified RFL if you don't mind? As a vegetarian, it is a struggle for me to do any of these diets, since there is no vegetarian equivalent to chicken that has high protein and essentially zero carbs. But I did manage UD2.0 on protein shakes and TVP.... bleh...:D

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

But I did manage UD2.0 on protein shakes and TVP.... bleh...:D

oh god, are the toilets in your house still working after that?

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

oh god, are the toilets in your house still working after that?

:lol: Yeah, it was brutal. But my sig sums up my mental approach when I did UD2.0 as a vegetarian.

Last edited:

narcissism

Reaction score
These noodles seem intriguing. How long have they been on the commercial market for?

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, give it a shot. If you are already under 10, it should get you in the 7-8% range with no problems. You'll be totally ripped... :slayer:

Can you describe your modified RFL if you don't mind? As a vegetarian, it is a struggle for me to do any of these diets, since there is no vegetarian equivalent to chicken that has high protein and essentially zero carbs. But I did manage UD2.0 on protein shakes and TVP.... bleh...:D

Honestly high protein sounds miserable as a vegetarian, because it would essentially be shakes...

I did it without the EC stack, and I also basically did IF along with it. 2 meals a day. I eat out a ton and food is basically my life so I'm sort of used to fasting anyway. I only did RFL because I want to stay thin as long as I possibly can, and I don't like being even just a little bit soft.

I also didn't use supplements... most of them have very little evidence for efficacy, especially **** like magnesium. I did take an EFA however. At the end I didn't do a full scare "refeed" because I frankly find it a bit barbaric. I also took in far less protein than prescribed because you'd have to be nuts to eat 320+g of protein. I basically just deplete my glucose (takes a day or so), and by the 3rd day of fasting and high protein I'm pretty much leaned out. I do it for another 3 days and then I transition carbs back in slowly.

While I was on it I braised a huge cabbage and ate that every day, and that included some olive oil and a teaspoon of sugar. Averaged over 6 days it doesn't amount to much but there are some RFL people that would fall to their knees in contrition for doing the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics