• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nizoral shampoo

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this shampoo for hair thickening?

Do I need a prescription to buy this shampoo in Toronto?

Thanks

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jack black came out with a hair thickening shampoo also.

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dragon8 - working hard to get his 100th post
smile.gif

ruben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't it a dandruff shampoo?

An old roomate used it, I borrowed some for a bit when I ran out of my shampoo, really fried my hair.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nizoral has this chemical and it prevent dandruff. Also, what others have found is that this product cleans and destroy agents that form around your hair root by DHT. This byproduct that gets created by DHT thins hair and eventually you lose that hair. By removing this byproduct from your scalp, the hair gets thickened. I am using the product now.. I feel pretty good...

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MilanoStyle
Nizoral has this chemical and it prevent dandruff. Also, what others have found is that this product cleans and destroy agents that form around your hair root by DHT. This byproduct that gets created by DHT thins hair and eventually you lose that hair. By removing this byproduct from your scalp, the hair gets thickened. I am using the product now.. I feel pretty good...

I used it for a year or so. It is tough to tell if it works though as I seem to go through periods where it seems to thin more than other times (I'm still working with a full head for now).

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The active ingredient in Nizoral is ketaconazole. In the US it is only available for 1% without prescription, in Canada up to 2% is available without prescription. I have used it and it does thicken the hair, however, the effect is only cosmetic and the 1% seems to work better at this than the 2%.

The active ingredient is a mild anti-androgen, however I feel that DHT is not the root of the problem (pun intended). Niz contains sodium laureth sulfate, so it might irritate the scalp as much as it helps. The directions indicate to not use it too often.

If you want to get rid of dandruff try taking a multi-vitamin, take 3000mg of a potent fish oil* (most crucial), some green tea extract, some grape seed extract, and 1000mg blackcurrant oil. That should thicken up your hair and get rid of dandruff and itching.

If you want purely cosmetic suggestions then I can give you those too.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
If you want to get rid of dandruff try taking a multi-vitamin, take 3000mg of a potent fish oil* (most crucial), some green tea extract, some grape seed extract, and 1000mg blackcurrant oil. That should thicken up your hair and get rid of dandruff and itching.

can you suggest any good product names that have those items?

thanks

atroopan

Reaction score
+1 on Fish oil pills for a multitude of health benefits including hair. I'd go for the stuff that contains high amounts of the EPA and DHA as opposed to the store brand weaker stuff.

I like this company's stuff actually:

***.t-nation.com

The flameout brand is quite potent. On the same vein, some of their other products like the met drive banana flavour and the BCAA are personal favourites too.

troop

G79

Reaction score
Nizoral is a ketoconazole shampoo normally given to cure dandruff. It will not thicken your hair.

Texastyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive a REALLY old thread, but does anyone know how often you are supposed to use nizoral for hair to thicken? It suggests once every 3-4 days for the first two weeks and then once every two weeks but that is for getting rid of dandruff.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry to revive a REALLY old thread, but does anyone know how often you are supposed to use nizoral for hair to thicken? It suggests once every 3-4 days for the first two weeks and then once every two weeks but that is for getting rid of dandruff.

It doesn't exactly thicken, it topically removes the DHT from your scalp and in some cases promotes new hair growth like rogaine. You need to really rub it into the scalp and leave it on for 5 minutes. It dries out your hair, so get some strong conditioner like Aussie 3 Minute Miracle. Frequency - unknown.

Last edited:

Khayembii Communique

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use it twice a week. Like willpower said, you gotta scrub it in and leave it on for 5 minutes. I've never had a problem with my hair drying out but I use another shampoo afterwards that might be solving that problem.

zatarregaza

Reaction score
Is it just me or is it hard as hell to find Nizoral on stores shelves these days? I swear I haven't seen one in months.

I went into a Walgreens the other day and they had a note where the Nizoral would have been on the shelf that read they were out of stock like most other retailers and that they wouldn't be able to get another shipment until early next year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads