• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nissan LEAF

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few people I know have been on the waiting list for the Chevy Volt, and all are disappointed in the car's final specs. Not fully electric, etc. It seems like the Nissan LEAF is the next big electric car project. There's no gasoline involved and allegedly the starting MSRP will be around $25K (I think the Volt is $40k).

Is anyone on the list? Any news on the LEAF? I'm intrigued.

Logan

Reaction score
I sat in a Volt at the auto show the other day. I didn't like it at all. Seemed kinda cheap on the inside. They had a leaf there but I couldn't sit in it. But electric vehicles aren't really practical, waiting all night to 'fuel up' doesn't make sence. Plus batteries are dirty as hell.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Logan
I sat in a Volt at the auto show the other day. I didn't like it at all. Seemed kinda cheap on the inside. They had a leaf there but I couldn't sit in it. But electric vehicles aren't really practical, waiting all night to 'fuel up' doesn't make sence. Plus batteries are dirty as hell.
Yeah, because oil is so clean:
oil-covered-bird.jpg

aizan

Reaction score
no battery chargers at your work's parking lot?

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That $25K number is after a tax break iirc.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
are disappointed in the car's final specs. Not fully electric, etc.

The only think I don't like about the Volt is the price. I wouldn't want an all electric car with no on the road refueling options. You can be fully electric with the Volt if you drive it like you'd drive the Leaf. The Volt is also more attractive and more powerful.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

oil-covered-bird.jpg

well it's not like the batteries are powered by solar or anything like that, so that bird is still f*cked.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS

oil-covered-bird.jpg

Where do you think the electricity comes from?

pollution.jpg

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
well it's not like the batteries are powered by solar or anything like that, so that bird is still f*cked.

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman

pollution.jpg

Bingo! electric cars are not the solution to the short or long term problem.

I think it is going to have to come down to solar power. I've read that if we could harness the suns energy for 1 day we could power every car in the world for a year. which seems kind of crazy

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is though, once the world is dependent on electricity the oil firms will have no choice but to invest in new ways to harvest it.

At this stage no one gives a **** about electricity because its all about light bulbs and TVs.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
The only think I don't like about the Volt is the price. I wouldn't want an all electric car with no on the road refueling options. You can be fully electric with the Volt if you drive it like you'd drive the Leaf. The Volt is also more attractive and more powerful.
Yep. HUGE design flaw in the Leaf.

ComboOrgan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
yeah, it's a two step problem 1. power cars with electricity 2. switch most electrical generation to nuclear Electric cars match up beautifully with nuclear power, since nuclear provides high baseload with less variability than coal. Since electric cars do most of their "refueling" at night when there is plenty of available baseload, it's a good solution. So there is still good reason to switch to electric - it's taking the first step, and hopefully the government/utilities will follow though with the next step

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pilot
Bingo! electric cars are not the solution to the short or long term problem.

I think it is going to have to come down to solar power. I've read that if we could harness the suns energy for 1 day we could power every car in the world for a year. which seems kind of crazy

That's a massive if. If we had the technology and infrastructure to be able to do that, we wouldn't be driving cars anymore. We'd have already figured out teleportation.

SladeDT

Reaction score
So... why not electric car + solar panels at the home? win win?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads