Nissan LEAF

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

A few people I know have been on the waiting list for the Chevy Volt, and all are disappointed in the car's final specs. Not fully electric, etc. It seems like the Nissan LEAF is the next big electric car project. There's no gasoline involved and allegedly the starting MSRP will be around $25K (I think the Volt is $40k).

Is anyone on the list? Any news on the LEAF? I'm intrigued.

2. Logan

Logan Senior member

I sat in a Volt at the auto show the other day. I didn't like it at all. Seemed kinda cheap on the inside. They had a leaf there but I couldn't sit in it. But electric vehicles aren't really practical, waiting all night to 'fuel up' doesn't make sence. Plus batteries are dirty as hell.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I sat in a Volt at the auto show the other day. I didn't like it at all. Seemed kinda cheap on the inside. They had a leaf there but I couldn't sit in it. But electric vehicles aren't really practical, waiting all night to 'fuel up' doesn't make sence. Plus batteries are dirty as hell.
    Yeah, because oil is so clean: [​IMG]

4. aizan

aizan Senior member

no battery chargers at your work's parking lot?

5. shibbel

shibbel Senior member

That $25K number is after a tax break iirc.

6. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

are disappointed in the car's final specs. Not fully electric, etc.

The only think I don't like about the Volt is the price. I wouldn't want an all electric car with no on the road refueling options. You can be fully electric with the Volt if you drive it like you'd drive the Leaf. The Volt is also more attractive and more powerful.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

Here is the thing, volt/leaf are going to be for the everyday consumer, if you want a luxury electric car then you go for the Tesla S link http://www.teslamotors.com/models/gallery it has a fully touch screen dashboard, looks very slick

8. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Yeah, because oil is so clean:

[​IMG]

well it's not like the batteries are powered by solar or anything like that, so that bird is still f*cked.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Yeah, because oil is so clean:

[​IMG]

Where do you think the electricity comes from?

[​IMG]

10. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

well it's not like the batteries are powered by solar or anything like that, so that bird is still f*cked.

[​IMG]

Bingo! electric cars are not the solution to the short or long term problem.

I think it is going to have to come down to solar power. I've read that if we could harness the suns energy for 1 day we could power every car in the world for a year. which seems kind of crazy

11. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

The thing is though, once the world is dependent on electricity the oil firms will have no choice but to invest in new ways to harvest it.

At this stage no one gives a fuck about electricity because its all about light bulbs and TVs.

12. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

The only think I don't like about the Volt is the price. I wouldn't want an all electric car with no on the road refueling options. You can be fully electric with the Volt if you drive it like you'd drive the Leaf. The Volt is also more attractive and more powerful.
    Yep. HUGE design flaw in the Leaf.

13. ComboOrgan

ComboOrgan Senior member

yeah, it's a two step problem 1. power cars with electricity 2. switch most electrical generation to nuclear Electric cars match up beautifully with nuclear power, since nuclear provides high baseload with less variability than coal. Since electric cars do most of their "refueling" at night when there is plenty of available baseload, it's a good solution. So there is still good reason to switch to electric - it's taking the first step, and hopefully the government/utilities will follow though with the next step

14. SField

SField Senior member

Bingo! electric cars are not the solution to the short or long term problem.

I think it is going to have to come down to solar power. I've read that if we could harness the suns energy for 1 day we could power every car in the world for a year. which seems kind of crazy

That's a massive if. If we had the technology and infrastructure to be able to do that, we wouldn't be driving cars anymore. We'd have already figured out teleportation.

15. SladeDT

SladeDT Senior member

So... why not electric car + solar panels at the home? win win?