• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nissan GT-R

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's gonna be a ***** to wash and a magnet for pick-up drivers who tailgate fast-looking cars for a living.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I saw a lot of Nissan GT-Rs in Hong Kong. I didn't know it was such a coveted car.
Coveted because of it relative scarcity in the US, its legendary race history, and aftermarket upgradablity. Games like Gran Turismo and such have canonized it as one of the elite cars of the world in popular culture. There are people on the board who have driven them, and from what I can gather, don't think that they neccesarily live up to the hype, but undeniably, the car has as much status with the import track and street racing crowd as any of the european manufacturers. The Skyline R32 and R34 are the most coveted. The engine in the R32/34, the RB26DETT, is a notoriously bulletproof twin turbo engine capable of a relatively easy and cheap upgrade path that can lead to in excess of 600+ horsepower. This can be done with aftermarket bolt ons, and without sacrificing core reliability.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
R36's fastest lap at Laguna Seca 1:39.62, a couple weeks ago. ...and "consistently lapped quicker" than the Porsche 911 Turbo they have been testing it against. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...d=119632?imw=Y Check out the videos on the insideline page... looks like the R36 is sweeeet!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do I place my order?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Where do I place my order?

Seriously, if I had like an extra $69,950, I could totally buy one.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Earlier model Skylines (all right-hand drives) can be safely converted to left hand drive by a select few shops. I know of one here that was converted in the United States. I just don't know if converted vehicles are street legal there.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Earlier model Skylines (all right-hand drives) can be safely converted to left hand drive by a select few shops. I know of one here that was converted in the United States. I just don't know if converted vehicles are street legal there.

http://www.motorex.net/

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This came up in another thread, but the dude who owns Motorex is in jail for swindling his customers out of money for cars he never produced, and also doing some shady business to get them approved for US crash ratings and emissions or something.

I don't remember the story...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
This came up in another thread, but the dude who owns Motorex is in jail for swindling his customers out of money for cars he never produced, and also doing some shady business to get them approved for US crash ratings and emissions or something.

I don't remember the story...

lol8[1].gif

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
According to wikipedia:

In 1999, a California company, Motorex, sacrificed a small number of R33 GTS25s for the purpose of crash testing. They submitted their information to the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and petitioned them to allow 1990-1999 GT-Rs and GTSs to be imported, at the condition that they were modified to meet federal motor vehicle safety standards.

Many Skylines were subsequently imported through Motorex. This lasted until late 2005, when the NHTSA became informed that not all 1990 through 1999 Skyline models would perform identically in crash testing. Motorex had submitted information for only the R33, and told the NHTSA that it was sufficient for all R32, R33, and R34 models. According the further review by the NHTSA, only 1996-1998 R33 models have been demonstrated as capable of being modified to meet the federal motor vehicle safety standards. After that, only these 1996-1998 models are eligible for importation. In March of 2006, Motorex ceased all imports and Motorex principal Hiroaki "Hiro" Nanahoshi was arrested and held on $1 million bail on financial, kidnapping, and assault charges.[17][18]

Nanahoshi and Hiroki Miyake are co-defendants in case no. TA08356, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court. Both Nanahoshi and Miyake have been held to answer for charges of attempted kidnapping, assault by means likely to produce great bodily injury, assault with a stun gun, and threatening a witness. In addition, Nanahoshi is facing civil lawsuits from GT-R and would-be GT-R owners and jail time over unrelated charges not associated with Motorex. Motorex is reportedly an empty space with a lone wrecked GT-R shell on site.
From Leftlane News:
Imports of the R32 and R34 Nissan Skyline have been halted. According to the Nissan Infiniti Car Owners Club, the owner of Motorex "” the only company authorized to import Skylines "” was arrested Thursday and held on $1 million bail. Hiroaki held exclusive rights to the import of Skylines. According to NICO, the lease to the Motorex facility has not been paid for months, and has now been locked out. The U.S. Department of Transportation has rescinded importation eligibility for both the R32 and R34 Skylines, which typically sold for $50,000. Only 1996 to 1998 R33 Skylines are still eligible for import. The Leftlane Perspective: While this news is sure to disappoint countless enthusiasts across the country, at least they can rest assured that the Nissan/Infiniti GT-R is just around the corner.
Evidently there is now NO importation of R32 or R34 Skylines allowed by the US Government. Thanks dude!

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
According to wikipedia:

From Leftlane News:

Evidently there is now NO importation of R32 or R34 Skylines allowed by the US Government. Thanks dude!

I thought Nissan is bringing the next one over? If not, you can always find one of the existing ones.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen only ONE (1) LHD R34. It was owned by a kid from Dubai.
He may have had actual engineers from Nissan doing the conversion in that this vehicle was designed solely for RHD configuration.
Luckily, his old man had more dough than Allah - so he could afford that
plain.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
a magnet for pick-up drivers who tailgate fast-looking cars for a living.

People do this? I've never heard of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads