• CALLING ON HOME SEWERS TO HELP HEALTHCARE WORKERS FIGHTING COVID-19

The lack of proper masks, gowns, and eyewear equipment is making it difficult for health workers to do their work fighting the novel coronavirus. In a recent New York Times article, medical workers said they were worried about how they can both fight the coronavirus without imperiling themselves, as well as their loved ones when they go back home.

If you are a home sewer, please consider helping my joining Hickey Freman Technical Vice President Jeffery Diduch in his effort to produce and deliver homemade gowns and masks to medical professionals in the greater Rochester, New York Area. Read about how you can help here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nipples showing under interview shirt

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
So last time I had a job interview as I was putting on my suit I noticed that my (male) nipples pressed through the white suit shirt and undershirt. I simply opted to keep the coat on, but it is common to take the coat off at some time during these interviews. Now I'm about the least fashion knowledgeable person there is, but it seems to me that nipples showing through the suit is probably a no no. I don't think this shirt is particularly tight fitting, and I'm of average weight, 5'10" and 175. I've got another job interview coming up in a couple days so what can and should I do about this?

Thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so what can and should I do about this?
Why on earth would you think it is common to take off your suit jacket? Are you interviewing for a lab technician and they want you to dissect a frog? If not, keep your jacket on.

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket off is sometimes requested by the interviewer. It's just a perfectly healthy, normal thing to do.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if they are showing through because of pressure then your dress shirt is too tight, period. If they are showing because your shirt is not opaque enough, then wear a more opaque shirt or undershirt.

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
Well maybe I’ll just plan to keep the jacket on then. It’s common to sometimes take the jackets off when you’re waiting for other applicants to interview. I was hoping someone would be like “oh yeah, that’s a common problem, do this.” But I guess not.

beargonefishing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered nipple reduction surgery? That or a thicker dress shirt might be your only options.

Also, if you take a pitcher of water in with you just start a wet tshirt contest to distract from your nipples.

papado

Reaction score
Well maybe I’ll just plan to keep the jacket on then. It’s common to sometimes take the jackets off when you’re waiting for other applicants to interview. I was hoping someone would be like “oh yeah, that’s a common problem, do this.” But I guess not.
Assuming your shirt fits correctly, there's very little you can do for those of us whose nipples are more prominent. A thicker shirt fabric helps, but sometimes you have to accept the body you're given and own it.

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
Have you considered nipple reduction surgery? That or a thicker dress shirt might be your only options.

Also, if you take a pitcher of water in with you just start a wet tshirt contest to distract from your nipples.

Haha, I'm probably not going to to a surgical procedure for something that is only a small problem on the rare (and with a little luck) last occasion I go for a job interview. It doesn't otherwise bother me at all. Loose a few pounds sure, but beyond that I'm fine with how things are.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Where are you getting ^ nonsense?

Leave your jacket on. Simple.

Panama

Reaction score
Unless you are wearing batiste or voile in white? Poplin will show the shape but not be visible. Maybe consider a Royal Oxford in light blue, I doubt anything will be visible.

[email protected]

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So last time I had a job interview as I was putting on my suit I noticed that my (male) nipples pressed through the white suit shirt and undershirt. I simply opted to keep the coat on, but it is common to take the coat off at some time during these interviews. Now I'm about the least fashion knowledgeable person there is, but it seems to me that nipples showing through the suit is probably a no no. I don't think this shirt is particularly tight fitting, and I'm of average weight, 5'10" and 175. I've got another job interview coming up in a couple days so what can and should I do about this?

Thanks
Ideally in an interview, coat off, jacket on.

To combat your particular issue, I suggest you opt for a white shirt with a little texture; twill, royal oxford, with a little density to it's structure. It'll be more opaque than that of a poplin fabric, which can be less opaque in comparison.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Why on earth would you think it is common to take off your suit jacket? Are you interviewing for a lab technician and they want you to dissect a frog? If not, keep your jacket on.
@stylish Dinosaur: I've been a secret admirer of yours for some time, but I think you are not correct on this one. The world is moving fast and there are hiring managers who want to see you in a suit as well as in a shirt. They want to see whether you're not hiding sweat stains under your jacket, and they want to see the casual you. When you're applying for a job in an IT company, for instance, it is smart to show up in a suit, but taking the jacket off after a while actually shows awareness about the environment you will be working in, esp. if the company is agile or a startup. And much depends on the position too.

To the poster: Consider fixing your problem with suspenders, or wear looser shirt.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

WHICH TYPE OF SNEAKERS WORK BEST ON A FIRST DATE?

• Classic Leather Low-Top

• Canvas Plimsoll

• Leather Slip-On

• Canvas Slip-On

• Athletic Kicks

• Leather High-Top

Results are only viewable after voting.