• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nipples showing under interview shirt

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
So last time I had a job interview as I was putting on my suit I noticed that my (male) nipples pressed through the white suit shirt and undershirt. I simply opted to keep the coat on, but it is common to take the coat off at some time during these interviews. Now I'm about the least fashion knowledgeable person there is, but it seems to me that nipples showing through the suit is probably a no no. I don't think this shirt is particularly tight fitting, and I'm of average weight, 5'10" and 175. I've got another job interview coming up in a couple days so what can and should I do about this?

Thanks

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
so what can and should I do about this?

Why on earth would you think it is common to take off your suit jacket? Are you interviewing for a lab technician and they want you to dissect a frog? If not, keep your jacket on.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jacket off is sometimes requested by the interviewer. It's just a perfectly healthy, normal thing to do.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if they are showing through because of pressure then your dress shirt is too tight, period. If they are showing because your shirt is not opaque enough, then wear a more opaque shirt or undershirt.

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
Well maybe I’ll just plan to keep the jacket on then. It’s common to sometimes take the jackets off when you’re waiting for other applicants to interview. I was hoping someone would be like “oh yeah, that’s a common problem, do this.” But I guess not.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you considered nipple reduction surgery? That or a thicker dress shirt might be your only options.

Also, if you take a pitcher of water in with you just start a wet tshirt contest to distract from your nipples.

papado

Reaction score
Well maybe I’ll just plan to keep the jacket on then. It’s common to sometimes take the jackets off when you’re waiting for other applicants to interview. I was hoping someone would be like “oh yeah, that’s a common problem, do this.” But I guess not.

Assuming your shirt fits correctly, there's very little you can do for those of us whose nipples are more prominent. A thicker shirt fabric helps, but sometimes you have to accept the body you're given and own it.

InterviewGuy

Reaction score
Have you considered nipple reduction surgery? That or a thicker dress shirt might be your only options.

Also, if you take a pitcher of water in with you just start a wet tshirt contest to distract from your nipples.

Haha, I'm probably not going to to a surgical procedure for something that is only a small problem on the rare (and with a little luck) last occasion I go for a job interview. It doesn't otherwise bother me at all. Loose a few pounds sure, but beyond that I'm fine with how things are.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Where are you getting ^ nonsense?

Leave your jacket on. Simple.

Panama

Reaction score
Unless you are wearing batiste or voile in white? Poplin will show the shape but not be visible. Maybe consider a Royal Oxford in light blue, I doubt anything will be visible.

Grace@Apposta

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
So last time I had a job interview as I was putting on my suit I noticed that my (male) nipples pressed through the white suit shirt and undershirt. I simply opted to keep the coat on, but it is common to take the coat off at some time during these interviews. Now I'm about the least fashion knowledgeable person there is, but it seems to me that nipples showing through the suit is probably a no no. I don't think this shirt is particularly tight fitting, and I'm of average weight, 5'10" and 175. I've got another job interview coming up in a couple days so what can and should I do about this?

Thanks
Ideally in an interview, coat off, jacket on.

To combat your particular issue, I suggest you opt for a white shirt with a little texture; twill, royal oxford, with a little density to it's structure. It'll be more opaque than that of a poplin fabric, which can be less opaque in comparison.

Jan Capek

Reaction score
Why on earth would you think it is common to take off your suit jacket? Are you interviewing for a lab technician and they want you to dissect a frog? If not, keep your jacket on.
@stylish Dinosaur: I've been a secret admirer of yours for some time, but I think you are not correct on this one. The world is moving fast and there are hiring managers who want to see you in a suit as well as in a shirt. They want to see whether you're not hiding sweat stains under your jacket, and they want to see the casual you. When you're applying for a job in an IT company, for instance, it is smart to show up in a suit, but taking the jacket off after a while actually shows awareness about the environment you will be working in, esp. if the company is agile or a startup. And much depends on the position too.

To the poster: Consider fixing your problem with suspenders, or wear looser shirt.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@stylish Dinosaur: I've been a secret admirer of yours for some time, but I think you are not correct on this one. The world is moving fast and there are hiring managers who want to see you in a suit as well as in a shirt. They want to see whether you're not hiding sweat stains under your jacket, and they want to see the casual you. When you're applying for a job in an IT company, for instance, it is smart to show up in a suit, but taking the jacket off after a while actually shows awareness about the environment you will be working in, esp. if the company is agile or a startup. And much depends on the position too.

To the poster: Consider fixing your problem with suspenders, or wear looser shirt.

I understand that in certain situations/sectors, which the OP didn't specify, removing your jacket may be ok.

The OP is talking about removing his jacket while WAITING for others to interview. I can see no reason to do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads