• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nintendo DS "homebrew" etc.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I just got a DS lite and want to get a "homebrew" solution for it. I was about to order this but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone who is really into this stuff can tell me a better product I should get instead. Price is not much of an issue - I want the most possible functionality. I intend to do some crazy stuff with the DS and need something that will let me do anything I want.

Thoughts?

I also intended to get that 3-in-1 thing that goes in Slot 2 for GBA homebrew ROMs and the rumble feature etc. Thoughts on that?

TIA.

Septavius

Reaction score
I asked my friend this, since he's a game programmer and has one. He said:

"There are cheap ones and there are good ones.... the cheap ones are fine if all you want to do is play games... if you plan to program I do not recommend them... In which case the good cheap ones to get are the new R4SDHC or the M3DS Real.

The "GOOD" ones are the CycloDS (ihave) or the EDGE. The good ones also are nice for other than programming because they are original hardware and software. The m3 and r4 are basically clones of the first original slot 1. and their firmware that is written for it is also copies.,... no real decryption... so newer games sometime require patches to use. the cycloDS is great... "

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the input. Looks like the Cyclo will be the one. The server for the place I was about to order from just went down for the day, so I will look around or wait.

Any other info is appreciated.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add me to the list of interested people. I want to play Mother 3 the way it was meant to be played.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by breakz
Add me to the list of interested people. I want to play Mother 3 the way it was meant to be played.

You could just check the website where you actually have to download the translation patch, they have a full guide for how to play it on a flash cart.

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
You could just check the website where you actually have to download the translation patch, they have a full guide for how to play it on a flash cart.
Cool, thanks.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Damn J, you're a busy guy lately. Keyboard, cigarette box, DS, etc.
You have no idea. Lately I keep relating stories like this... "I was over at ____ the other day and ... wait, what day is it? Wow, that was this morning." It's not that I'm losing my mind (nt entirely anyway) but that so much is going on that my mind can't seem to understand that not much time has passed.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I ordered the CycloDS and the EZV 3-in-1 thing. I'll report back when I get them. There seems to be a lot of cool stuff you can do with the DS. I look forward to hooking up some of the wireless DS-MIDI stuff where you can use the DS as a MIDI controller that sends info via Wifi to your computer. There's also a DS-serial interface I might get that would be good for doing all kinds of weird stuff with it. It has a tilt sensor that I'm surprised wasn't built into the DS to begin with, would allow you to play games like the iPhone can. I was reading that there is a new DS coming out next year sometime that will have a lot more features though. more info http://dsmidiwifi.tobw.net/ http://natrium42.com/wiki/Main_Page http://osdl.sourceforge.net/main/doc...brewForDS.html

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I got my order today - pretty fast shipping. They actually sent it out that evening. Everything is awesomeness. I have to leave right now but I'll report back later. BTW the Korg DS-10 is awwweeesssoommmmeeee... I hear.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Holy crap, Lego Batman is fun. It's fun like Double Dragon was fun, just updated and with awesome graphics.

Imagine Fashion Model or whatever it's called, however, is stupid. Don't bother. Although maybe I just didn't play to the "naked cocaine pillowfight" secret level yet.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Imagine Fashion Model or whatever it's called, however, is stupid. Don't bother. Although maybe I just didn't play to the "naked cocaine pillowfight" secret level yet.

I cant believe you even playeed this game to realize this.

Im interested in one of these gizmos. How easy for it is a begginer to learn? All the downloading and whatnot. I just want to play the games, dont really care about the hacking capabilities.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's not that hard and there's tons of info on forums all over the place about how to do it. Basically you plug the Cyclo in to Slot 1 and put the microSD in the reader in a USB slot of your computer, then transfer the NDS ROMs you get onto the SD, put the SD back in the Cyclo, start it up and you're going. There's more complex stuff you can do like the SNES emulator and GBA games, but none of it is really that complicated.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
J, I would recommend buying not only the largest MicroSD you can find, but also buy one 512mb microsd that's as fast as you can find. Some programs/games have latency issues with bigger cards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads