• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sarteaga

Reaction score
Serious question but did Kobe shoes not sell well because people didn't like them, he retired, or because Nike didn't push/market them enough?

Things always sell well after the person dies. The Kobe's weren't like Jordans where people loved them for years and they became iconic. I can't think of any other retired player whose shoe sells well besides Jordan. Iverson, Barkley, Penny, etc.

I wasn't a fan of Kobe so never really got into them and Nike shoes suck for outdoor ball so I was looking at and buying other brands for the infrequent times I played.

I'll chime in. I have collected Kobe's since his Adidas days. Followed him to Nike. In short, Adidas did exponentially more marketing for the Kobe line in the 2 models they released with him than Nike did; ever. Granted his models with Adidas were ugly as sin but at least they promoted the hell out of him. I never understood why Nike didn't push him and the line. His shoes were innovative; first basketball shoe with Nike Free (Kobe 2), Lightweight (3-11), low top (4-8), flywire, etc. You can't expect a product to move when you don't promote it. At least no promoting here in the states. They were promoting the hell out of him in Asia and the stuff would sell. Immediately. Nike wanted the line to sizzle out in my opinion. Push the new tech on his shoes because he wanted that but stop there.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sarteaga remember the **** allegations? They probably had a contract they couldn't get out of but wanted to distance a bit from him. I always remembered that crap about him, people have short memories sadly.

Oh man I totally forgot about that. It makes sense, Nike ended their contract with Tiger after the cheating scandal and his wife attacking him with golf clubs.

After first reports of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe came out saying that he was with another woman that wasn't his wife my friends and I were wondering if it was a mistress.

Pums

Reaction score
Nike can probably release the kobe but just change the name

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kobe mainly had a west coast following and mostly skewed younger. The problem with that is that his younger fanbase is kinda fickle and will move on to the next west coast star IMO. I'm thinking D. Lilliard or the eyebrow guy (when he breaks out).

So, I'm thinking that any new shoe company won't mean that the new Kobes will be sell outs. Even Lebrons, who is now getting that w. coast exposure don't sell out during release day.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
oh yeah, forgot about the rapes and the "just change your jersey number and hit that jumper, you'll be good".

BigRed

Reaction score
It’s been a minute since I’ve rocked these...
005D451D-9F35-4ACB-A30E-43F3FA7957ED.jpeg

sarteaga

Reaction score
Oh man I totally forgot about that. It makes sense, Nike ended their contract with Tiger after the cheating scandal and his wife attacking him with golf clubs.

After first reports of the helicopter crash that killed Kobe came out saying that he was with another woman that wasn't his wife my friends and I were wondering if it was a mistress.

My rebuttal to that is Nike then made him the face of the Hyperdunk and on a global stage not just the US. So yes, those allegations didn't help at all. However, the Hyperdunk advertising with him on a global stage demonstrated his ability to sell. The HD was the best selling basketball shoe at the time.

kevenmee

Reaction score
My rebuttal to that is Nike then made him the face of the Hyperdunk and on a global stage not just the US. So yes, those allegations didn't help at all. However, the Hyperdunk advertising with him on a global stage demonstrated his ability to sell. The HD was the best selling basketball shoe at the time.

The OG hyperlinks were also the best basketball shoes that I’ve ever had. Nothing else I’ve tried competes (Jordan’s, newer Hyperdunks, Lebrons, etc).

Anybody have any recommendations for fairly light high tops for basketball?

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ott of nikes kobe wore before he got his own shoe, the huarache 2k4 and 2k5 were great

sarteaga

Reaction score
ott of nikes kobe wore before he got his own shoe, the huarache 2k4 and 2k5 were great

Fun fact the Huarache 2K4 and 2k5 were originally supposed to be the Kobe 1 and Kobe 2. And then CO happened. Kobe actually sketched out the silohuette of the 2k4 and presented it to Eric Avar who then turned into the masterpiece they became.

Akeem

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't a huge Kobe fan, but I played a lot ball in his shoes. I grew up loving all the Jordans, but all the retro's sucked in comfort and performance use.

I went through many pairs of of Kobe 1, 4, 5, 6. They were some of the performance sneakers ever made. Nobody was buying Kobe's for casual and streetwear before his death. I was hoping to stock up on some 6s for the gym, but I guess that's never happening.

UNIFORMLA

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to drop in and give you a heads up on a giveaway we have going on on our Instagram.

We're giving away a pair of White Nylon Nike X Sacai LD Waffles and a pair of Concord Sweatpants. Full details on how to enter are in our post (linked below). If you have any questions, please let me know. Thank you so much!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads