1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

NIKE Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Aug 18, 2012.

1. jet

jet Well-Known Member

2. Spencer

Spencer Well-Known Member

Dude, remind me what gym you go to? Sounds like some scuzz valley 24 hour fitness or something.

Step your game up to Equinox son!

1 person likes this.
  3. Isachenko

Isachenko Well-Known Member

What are these?

4. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

:lol doesn't work here! :lol

The 'shoe game' as the kids call it now has transformed so much, man. The Concords, Space Jams, Black/reds...I refuse to call them 'bred' all sold out, but you can still get them online for days. We had to show up early and line up 10-15 mins before the stores open. That was 'lining up' back then.

It took weeks to sell out completely at the then unknown spots like WSS though.

Sad too because I used to be such a big fan of his. I was a freshman when he came out so I was with with whole Polo movement he had. His mixtapes were fire too.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  5. red81

red81 Well-Known Member

these stories remind me of why i cancelled my gym membership 6 years ago and have started lifting at home.

kanye's just a stupid anus at this point; he's like the sloppy drunk chick at a party knocking people's shit over and telling everyone to go fuck themselves.

anyways, does anyone know where i can get the "vintage" version of air maestro's, the one without the air pocket?

6. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Back then though, around 2001, the internet wasn't what it is today. Spots were discovered via word of mouth only and the internet was still rather young and all you really had back then was Eastbay/Footlocker/Footaction? Ebay? Niketalk started in what, 2001? And that was mainly due to the fast growing popularity of Retro Jordans and then limited SBs. To be honest, I'd give NT and the og members more credit to the popularity of retroes than Kanye has back then.

These days (or even 8-10 years ago) everything started popping up on the internet, forums blown up the spots that you would never even know was a mom and pop shop that sold Jordans/SBs in your neighborhood, pre-orders from webstores and re-sellers who got their connections on lock, Eastbay crashing on midnight release, shoes selling for 10x retail on ebay, etc...

Kanye and DonC aren't the ones that got Retro Jordans popular, College Dropout came out in 2004? By about 2003, people were already camping out for some the limited and hyperstrike shoes. His mixtapes was underground and you can pretty much just hear it through bootleg copies via Kazaa or something before College Dropout. Back then, I doubt people went nuts for Jordans because an unknown producer (he was just that back then) were rocking some Jordans with polos & LV backpack. He just gives too much credit to himself.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Nike SB Lunar One Shot

8. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Well-Known Member

Brolic homie doing muscle ups at 24 hrs in those limited fkyknits, I see you.

9. deejaysoy

deejaysoy Well-Known Member

Nicely said RFX45. The shoe game always had a buzz way before the College Drop Out...I loved Niketalk! Built on a strong community of shoe enthusiasts. They had a lot of good years with Ben Baller leading the charge.

Glad to see this thread though. It's like the "Graduation" from Nike Talk.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  10. Isachenko

Looks real nice, I'll be buying it if they offer it in dark grey or obsidian.

11. Isachenko

I can't hang with the black background on niketalk.

12. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

why let baller shoe thread have all the fun. just did a shoe inventory between me and my oldest:

fighter jet foams
    stealth foams
    varsity blue foams
    thermal foams
    breds
    jordan 11 gamma blue
    safari foams
    jordan 4 toro
    og jordan 2
    jordan 21
    flyknit trainer
    flyknit racer
    black rosherun
    doernbecher 5
    doernbecher 3
    doernbecher 10
    foam galaxy
    kd 3
    kd 4
    kd 5 meteorite
    kd 5 pb& j
    jordan columbias
    jordan breds
    lebron 11 gamma
    lebron 10 mvp
    lebron 10 blue
    lebron 10 platinum

I should probably stop buying us both sneakers

3 people like this.
  13. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

How many pairs are yours?

14. thekunk07

the stealth, the rosherun and the flyknit lunar. rest are his

15. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

:lol:

So you really meant you need to stop buying him sneakers.

Looks like most of those are for playing ball though.

1 person likes this.
  16. thekunk07

i guess, but sad thing is aau provides sneakers for him and we still buy them.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Who sponsors the team?

In the long run, might be better to have good shoes than the generic, crappy ones they provide for the team?

18. thekunk07

^ i appreciate the justification but they get hyperdunks which are probably the best bball shoe

19. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

Oh ok. Yah the hyperdunks are pretty damn good.

20. wj4

wj4 Well-Known Member

Whoa, dude. Did you pay retail for some of the highly sought after shoes like the 'bron MVPs, Galaxy Foams and Doernbecher Jordans? I hope you didn't pay aftermarket prices :( Too much $$$

How's your kid by the way? Is he serious about going onto playing at a pro level?

Things are just going to get worse and confusing when they start retroing Lebrons and Kobes. I believe the Kobe I will be retroed in 2014.

I agree with you. I was just adding to your Concord 11 comment.

As a vet, you should know NT was founded in 99! It's in the slogan, lol.

Yeah, I got my first job in high school just to buy sneakers every few months. Back then...the new Js were $150 and retros were $130. I had enough time on Saturday to work my 8AM to 12PM shift, cash my check at the local liquor store, and take the bus to cop the Jordans....like you mentioned, surely not in today's time.

I never imagined things would be this out of control...how Nikes would go for thousands that caused a secondary lucrative market in writing scripts/bots. When I got out of the culture in the mid 2000s, I thought that was the highlight with the SB Dunks. Back then, some of my friends used their FAFSA checks from college to cop Supreme dunks. Now I read dudes are selling their rims to buy stuff like Galaxy Foams, lol.