• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Man I used to love ivs but they just look comical to me now that I'm older. So much better with nike air on the back though.

I'm sure they will get the Nike Air just like the 3s did earlier this year and get a nice mark up too. I was too young to appreciate the OG 4s when they dropped, let alone be in the country, haha.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
IV's still awesome. I need to grab the white/cements still...that was my shoe back in middle school - I practically lived in those things

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I remember when white ivs were retro'ed in like 02 was it? Don't remember but I copped them for 100, wore them out about ten times then soldem on ebay for 160 before the auction ended. Probably could have gotten 220ish for them but whatevs. Way too bulky for me, nostalgia was cool but I'd feel ridiculous wearing them today like all these clowns at my gym.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember when white ivs were retro'ed in like 02 was it? Don't remember but I copped them for 100, wore them out about ten times then soldem on ebay for 160 before the auction ended. Probably could have gotten 220ish for them but whatevs. Way too bulky for me, nostalgia was cool but I'd feel ridiculous wearing them today like all these clowns at my gym.

The 4s were retrod quite a few times. No one really bought retros back in the early 2000s though, only the sneaker dudes were. Most sat and made it to deep discount.

Sneakers are def bulky.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Well I had to get up early and go to the mall where they sold out so they definitely didn't sit around, ivs at least.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I had to get up early and go to the mall where they sold out so they definitely didn't sit around, ivs at least.

Dang. I remember the local stores had them for a long time.

I need to get out of this thread. Kinda feeling like going to NTLA tomorrow to check out the fly knits and such now. :$

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Is it even possible for a normal person to buy one of the retros or other desirable shoes at Nike.com now? If, say, you logged on right at the exact time and went straight to checkout? Or is it some bullshit like the "good" days of Gilt where stuff was already sold out at 12:00:00?

I've had ok success copping when I wanted to, but only at the retail stores

Last edited:

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's tough. I've had luck on eastbay or finishline. I got my latest pair Jordan 1s by luck waking up at 6am to take leak and checking twitter seeing a store had thrown everyone a curve ball and released them at 6am instead of their usual 7am. They were sold out by 6:10am

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a release this morning, apparently a limited edition AJ3 model where the proceeds benefit a children's hospital. I didn't go for it but the design looked kinda cool and the materials appeared to be a step up from the normal retros, so I decided to see what the resale market looked like - they were being gobbled up on eBay at 650-700 BIN's :eek:

Too bad none of that aftermarket markup actually goes to the hospital...

RXS09

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dang. I remember the local stores had them for a long time.

I need to get out of this thread. Kinda feeling like going to NTLA tomorrow to check out the fly knits and such now. :$
You should get some Flyknit Trainers or Racers Wis, I think you'd love them!

Golf54

Reaction score
I used to love the IIIs ivs Vs and XIs the most but I've grown an appreciation for the Is since getting older. They're just a timeless shoe and not "bulky" like majority of the aforementioned shoes

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your heart is set on releases, I've noticed random pairs pop up on the retailers anywhere from days to weeks to months after release. Likely store returns. I know finishline stock online comes from various stores so its a long shot but always a possibility. Just save the item numbers and type them in the search every once in a while.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If your heart is set on releases, I've noticed random pairs pop up on the retailers anywhere from days to weeks to months after release. Likely store returns. I know finishline stock online comes from various stores so its a long shot but always a possibility. Just save the item numbers and type them in the search every once in a while.

It's a crab-shoot. Sometimes a pair gets return and is put online. There is ONE pair for everyone to get. I got lucky with this on the Grape 5s last week. Randomly checked Footaction.com and saw them. I see these things all the time and when you try to add to cart, it says item out of stock, which means someone else already bought them. However, I was able to add to cart successfully. I called my boy up and asked if he still wanted a pair since he missed out the first time around. The dude said yes, so I tendered the transaction and got the shoes 3 days ago in the mail.

You should get some Flyknit Trainers or Racers Wis, I think you'd love them!

I'll check them out tomorrow. I still have the black Free 5.0 that I got to go hiking with the ex-gf because she wanted matching sneakers, haha.

There was a release this morning, apparently a limited edition AJ3 model where the proceeds benefit a children's hospital. I didn't go for it but the design looked kinda cool and the materials appeared to be a step up from the normal retros, so I decided to see what the resale market looked like - they were being gobbled up on eBay at 650-700 BIN's :eek:

Too bad none of that aftermarket markup actually goes to the hospital...

This was the DB 3s I mentioned. It's a relaunch, the original model came out in 2010. This, as well as those Lebron Xs were limited edition, which means the shoes can be ugly as sin...they will sell out ASAP. I think it took less than 5 mins before Nike said they were out of the DB 3s. If you tried to score a pair manually, AKA playing fair and not cheating, you had no chance. Kids were prepping up for this one...upgraded internet to fiber optic or faster services and manually slow down the speed and ping a bit so Nike wouldn't suspect anything and potentially cancel orders. Bots for these were being sold for $150+, haha. The funny part is that 95% of those who bought won't even wear them. There were multiple dudes who were able to cop 5+ pairs each.

Is it even possible for a normal person to buy one of the retros or other desirable shoes at Nike.com now? If, say, you logged on right at the exact time and went straight to checkout? Or is it some bullshit like the "good" days of Gilt where stuff was already sold out at 12:00:00?

I've had ok success copping when I wanted to, but only at the retail stores

It depends on what you want to buy, I was able to get all of the General Releases I want (knock on wood). But even some still sell really well...like those black/red 11s. They made well over 500k pairs, had like 5+ restocks and sold out quick each time. The Black Grapes....I had no luck and I was on it from the jump.

Your key words are "normal person". The sneakerheads are willing to camp out for days, sit in front of a computer all day Thursday and hit refresh waiting for the Nike tweet so they can hopefully RSVP their pair....sane people don't do this! A lot of these dudes are super anti social. I've seen them when I go to the local shoe stores to collect raffle tickets. They walk with the head pointed down and use minimum words when talking.

It's tough. I've had luck on eastbay or finishline. I got my latest pair Jordan 1s by luck waking up at 6am to take leak and checking twitter seeing a store had thrown everyone a curve ball and released them at 6am instead of their usual 7am. They were sold out by 6:10am

Which 1s were these? If you're talking about the Shadow 1s that came out last week, they were launched at the stated time of 8AM EST.

Eastbay, which is the same company as Footlocker, Footaction and Champs are a pain. I never had any luck there, but I know people who wake up an hour later and buy with ease...it depends on your luck. They can only process X orders per minutes and you have 10s of 1,000s of kids around the nation trying to buy...you just gotta keep trying until they officially state they're out of your size.

It's only getting worse. I couldn't believe it when they had a raffle for the Reebok Shaqnosis! The workers said it was necessary. Lots of kids were walking in with Instagram pics and said I want the kicks, haha.

Last edited:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Trainers

Racers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads