1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NIKE Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by RFX45, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Golf54

Golf54 Senior member

Damn thanks for that wj4. and as I said before, your streetwear x menswear game is on point.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  2. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

me too ... havent had jordans since high school for bball lol. but i grabbed gtown colorway :embar:

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Haha, no worries, man. I guess it plays into the Hip Hop culture of staying fresh and have something rare too because it boggles my mind that kids are willing to pay $1000 for some Nikes because they're limited. That's like paying mark up on a special edition Toyota Corolla.

I'm not sure when the hype started because in high school and college all Jordans made it to a sale or some sort. Now you're trying to get a chance to pay retail...craziness.

4. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Ha.

We probably the same age. I had the same experience and theory on nikes these days.

5. wj4

wj4 Senior member

I'm 27. I got into shoes in elementary school when I saw MJ balled in the 11. Mom couldn't afford $120 sneakers for me back then so I had the Big 5 Nikes. That was the golden era IMO, all sorts of wild and bulky design. When I walked into a sneaker store it was like a kid into a candy store. I got out during the mid to late 2000s after college and unloaded my collection. Now I just buy for laughs and kicks (no pun intended).

6. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

I think right now is the golden age. We still get all the old releases and Nike has been on a tear in terms of innovation (Flyknits for example). We didn't have that 15 years ago.

7. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Quality is piss poor though, even for Nike at outrageous prices. Cardboard under the insole of the latest retro Jordans and Foamposites without full length zoom because it's a "sportswear" model though the price is the same? Lame.

Nike is really killing it in terms of the new materials like fly wire and such though. I read that it costs very little to produce and requires not so much labor time as well so profit margin is sky high.

You can't even get a nice retro model just by walking in the store anymore. This is why I refer to that time as the "golden era". You can walk in and get whatever shoes you want. No one lined up or wake up on release date at 5AM to buy kicks. And there were a lot of dope kicks out, ie the Barkleys, Garnets, the first Jumpmans that players like Eddie Jones wore, the Jason Kidd with the bug eyes, the Pippens, and even beyond Nike, Reebok was crushing it with Shaq and Shawn Kemp's shoes and eventually Iverson's line.

Half the colorways that come out now would've been called variants back in the early 2000s hands down. Nike is the king of marketing and they know the new kids are their primary target, the hype beasts. They drop some limited stuff and attach a story to it and kids eat it up. Oh besides playing in the NBA, Durant wanted to be a weatherman so we'll make a weatherman edition of his shoes or let's make the CAVS version of the 4s since Jordan wore that model when he made the clutch shot even though he never played for the CAVS.

It used to be fun tracking down your childhood favorite shoes and cop the OG version of whatever, but now eveything is due for a retro sooner or later. Prices keep rising and quality keeps declining. Sooner or later retro Js are gonna hit $200 per pair which is pretty expensive considering they were only $125 a decade ago.

1 person likes this.
  8. wj4

wj4 Senior member

Aside from the Frees, what does everyone else use to run or train in? I kept hearing good things about the Frees so I bought a pair months ago. They're comfy shoes to walk and run lightly in, but the shoes suck when you full out sprint at more than 10 mph. I have gone back to ugly looking Asics for that matter and use the Frees for leisure jogging. Aside from having to double tie the laces since they come loose quite easily, they're alright for that task.

9. Golf54

Golf54 Senior member

I agree with you regarding the marketing and the golden era. (I'm 24) I don't mond the hype surrounding "shoe game", I just wish getting hands on a pair of Jordan's in my favorite OG colorways didn't cost as much as MMMs or Anna Ds. But I guess the two go hand in hand.

I'm not a big time runner but I've been running in the flyknit lunar ones and love them a lot.

10. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

I went from Nike, to Brooks, to Saucs and eventually landed in Newtons. They're the only shoe where I've basically been injury free in.

11. Severisth

Severisth Senior member

I love my Nike Pegasus, they are probably my favorite running shoe I've ever owned.

12. hoodyear

hoodyear Senior member

I too have to stick to my ugly ass Asics for any serious running. Why Nike hasn't put out a shoe with ANY sort of motion control, I don't understand.

13. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

Lunarglide 4

14. jet

jet Senior member

I sprint all the time in frees I don't understand the complaint, you see what racing shoes look like?

Anyways agree that the golden age was 80s-90s, so many good shoes out back then and they felt substantial without the stupid hype and rainbow bright hybrid garbage editions etc. Flight 89s were some of my faves.

15. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial Dubiously Honored Moderator

I have been wearing the hell out of my frees and flyknits (OG? Orange - I really don't like the way the ankle padding on all the new ones looks) this summer. The flyknits have become a go-to travel shoe. Super lightweight, they look pretty cool when they're laced loosely, they're comfy for walking, I can hike in them, and I've been wearing them to do insanity. I don't wear them for actual running, though, as I know I've mentioned before.

Frees have seen a lot of wear as well, but I can't really run in them, let alone sprint. I tried doing suicides in them once - changing directions makes it feel like I'm ice skating on spoons. I wear them a lot around town, though. Based on how much I've enjoyed these two pairs (first nike trainers ever), I am definitely buying a pair of the Freeknits, but will wait for sales for sure.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  16. bawlin

bawlin Senior member

Flyknit Lunars for jogging/training; Flyknit Racers for sprinting.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

For all around training/running, if Frees work well, I'd suggest trying a trainer shoe. It'll likely work better for sprinting too since it'll have more grip/traction. Really can't say enough good things about the Free Trainer 3.0 I posted a page or so back, I use it for plyo & HIIT and could go 3-4 mile run w/o a problem, it is just that versatile. Upper is more stable for quick cuts and stops too. It is also low enough for squats and deadlifts with the 3.0 sole, at least for me it is perfectly fine. 3.0 also provides that barefoot feel the Free Runs provide.

18. dmash

dmash Senior member

Free Trainer 3.0 is ALL I wear to work and to gym now. I seriously love them. I'll switch between those and Flyknit Racers for sprinting, depending on the distance.

19. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

do you mind explaining why you use lunars for jogging and training and racers for sprinting? i would love your opinion as you could give the pros and cons of both shoes.

i was thinking of getting a pair of flyknit lunars for running and HIIT. my running usually consists of running 3 to 4 miles nothing crazy.

thanks in advance!

20. wj4

wj4 Senior member

They feel wobbly lateral wise at high speeds, something I don't experience with "ugly" running shoes. It gets annoying especially when I do HIIT and try to switch from around 7 mph to 11 mph quickly.

Dang, some of you guys got a lot of shoes just for working out!