• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the bum pockets (poor model fit aside), but I don't know that they're enough to tempt me to buy a fourth Mallory.

crispyloops

Reaction score
Does anyone have their recent dungarees? I just found out about this brand and wanted to see how the quality it is. I've been wanting to get some overalls and there stuff looks good. Also sizing, I'm a waist 30...so go with size 46? I like a loose fit, but not crazy over flow!

Werder

Reaction score
I have a 6 years old Mallory jacket in Harris Tweed. The Harris Tweed jacket ages beautifully, but the ventile parts of the jacket (Shoulders and elbows) doesn't look good after years using the jacket a lot.

Does anyone have any experiences when it comes to reproofing ventile? The ventile parts doesn't holde the rain out and looks quite worn out.

Psyko

Reaction score
Sorry - I don't know how to reproof ventile.

On the topic of the Mallory jacket: do any of you owners know if the canvas is fused or stitched? And is it half canvas or full canvas?

Skanstull

Reaction score
I have a 6 years old Mallory jacket in Harris Tweed. The Harris Tweed jacket ages beautifully, but the ventile parts of the jacket (Shoulders and elbows) doesn't look good after years using the jacket a lot.

Does anyone have any experiences when it comes to reproofing ventile? The ventile parts doesn't holde the rain out and looks quite worn out.
Would be interesting to see a picture!

jacksonn

Reaction score
What on earth has happened to Cabourn's product photography? It used to be excellent; but now, the clothes often look ill fitting and the models - without wishing to be mean - are somehow rather odd for the brand. How strange that the presentation of these collections is presumably deemed fine.

On a wider point I think the label's halcyon period - beginning with the resurgence that began around 2002 - is over. The reworkings of the classics look stranger with every iteration, and the new ideas are largely, with a few exceptions, poor. I also hear from a reliable source that branded sportswear is to play a greater part in future collections. I'm not convinced by the dungarees I'm afraid.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What on earth has happened to Cabourn's product photography? It used to be excellent; but now, the clothes often look ill fitting and the models - without wishing to be mean - are somehow rather odd for the brand. How strange that the presentation of these collections is presumably deemed fine.

On a wider point I think the label's halcyon period - beginning with the resurgence that began around 2002 - is over. The reworkings of the classics look stranger with every iteration, and the new ideas are largely, with a few exceptions, poor. I also hear from a reliable source that branded sportswear is to play a greater part in future collections. I'm not convinced by the dungarees I'm afraid.

I think the clothes look ill-fitting because of a lot of the pant cuts. They're way to full of a leg for my tastes, but regardless of that the whole look becomes too boxy. For me the models are so-so. Quick browse of the site and one model seems alright while the other seems a bit odd. The photography of the product looks fine to me though. I think you get a good idea of what you're buying. The real problem here is the product itself. Far be it from me to say since I'm not a designer and I think he should design what he likes, but the whole aesthetic doesn't work for me. I look at how each piece might fit into my wardrobe on it's own rather than go for the whole look. Besides, I could never fully embrace it as it was going to be too "costumy" for my taste and my age.

The brand's best days are indeed behind it and I rest assured having what I do in my closet despite knowing that I bought too much of it during that period. I take care of my things and so it's all in great shape and I do still rotate through it. The current collections offer very little by way of cohesion and depth of desirable product offering. Still I think this AW season surprisingly had a few winners. Size availability and price don't seem to be in my favor so I'll probably miss out, but a few clear worthwhile pieces. The problem is the rest of it shouldn't have seen the light of day.

I would say one's best bet is to buy from eBay and the like. There are still quality pieces to be had out there. The problem is prices are through the roof which is interesting considering some of the lowball offers I've received on eBay (only to later sell at sensible offers which are still much lower than what the other sellers are asking). Still I was able to grab the Lavenham Mallory for my father for Christmas for a song.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder for what price I could sell my copy of The Ascent if Cabourn in a sealed envelope signed by NC in 2002.

ike_hiking_boots

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
_104980557_louruddpa.jpg

Army captain is first Briton to cross Antarctica solo wearing Cabourn Authentic.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-46709412

conak

Reaction score

I have an all-ventile rain jacket that I’ve had good success reproofing with a product called Grangers (British-made, I believe), but it’s applied by washing the garment in it like a detergent, so I’m not sure how the wool will respond to it. It will restore the repelancy, making the water bead before soaking. But I doubt it’ll do much for appearance. It seems the same qualities that make ventile resistant to rain make it poor at retaining dyes.

Psyko

Reaction score
I, for one, love the full cut of the pants, including the high rise. I also like the boxy cut of many of the products. Might be because I'm tall and lean.

That being said, I echo the sentiment that the brand was more interesting some years ago, with more experimental stuff.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I, for one, love the full cut of the pants, including the high rise. I also like the boxy cut of many of the products. Might be because I'm tall and lean.

+1

I think the fuller pants look great.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cabourn bringing back that rare vintage-style deep pile

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads