Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. hw6152

hw6152 New Member

Very much interested in buying a skyliner and/or geddes in 54. If anyone would like to part with one please contact me.

2. nixda

nixda Senior member

New stock at Cultizm and more drops on old stock.

3. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

interview with nigel cabourn by helmstyle

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

i thought the original the cameraman is based on used two fabrics?

5. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

How can a design based on a heritage design be ripped off by another design based on the same heritage design?

I know you want to protect the good clothiers out there, but the idea of authenticity in "rip-off" isn't that flexible. "Riff on" is closer.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have never bought anything thinking what I could wear with it

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012

7. nixda

nixda Senior member

From what he's said in an interview, the jacket is based on two different jackets. Top half is of one and the bottom half of another. I believe it was a Naval jacket and a hunting one. Not sure, I'd have to find the interview again. Anyway, since he combined two jackets into one and now we're seeing almost exact copies, I wanted to know if this type of design existed before he made it.

I'm not trying to protect anyone. Personally it doesn't take anything away from my jacket, I'm merely interested.

8. nixda

nixda Senior member

I found this on esquire but it's the same interview I had read/heard on the Cameraman Jacket:

"“The reason I love this piece so much is because it comes from real vintage pieces. I have a vintage collection of over 4000 pieces, because I love real things. This jacket is a combination of 2 vintage pieces I have. The top is from a British army naval jacket, which is waterproof and has big metal clips, which were designed to open with ease if you had gloves on your hands. The bottom comes from an old British Hunting/Fishing jacket with big functioning pockets. I actually photographed the two, cut them in half and stuck them together. That’s how I got the Cameraman Jacket.” -- NC

9. cephalopod

cephalopod Member

Saw that one on a blog somewhere and haven't been able to track it down since!
    Any ideas mate?

10. zissou

zissou Senior member

The Cabourn site says it was based on a jacket worn by Wilfrid Noyce on Everest. For what I understand, he was the cameraman (hence the jacket name) on Hillary's successful Everest expedition. Regardless of its origin, though, if Cabourn starts making it and several copies appear shortly thereafter, the other labels are at least being very uncreative in their designs.

Edit: Funny reading the quote above. Cabourn site actually says, "Inspired by...", which is not so concrete.

11. nixda

nixda Senior member

Go to The Army Gym. I think they tweeted it.

12. nixda

nixda Senior member

Yeah, I understand that part of the history behind the jacket, but I've never seen the actual jacket (photos) that it was based on and was wondering if this type of jacket had ever appeared before in history. Anyway, I think the bit about the two different jackets, cutting the photos and making one out of them is very interesting.

13. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've tried looking for photos of Noyce and not seen him wearing anything that truly resembles the cameraman. Some of the photos could show a macintosh coat similar to the top half, but with buttons rather than clips - I think they've been taken from the naval clip jackets.

Does anyone know whether Cabourn's or Heritage Research's naval clip jacket was released first? Both are very close copies of the original.

14. nixda

nixda Senior member

Yes, the clips were definitely taken from the Naval Jacket according to Cabourn (same interview...wish I could find it).

Edit: Correction. It was a British 'Army' jacket that he took the clips from (ref: )

15. nixda

nixda Senior member