Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

So I finally got the same Mallory in a size 52 in today, and I must say, the fit is a lot trimmer, looks better, and isn't at all as constricting as I thought it would be. If I were to put this in water, though, I'm sure it would be too tight, so I figure dry cleaning it is my only option. Does anyone think i would be better off dry cleaning and keeping the 52, or washing with water and taking a risk on the 54?

2. zissou

zissou Senior member

I'd be much, much more inclined to keep the one that fits well now, rather than risking washing one that's too big, and hoping it will fit.

3. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

I was thinking the same..heck the size 52 vest that I ordered with it fit me spot on...but it probably helped that, being a vest, it wasnt going to constrict me in the shoulder/upper back area.. which is a big problem with me and clothes thanks to my gym habit. I guess I can rest assured that dry cleaning wont cause any adverse fit effects

4. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

Dry-cleaning will be fine with tweed.

5. xiaogwuay

xiaogwuay Senior member

Does anyone have fit pictures of the Bigger Heavier Nigel Jackets? Including Bauer Skyliners, the Short Puffa or the Geddes parkas? If so PLEASE POST!!! Its still kinda cold and I don't like the ones from the next season so I'm considering purchasing one of those named jackets. So Please feel free to share! Thanks Guys!!!

6. FondDeJante

FondDeJante Active Member

Is it just me or is some of Cabourn's stuff more or less unwearable? I mean I get what he's trying to do, and maybe it's just the pieces that I've picked, but although I love the construction quality and the look of my sateen work jacket (looks like a WW2 RAF battledress tunic) and Naval Officer's jacket (a cotton 8 x 2 double breasted blazer) they rarely leave my wardrobe.

Maybe I just need a bit of help, so if anyone is making these (or other similar heritage pieces) work, I'd really like to hear how or to see fit pics.

7. Philip

Philip Senior member

I don't know how you can buy something without thinking what you could wear with it first...

8. London

London Senior member

unwearable? wtf are you talking about. I've worn my king george jacket at least a few days a week since the fall

9. FondDeJante

FondDeJante Active Member

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has bought a piece of clothing (anything - not just by NC) because they admire what the designer is trying to do, and want something that looks a bit different and unusual, only to find that it's very difficult to make it part of an everyday outfit?

I'm genuinely interested in whether other people think. This is the Naval Officer's jacket BTW:

[​IMG]

Please remember that I said some not all btw - perhaps I should have emphasised this for the slower forumites: Cabourn clearly makes some lovely stuff that is very wearable.

10. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

I wouldn't recommend it, but I'm certainly guilty of it.

11. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Have you guys seen the Penfield Cameraman aka. Kasson

12. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

13. robin

robin Senior member

^ The Universal Works piece seems like it's more of a donkey jacket.

14. nixda

nixda Senior member

Is it fair to say that the 'cameraman style' jacket is an NC design? I understand that integrated two different historical jackets into one. Basically they are the top and lower parts of the cameraman. I'm wondering though if all the cameraman look-alike jackets are basically rip-offs of the NC one.

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

Opening Ceremony was the worst culprit. The first year they started selling Cabourn, they sold a Cameraman and an exact copy from their house label.