Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. zissou

zissou Senior member

Nice Cameraman, irbe. Taped seams aren't necessary- it will still keep you plenty dry. I wore mine with a wool sweater yesterday, and it was great. As I was walking across campus in the middle of a snow flurry, I felt like I was well dressed for the weather. The Harris Tweed body did a nice job of keeping me warm.

Thinking back to the photo that Fok posted, as well as the idea that that was the ideal fit, I was actually glad that my Cabourn outerwear does not fit like that. Wearing both a wool knit and a Cameraman that fit fairly close to my body surely kept me warmer than wearing them one size larger for that slouchy fit. So, I fail to see a practical reason to wear Cabourn slouchy. Personal preference (or to sell stuff at a trade show) is certainly fine. But, I think a fit like that holds less weight in my mind than any other. Nigel looks good in what he does, but I wouldn't even attempt this myself.
    [​IMG]

2. nixda

nixda Senior member

Having a bit of an air gap between layers of clothing creates a better insulator. Imagine a down jacket completely compressed. It wouldn't have any insulating properties left. Having said that, I think Cabourn's coat is much too big (or slouchy) and sleeves are too long.

3. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

Taped seams aren't for snow, but for rain, as rain penetrates the cloth faster and harder than snow.

Tenue De Nimes has a Everest in Blue size 50 for 1999,99euros, if anyone is looking.
    http://www.tenuedenimes.com/shop/product/everest-parka/

4. zissou

zissou Senior member

That's the point of the sweater, especially if it is a thick one. Having a sizable air gap between the sweater and jacket allows the wind to blow up the jacket. As an analogy, I owned a TNF Nuptse jacket way back when, and despite looking like the Michelin man, I was never that warm because the jacket was too large on me. Now, I use a Nau down shirt. Even though it has about half the fill, it is warmer because it fits me so well.

Which is why it wouldn't make sense for the Cameraman to have taped seams. It's not a rain jacket.

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

ahh kay gotcha. Good to know it will hold up well.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

It's at much a raincoat as a 60/40 etc. and people use them every day as a "raincoat" during fall, and it should be sufficient unless you are outside a lot.

7. zissou

zissou Senior member

I don't consider a 60/40 to be a rain coat either. If there is a steady rain outside, I always pass up my Cameraman and 60/40 for full goretex (with taped seams). Sure, a 60/40 or Cameraman would be fine in a light rain, but neither would last long in a steady rain.

I suspect the reason why the Mackintosh top of a Cameraman does not have taped seams like a full Mackintosh coat is because they are intended for different functions- the Mac is a raincoat, and the Cameraman is for snow:

"Inspired by a jacket worn by Wilfrid Noyce on an Everest expedition, the Cameraman jacket has an upper made of Mackintosh,
    and a lower made of Harris Tweed, to keep the wearer warm in extreme conditions. It features specially made metal clips, and waxed cord in the hood and hem."
    It generally doesn't rain on Everest.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

8. Find Finn

Find Finn Senior member

People around here sell 60/40 etc. as being water-resistant and good enough for fall rain, I had a argument with a shop owner, who sold water-resistant as waterproof and he wholehearted believed it was. :brick:

I wouldn't wear a Cameraman in below 0C temperatures, I can't imagine it being near warm enough even with layering, as it's just a shell without any insulation (I don't own), I wear a full gore-tex with primaloft insulation coat and three layers underneath (one being a heavy knit) and I still think it's cold as ****, but then again I'm outside a lot.

9. zissou

zissou Senior member

A Cameraman with a heavy wool sweater is fine down to about -10C.

I have an entirely different wardrobe full of polypro, merino wool, microfleece, primaloft, down, goretex, and whatever Nau's waterproof shell material is for days when I'm outside doing sports or field work.

10. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Looking at that fur jacket makes me salivate (though on closer inspection I don't really like the exterior).

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

11. Blyndon

Blyndon Well-Known Member

sorry to go over this again but is a small at Barneys a 48 in Cabourn?

12. xiaogwuay

xiaogwuay Senior member

@Blyndon - Yes, 48 is a Small and 50 is a Medium. I had tried on one at Barneys that was marked Small at 46 but it was mismarked as I had ordered a Medium and received a 50 on another piece.

13. Blyndon

Blyndon Well-Known Member

Thanks, I appreciate you getting back to me. That helps a lot.

14. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I've not worn one in cold quite as low as that, but at -6 it's been perfectly fine.

15. evel

evel Active Member

Had to dig the car outta snow this morn for the missis, put on the cabourn 4 way roll neck and we are ready to go, love this jumper!