• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A bunch of SS12 is up on End. I like the tan Tenzing Jacket- maybe something to replace my beat up Spiewak?
On second thought, that cotton Mallory looks so good. (sleeves look a little short, though)

I think I prefer the Tenzing to the Mallory - both nice jackets though. I like this year's SS12 much more than SS11.

Kurakki

Reaction score
Hello I am interested in the sale. But I dunno if it will fits me. Could anyone tell me if the size 48 in general will fit a 175 cm 60kg person? Thank you!

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed, MoK. I didn't even consider anything from SS11.

xiaogwuay

Reaction score
@irbe - the authentic line in a 48 would be like a M in America. I wear a 50 Tenzing on the main line... anything in 50 on the authentic side is a whole size too big for me. My typical jacket is 18-18.5 inches shoulder to shoulder, 26-26.5 shoulder to sleeve, 21 to 22 pit to pit. Hope that helps.

@kurakki - hope my measurements help. You sound like a 46 in Authentic, and 48 in the mainline.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, I finally picked up the navy clip jacket I asked about originally a few pages back. At the previous marked-down price, I couldn't do it. But this sale dropped it by another ~$150, so that made it worthwhile.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@irbe - the authentic line in a 48 would be like a M in America. I wear a 50 Tenzing on the main line... anything in 50 on the authentic side is a whole size too big for me. My typical jacket is 18-18.5 inches shoulder to shoulder, 26-26.5 shoulder to sleeve, 21 to 22 pit to pit. Hope that helps.
@kurakki - hope my measurements help. You sound like a 46 in Authentic, and 48 in the mainline.

I think you need to be careful about the sizing advice you are giving out.

You're saying that you're a 48 in the Authentic Line (UK), but 50 in the Main Line (JP), so there must be a sizing discrepancy between the two lines. But it looks like your Main Line items are predominantly SS, whereas your Authentic Line items are mainly AW. As such, they are sized differently. AW jackets are going to be a little larger because they are meant to fit over several layers. The Main Line jacket in the photo that you posted already looks rather long on you, so I'm not surprised that AW jackets are even larger. If you are wanting to have a slim fit, then I'm not surprised that you are sizing down on AW (Authentic Line) stuff. I think a lot of people expect the Mallory or DB jacket to fit like a suit jacket, but that's just not the intention as far as I can tell. They're more like short coats.

Curiously, the measurements you give above for your typical jacket are actually larger than those for my Harris Tweed Mallory in size 50 (Authentic Line). One of the things that I especially like about Cabourn is the consistency of sizing. The same size in several jackets does not equate to the same measurements, though. But, this makes sense, because a Tenzing is meant to be worn over a shirt (so it's smaller), a Mallory is meant to be worn over a shirt and vest (so it's a little larger), and a Cameraman is meant to be worn as an overcoat over a heavy knit or even another jacket (so it's even larger). As such, I wear a size 50 in all three. In fact, Cabourn does such a great job on sizing that it's not easy to go up or down one size, as people are sure to realize when they buy something in the wrong size just because it is on sale.

Last edited:

xiaogwuay

Reaction score

Ok, I finally picked up the navy clip jacket I asked about originally a few pages back. At the previous marked-down price, I couldn't do it. But this sale dropped it by another ~$150, so that made it worthwhile.

Which sale has it for $150!? haha that's a great deal!

xiaogwuay

Reaction score

I think you need to be careful about the sizing advice you are giving out.
You're saying that you're a 48 in the Authentic Line (UK), but 50 in the Main Line (JP), so there must be a sizing discrepancy between the two lines. But it looks like your Main Line items are predominantly SS, whereas your Authentic Line items are mainly AW. As such, they are sized differently. AW jackets are going to be a little larger because they are meant to fit over several layers. The Main Line jacket in the photo that you posted already looks rather long on you, so I'm not surprised that AW jackets are even larger. If you are wanting to have a slim fit, then I'm not surprised that you are sizing down on AW (Authentic Line) stuff. I think a lot of people expect the Mallory or DB jacket to fit like a suit jacket, but that's just not the intention as far as I can tell. They're more like short coats.
Curiously, the measurements you give above for your typical jacket are actually larger than those for my Harris Tweed Mallory in size 50 (Authentic Line). One of the things that I especially like about Cabourn is the consistency of sizing. The same size in several jackets does not equate to the same measurements, though. But, this makes sense, because a Tenzing is meant to be worn over a shirt (so it's smaller), a Mallory is meant to be worn over a shirt and vest (so it's a little larger), and a Cameraman is meant to be worn as an overcoat over a heavy knit or even another jacket (so it's even larger). As such, I wear a size 50 in all three.

I believe the jackets I picked up from Hong Kong were AW11/12 Mainlines. But I agree with everything you said. I just prefer to wear everything more fitted. Thanks for the words and wisdom! =)

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Which sale has it for $150!? haha that's a great deal!

Sorry, to clarify -- it was indeed from the Superdenim sample sale, but the price now is $150 lower than the previous price. So it's still comes it at just under $300, but that's reasonable to me, for the colour I really wanted (and with free shipping because I picked up another piece too to get it over Superdenim's minimum).

Kurakki

Reaction score
Thanks for xiaogwuay and zissou advice. Probably Should stick with 46 as it usually fits me best(as I am a tiny guy), if that is the case. Thinking to get the surface jacket as a rain coat.

Last edited:

halberdklown

Reaction score
I wish there was a place in Los Angeles to try this stuff on. Despite the feedback I got, I'd desperately love to try a size 52 mallory, if anything just for the peace of mind. I was about to get the one left at Flannels but someone beat me to it :(

KamChan

Reaction score
I am surprise that no one pick up that navy reversible shirt. I have the regular production one and the quality is incredible.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads