Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

I have an opportunity to purchase a Cameraman (harris tweed + mackintosh) in size 48. Slighty unsure of the sizing on this jacket. I am about a 39" chest + 33" waist + 5'11". From the posts in this thread, it seems that people of comparable measurements are wearing the Cameraman in a 48. Do any of you wish you had gone with a size 50 instead?

2. xiaogwuay

xiaogwuay Senior member

@Nixda that helps A LOT. I fit the Cameraman on the 50 perfect and I'm 6 ft call w/ 32 waist with long arms. So I'm guessing the 48 in the Mallory probably won't fit me at all.

So as far as the 50 vs. 52, how did the body fit? Was it just the arms that were longer?

TO THE FORUM:

Has anyone soaked their Mallory and gone for the rugged look yet? haha its quite the expensive piece to put through the process so I"m wondeirng if anyone has done it before and if so, could post some fit pics!!! Thanks Folks!

3. nixda

nixda Senior member

I'm a 34/35 waist as reference. The body on the 50 was slimmer than the 52. I would have had difficulty getting a sweater or the vest under it. I also bought the vest in 52, which fits perfectly. End Clothing seems to have it nailed down as far as the sizing descriptions go. Here's the one for the Mallory:

"The Mallory Jacket is a regular, to slightly slim fit - we would advise buying a size up if you intend to wear a knit underneath, or your regular size for a slimmer fit."

I think the Cameraman was considered 'regular fit' (looking at some google cached pages).

4. Blyndon

Blyndon Well-Known Member

yep, did it, shrinks about half a size, you notice it most in the jacket length and sleeves. i didn't wring out the jacket i rolled it in a towel like a piece of knitwear and then hung it on a good hanger to dry. Fit is much better now for me and it looks pretty much like it did when i bought it just a bit smaller. i didn't soak it for very long and the water was quite cool. If you are thinking of it exercise caution, i did it because i hated the fit, way to large for me. Now i wear the jacket a lot. Sorry there won't be fit pics, i'm not good at that.

5. halberdklown

halberdklown Senior member

looks like I may need some sizing advice as well:
    Since I got my mallory, I've been noticing a lot of other fit pics of it as well as blazers in general (I've had only one since late 8th grade that was oversized, and never got a new one since), and I'm starting to think the shoulders on mine are a bit oversized. I got a larger size than I've seen on any forums, size 54, reason being because I'm a bit of a gym rat. Now, the chest fits me quite well, doesn't look oversized at all nor is it by any means tight. My arms completely fill it out, and in the picture I have a thick fleece sweater and a short sleeve under that on. As you can see, the shoulder area seems to jut out a tiny bit, and it is especially noticeable If i have my hands inside the pockets as two little "pinches" at the tip of the shoulder. I don't know if I should go down a size, since I've been losing quite a bit of weight these days. I used to be a 46.5" chest just a couple of months ago, and am now 43.5", measuring around at the nipples. My greatest problem when it comes to clothes is my arms and my wide back. (I'm 5'7" btw, so quite short" what do you guys think? It almost looks like I have shoulder pads on

[​IMG]

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

^ the shoulders look okay to me - traditional English styling tends to have slightly more built up and extended shoulders than US and Italian jackets - personally I like that, but then it's what I'm used to. To be honest I'd say the chest looked a tad tight though.

7. halberdklown

yea, I was extending my arms back in a weird way for some reason, so it was pulling it back for sure, plus the thigh sweater. I guess I find it off considering the fit pics I've seen, like:[​IMG]

8. meso

meso Senior member

That really doesn't look too comfortable. Plus dude has layering.
    Do you want to be popping buttons off when you sit down?
    Your pic looks much better in general, with the exception of the arms, which look weirdly too long.

9. TheChefs

TheChefs Well-Known Member

Can you take another photo from further away with your arms down? Also keeping your shoulders in nutral position instead of trying to show of your pecks (as a former gym rat myself I know it's very tempting :) )

I think it will be a lot better indicator of the fit. It seems to be fine and I don't think you need to go down a size if you plan to layer underneath it. But post some better photos.

10. halberdklown

albeit it's a little dark, I tried given my lighting. Now that I see the picture, I guess I'm starting to see that the "pinching" is only prominent when i put my hands in the front pockets or just bend them in general, which sounds normal to me. Guess I was just getting too picky, but I guess when you get something like this, you're allowed to be picky about it looking how you'd hope.

And Meso, they don't seem too long to me, they ride up whenever I move my arms forward or something like that so I think any shorter would make the ride up look too weird. Plus, it doesn't help that I'm 5'7" with a 54 jacket
    [​IMG]

11. London

London Senior member

get the sleeves tailored.

12. mcqueen

mcqueen Senior member

So, I went ahead and bought the size 48 Cameraman. Hopefully it will fit, if not, I may be looking to trade for a size 50.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  13. clausc

clausc Senior member

PREVIEW Nigel Cabourn Samples and Deadstock Sale - Online 2pm GMT Wednesday 1st Feb @Superdenim

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Thanks for posting.

Anyone know what the rings are on this shirt instead of buttons? From looking at it, I can't figure out how they would undo . . . . Are they snap buttons on the back?

[​IMG]

15. zissou

zissou Senior member

It's a reversible shirt, so the buttons are on split rings. If you want to wear it reversed, you need to undo the buttons and flip them around so the rings are on the inside.