• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nigel Cabourn

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen -- I appreciate any feedback on the difference in fabrics in the Clip jacket between seasons. The most current version (like shown on superdenim) appears to be all cotton. I believe older versions were made from a cotton / wool blend. I came across a post on the intertrons a while back explaining the difference but cannot find it now. And for those who own it...worth the $400-500+? Thanks

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the older versions were lined with wool, making them rather toasty. The current versions are basically sweatshirts, so you can decide if they are worth the price...

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of the older versions were lined with wool, making them rather toasty. The current versions are basically sweatshirts, so you can decide if they are worth the price...

Yes - they're still nice, but the price difference between those and the heritage Research version is pretty big...

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. It actually seemed that way to me as well -- perhaps I might be getting something a bit more unique (if that makes sense) with the wool blend compared to the pure cotton version. Superdenim indicates it's loopwheeled cotton, and I'm sure the usual Nigel Cabourn quality is there, but we're still talking five bills for essentially a sweat top.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Exactly. I wear a warm wool sweater under my Cameraman, and I'm fine on just about any snowy winter day. It's a brilliant coat for days like that.

I find it idealprecisely because it allows for a thick sweater or even a jacket underneath (if you order tts).

xiaogwuay

Reaction score
Ya I found another version at J Crew as well. I love Cabourn but definitely not worth $500 to me.

On another note * * * TO THOSE WHO MADE ALTERATIONS TO THEIR CAMERAMAN JACKETS * * *

I took my jacket to the tailor today and see told me she couldn't alter just the bottom part where the Tweed is because of the two holes that were in the arm pits of the mackintosh part of the jacket. I know some of you guys had yours tailored down so I'm wondering if any of you took the waist in? What did you guys end up doing and how did the tailor deal with this? I have 42 shoulders and long arms so the Mackintosh part on shoulder and length on the arms are PERFECT on me but the Tweed part, although it looks OK, its still a bit wide for my taste.

Any insight would be appreciated folks! And if anyone is in the LA area, any referal to an awesome tailor would be appreciated too!

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have 42 shoulders and long arms so the Mackintosh part on shoulder and length on the arms are PERFECT on me but the Tweed part, although it looks OK, its still a bit wide for my taste.
Any insight would be appreciated folks! And if anyone is in the LA area, any referal to an awesome tailor would be appreciated too!

This isn't dior homme/BoO skinny fitting stuff - you will learn to embrace the Cabourn fit in the body. It looks much better without tailoring, especially since you appear to be very broad from how you describe yourself.

Speaking of tailoring, i dont think i've seen a tailoring job of the cameraman look as good as the original fit.

xiaogwuay

Reaction score
Hey Ari I actually wore the Cameraman and I think you're right. I got used to it by the time I took it off and realized its a rain jacket and shouldn't really be too form fitting. Especially if there are times when you will wear stuff underneath as well.

Does ANYONE own the King George Coat? I'm REALLY Curious what the fit looks like. I haven't seen a nice looking fit on anyone model yet so I'm curious if anyone owns it and can share some pictures.

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the king george fits me like a glove. I have the camerman and the king george fit is so much better.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Would you be able post some fit pics for comparison?

xiaogwuay

Reaction score
YES! Please post some comparison pics!!!! If I wore a 50 in the Cameraman, do you think I would wear a 50 in the King George?

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really post pics of me wearing stuff on this forum. I'm a usually a true medium in most brands, but Cabourn runs large so all of my NC pieces are in a 48. The King George is a lot more tailored fit compared to the camerman which fits boxier.

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because I love this image, here's what Mallory was wearing on his last ascent of Everest:
george_mallory_clothing.jpg

•Base - Smedley silk/wool long sleeve vest
•Mid - Tussah silk sports shirt
•Mid - Fine Shetland wool pullover
•Mid - Cultivated silk sports shirt, (Junior Army & Navy)
•Mid - Wool flannel sports shirt
•Outer - Burberry Cotton Gabardine ‘Everywhere’ jacket
Presumably if you replaced the cotton garbardine everwhere jacket with the Cameraman, you'd be fine.

If you were in as good as shape as Mallory, Hillary, or Tenzing.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great photo, j_t. I watched a documentary a while back about Mallory and Irvine- I can't remember if it was by National Geographic, or someone else. Anyway, the two climbers (I think Conrad Anker was one) were attempting the Hillary Step without ladders to see if Mallory could have made it to the summit. At one point, they donned replicas of Mallory and Irvine's attire while on the mountain, and promptly froze their asses off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads