1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

I believe I started this thread although I am not much of a workwear guy. I haven't bought anything beside the cameraman (macintosh/harris tweed) that is still one of my favourite coats, this piece truly has staying power as it has been a few yrs already.

2. Tramlines

Tramlines Well-Known Member

Thanks Eric - that's surprising and welcome to hear! 2 years ago, he produced a military duffel bag - I like doing my shopping in that :)

I tend to prefer Cabourn's outerwear than innerwear (prefer boring ol' Schiesser Revival :)) - main reason being that I just throw sports gear into the washing machine and it doesn't always come out the same shape.

Cabourn's sizing is perplexing for me. He trades on the "Authentic Heritage" ethos, yet his sizings are anything but. If anything, his Medium is a gigantic compared to the 1940s or 1930's sizings.

It's interesting hearing the long-termers views: I find it strange that anyone has a complete devotion to one designer; usually 1 or 2 pieces of a designer stand out for me. The cameraman - definitely! Love this. But then I love all of his coats in the Authentic range.

3. Tramlines

Tramlines Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting the thread Fuuma - 443 pages later, we owe you one :)

I've only come to know Cabourn in the past few years (having the Army Gym in London helps). His collaboration with Fox Flannels, island weavers in the Isle of Lewis doing the Harris tweed (a specific group) and Irish Linen craft are the pieces I've come to like most from Cabourn. When he sources interesting materials within the British Isles, his work just moves to another dimension.

Workwear I've tried to get into, but dressing like a 19th century miner just doesn't cut it every day.

4. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Distinguished Member

That's how I feel about the entire line. The main criticism of Cabourn is that once you own a few pieces -- that's kind of it. Which is kind of true, but isn't that also great? That's almost what fashion should be about. Stuff that you love even years and years after purchasing, never feeling the need to buy more because the designer isn't constantly wiping the slate clean and starting anew.

There isn't much from Cabourn's line nowadays that I want to buy, but only because it feels redundant with what's already in my closet.