1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Nookitect

Nookitect Well-Known Member

2. Montana-406

Montana-406 Member

I may be resurrecting an old thread, but I was recently able to get the Filson X Nigel Cabourn Clip Coat in a size Medium. I love it, but the seller had lost the button in wind flap. I am someone that will be really using this coat as workwear in Western Montana, and would really love to have a storm flap made by a local seamstress. I contacted Filson to ask for the dimensions, but they claimed they didn’t keep those records. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for any help!

3. zissou

zissou Distinguished Member

The best thing is to design your own. A lot of times, the storm flaps are so small that it results in a tight, uncomfortable fit.

4. Nookitect

Nookitect Well-Known Member

Anyone know when sale starts on Cabourn's website?

5. Werder

Werder Well-Known Member

Sale is on at Cabourn.com and also at endclothing.com

Anyone bought anything for the Peak Performance collection? Or the AW17 collection?

6. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

Nothing for me. I'm pretty much done with Cabourn though as I have too much already. It doesn't hurt that there's nothing new that interests me. This arguably the worst collection I've ever seen from him, AW or otherwise. Only things I potentially foresee buying would be "Cabourn Classics", a well priced Everest or Antarctic parka or a Cabourn x Lavenham Mallory (which if anyone sees one in a size 50 please note and let me know).

All of that said I did order a Cameraman last night. I went to Mr Porter to see what Drakes items they had and noticed my cart said I had two items in it. I was curious what I had put in since I knew I hadn't shopped Mr Porter in a while. Turned out one of them was last year's Converse Cameraman at the sale price. When I clicked on it to open the individual product page it said something like "no longer available and won't be in the future." Still it was in my bag. So I ordered it expecting the order to be cancelled. Got an email today saying it was dispatched. Very odd but if it comes I'll keep it, not that I need another navy colorway Harris Tweed Cameraman.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm also interested in the Peak Performance pants and would be interested in people's feedback on both the fit and the materials.

8. Werder

Werder Well-Known Member

I am pretty much done with Cabourn myself. Its interesting to see what comes each season, but i am quite happy with what i already got from Cabourn (Navy mallory jacket).

I think the Converse Cameraman is cool, but do you have any experience with the new fishtail version of the jacket? How does the mackintosh cope with bad weather?

9. zissou

zissou Distinguished Member

I'm pretty much done buying Cabourn, too. After four Mallorys (two HT, two linen), two Cameramans, and a bunch of knits (really, ESK), a few Ventile Bosey boots, and a bunch of old school xARN trousers, I can't imagine buying anything else. Cabourn hit its peak, in my opinion, about 3-4 years ago.

10. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Distinguished Member

I have the SS17 fishtail Cameraman. Love the colorway of it. AW17 ones though don't do anything for me and I think the fishtail is kind of long. I some older Cameramen with Mackintosh uppers and they cope fine. I've never had them in a downpour or anything, but they've all done well in some rain. Some will complain that it can get a bit humid under the jacket thanks to the Mackintosh. While it can get a bit humid, I've always found that overstated.

I have quite a bit more and feel like I have too much to a degree, but I've recently sold some off and will sell some more in the future. What I can say is that I definitely rotate what I have and have got good use out of it. Puffa Jacket has been a welcome go-to the last week or so with this cold weather. -35 wind chill today...

I really wanted to get to your point about the peak. I totally agree. I won't knock Cabourn as I understand the need to innovate some of the designs, but for me it's lost some of the heritage look/feel. Of course I think menswear overall peaked around the same time based on what I like, but I think that's partially age dependent. I'm looking to invest in pieces I'll be comfortable wearing until they wear out. Right now the only brand that really interests me is Drake's and sadly they're overpriced.

11. the year 1492

the year 1492 Senior Member

I'm in agreement with you guys saying Nigel peaked a few years ago (although I would actually put it at ~2012 ish). I've come and gone on the brand a handful of times.

My general gripe is that once you take the plunge and grab a mallory or one of the "classics" that's sort of it. The rest of the collection is there, and changes bit by bit each season, but I think Nigel's interpretations/design has been a little bit off of where I'm going in a fashion sense. I don't the drift towards more branding -- for example when they started using the arrow design and a tag that had suggested specs of the wearer (hopefully you guys remember what I mean). There's been a good amount of blatant branding in the recent collections, too. Some of the stuff on sale right now on the site show it pretty well. There are a handful of sweaters with an embroidered NC signature or knits that have the cabourn icon front and center below the chin. I get that some people like that, but when I think about the Cabourn ethos, it's not about being a billboard, it's about the reproduction of textile and technique from a bygone era.

All that said: I am on the lookout for a white/blue hooded blanket jacket in size 48 or 50. If anyone sees one in stock anywhere, please let me know! I missed the boat on it and am crushed because I'm feeling the white wool. Also, if anyone has this jacket and can comment on sizing/fit, it would be much appreciated.

12. bokko887

bokko887 New Member

Can you wear the Nigel Cabourn balaclava limited edition also like a scarf/buff ?

13. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior Member

No the eye hole is too narrow and if you stretch it, it will ruin it

14. Tramlines

Tramlines Active Member

15. Eric Gill Sans

Eric Gill Sans Senior Member

Bought a few Army Gym stuff over two orders so I got two of the tote bags

Have to say the quality of the clothes and the tote bags are superb

Probably the best Cabourn has ever got

You can easily do your shopping in the tote - it’s strong and built to last

Just a word of warning that the Grey marl T shirt is big - it does mention it on the site that it is deliberately large as it copies an oversize American style but it is actually larger than the equivalent sized sweatshirt in the matching fabric

I also got the white cotton T Shirt which is in a heavy weight cotton and is just the best

It’s been a couple of seasons since I bought Cabourn for myself but this is by far the nicest cotton Gym stuff I’ve ever handled