1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Nigel Cabourn

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Fuuma, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Werder

Werder Active Member

Doesn't Superdenim stock Cabourn anymore?

2. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

3. mistersparkle

mistersparkle Well-Known Member

Was just going to recommend this place too. I know Psyko has already left Berlin, but for anyone interested, it's worth the visit:

http://www.feinundripp.de/

(And you're also not too far from The Standard for some good pizza.)

4. ike_hiking_boots

ike_hiking_boots Senior member

some stuff for sale on mrrktt is used!

5. irbe

irbe Senior member

I remember Super / Marrkt use to have really good sales for NC stuff, now a days the prices are horrendous.

I just recently picked up a harris tweed mallory. Has anybody got the sleeves shorten yet from the shoulder? I previously had a mallory which i washed and it shrank, it approve the fit overall and shorten the sleeves. Only problem was it also shrank the lapels a little too much for liking. I want to try to get the sleeves shorten however not sure if the ventile part will present a problem.

6. Ciaran

Ciaran Well-Known Member

I would imagine it will be back for the A/W, got an email from Corniche saying they were not carrying NC for the summer as the Authentic collection is too small , but will be back for A/W. I would think Superdenim are the same, but just speculation on my part.

7. Werder

Werder Active Member

Whats your experiences with the quality of Cabourn garments?

I have always been told that the durability of the products should be really good but i had my doubts the last years.

For example did i get holes in my aircraft jacket after just one year with wear. And i experienced the same problem with the lining on Mallory after just two years wear.

I know its "made in England" and all that but would you guys say that the quality is better than most "standard" brands?

Its really cool products and i love the design, but my experience with the quality of the product is not that impressive.

8. irbe

irbe Senior member

I don't have a massive collection when it comes to NC but so far everything has been fine minus a cracked button on my cameraman which customer service replaced.

9. London

London Senior member

I have some old cabourn and the stuff has held up nicely.

10. NickJohannessen

NickJohannessen Senior member

Depends a lot, I guess. Mainly on the materials used. I've used my Harris tweed Mallory jackets lots and they have no issues at all. The silk lining of my super-expensive Cashmere jacket is showing extreme wear after half a dozen occasions. I tried a jacket on in the shop last week, not sure which model but it had a very chunky zip. The zip was almost impossible to do up, which didn't bode well for the future.

I have more of an issue with the fabrics used, as the silk lining in the cashmere jacket, or the awful deadstock fabric used on the Atkinson jacket, waistcoat an farm pants last year. Garments tend to use fabrics that sounds awesome, but end up with a "dry cleaning only" label, and may actually not be that great in use. An example is the original Cameraman with the waterproof Mackintosh fabric and the wool Harris tweed. It's not a raincoat, it's not a warm coat, when do you use it?

At the end of the day, I don't think the quality is any worse or any better than similarly priced garments, but you have to buy into the quirkyness of it all and it's not everyones piece of cake. Incidentally, the deadstock fabric I mentioned is this one:

http://welldresseddad.com/2015/09/02/waistcoat-wednesday-nigel-cabourn-farm-vest/

11. jacksonn

jacksonn Well-Known Member

In my experience the physical quality of Cabourn is fairly appropriate to the price of the garment, given NC's position in the marketplace as quite high-end, but I would caution that Cabourn stuff can age rather dramatically. If you don't like visible signs of wearing on your expensive clothes, NC might not be the way to go in a lot of cases. Nigel seems to love the rugged look and embraces wear and tear - washing items loads and generally treating them quite roughly. I think collectors have to pretty much buy into that, or disappointment awaits.